Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:32 AM

22,910 posts, read 28,237,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Just because the show was from the 70s doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't hold up today. The show was well written, the cast was stellar and it can be watched today and still be laughed at.
Laughed at? Absolutely. And the characters are fun. But I remember when the show first aired that it was seen as ground-breaking because the central character was a professional, successful, single working woman. MTM was seen as the ultimate Feminist heroine on TV, which for the 1970s was still fairly progressive. Nowadays? Not so much.

You can still enjoy the show for the characters and the great humor. But the societal and political commentary seems rather quaint by today's standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 12:41 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,316,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Read the quoted post thoroughly and get back to me.
I read it, and by your logic, because the lines in Casablanca are NOW cliche, the movie is no longer a timeless classic.

FAIL. But thanks for the sarcasm. Hadn't had my recommended daily allowance.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:00 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,625,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Laughed at? Absolutely. And the characters are fun. But I remember when the show first aired that it was seen as ground-breaking because the central character was a professional, successful, single working woman. MTM was seen as the ultimate Feminist heroine on TV, which for the 1970s was still fairly progressive. Nowadays? Not so much.

You can still enjoy the show for the characters and the great humor. But the societal and political commentary seems rather quaint by today's standards.
I meant laugh along with....

Old 09-12-2011, 01:11 PM

41,926 posts, read 75,118,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I read it, and by your logic, because the lines in Casablanca are NOW cliche, the movie is no longer a timeless classic.
You must not be very logical, and no one was talking about Casablanca; it's not a TV show. Apples and oranges, darlin' ... apples and oranges.

Apparently you missed the part where I acknowledged I Love Lucy's unmistakable role in forming the basis for every situation comedy that's come after it. Reading is fundamental!

And I'm sorry I hurt your widdle feelings by not liking your favorite TV show.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:19 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,846,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
why is three's company not timeless?
The show was good and everything but their antics were so predictable. Mr. Roper and Larry made the show.

-Cheers.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:06 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,315,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
One show that is now increasingly forgotten with the passing of the WW2 generation is the show Combat! which aired on ABC for 5 seasons in the 1960's and was all about the trials of an infantry squad on the western front in 1944-1945. Still a great show and just as watchable as when I first saw it as a kid in the 1980's.
Interesting note on that: living here in Japan, it never fails to astound me how popular Combat! was with the generation born in Japan in the 1960s -- and how well it`s stood the test of time.

If you ever make it to Japan, just say Combat! loudly. If it`s a friendly group, or some folks having a few beers, someone is bound to go

BA-BA-BA-BA BA-BUM!

Now,as to why this is the case.....well, that`s a question for the sociologists...

Old 09-12-2011, 05:24 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,979,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Married with Children was a reaction to the Cosby show and other "sweet" family sitcoms that were popular at that time. I'd guess it doesn't stand the test of time when it's viewed on its own, half of the humor was because it was so different and opposite to the other shows out there.
you can say the same about roseanne

Old 09-12-2011, 06:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,425,824 times
I always think of a friend of mine when I hear someone calling The Cosby Show "sweet." This friend hated the show because he felt that Cliff Huxtable was overly sarcastic and mean to his children. It just goes to show different perspectives people have on things.

As for me, I didn't watch the show very often. It just didn't "grab" me.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:50 AM

22,910 posts, read 28,237,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I meant laugh along with....
Semantic point and fair enough. You're right.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:34 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,035,605 times
I've seen some old episodes of Little House On The Prairie and they still seem pretty fresh. The characters were just awesome even if some of the stories were a little hokey.
They said that certain shows set in a specific time period will never seem dated. Happy Days, The Waltons, LHOTP, Bonanza( which has been rerun so much it is stale to me).
I've noticed that The Cosby Show has disappeared.
Still there are some shows I would like to see again. The Love Boat, Mr Belvedere, Newhart, My Three Sons, Magnum PI, Dennis The Menace, Alf, and of course, What A Dummy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV