U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-27-2011, 08:38 PM

15,293 posts, read 10,408,295 times
Question Television Shows That DO and DON'T "Stand The Test Of Time"?

I used to love watching In Living Color and Married With Children......I tried watching marathons of those shows a few weeks ago and found both not at all funny and frankly "painful" to watch.

Conversely I can still enjoy watching All In The Family.

Why do some Television shows stand the test of time and others fail dismally?????

Some stay universally appealing no matter how much time passes like many older movies become classics.....while others pass into obscurity.

What TV shows stood up in your mind and which shows failed the test of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-27-2011, 09:44 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,282,988 times
Shows that stand up for me: I Love Lucy, The Golden Girls, Family Ties, Roseanne, Leave It To Beaver...obviously many of the themes & fashions are very much of their era, but I find the humor to be pretty timeless and the writing solid enough to stand up to repeat viewings.

Shows that I liked at the time, not so much in retrospect: Kids In The Hall, Beavis & Butthead, Beverly Hills 90210, Arsenio Hall...lol. In Living Color was always hit or miss for me, but I still enjoy Married W/Children in small doses.

Unread 08-28-2011, 08:35 AM

3,225 posts, read 3,703,529 times
I agree about ILC and MWC being hard to watch now; I used to enjoy both in the 90's. I tried to watch an old episode from the Twin Peaks series I used to love, and now it's unbearable to me.
My husband can still watch hours of MWC though.

Shows that will always work for me-Looney Tunes, Seinfeld, the Wonder Years.

Unread 08-28-2011, 09:13 AM

2,503 posts, read 1,539,372 times
The Looney Tunes, Doug, All That, Catdog, Rugrats, Family Matters, and The Nanny all stand the test of time!

Unread 08-28-2011, 09:52 AM

22,909 posts, read 26,403,034 times
The Andy Griffith Show, to me, is timeless. What I love most about Andy Griffith is that Andy Taylor is the smartest person in the room, and no one ever realizes it - sometimes, not even him. There's a lot there about respect, humility, and decency.

I Love Lucy, as much as it wrote the book on situation comedy, is tired and worn. So much of the comedy now is cliche, and Lucy's obsession with movie stars and show business is tiresome. When the focus is on domestic comedy, those episodes are still watchable.

Unread 08-28-2011, 02:26 PM

12,938 posts, read 8,461,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The Andy Griffith Show, to me, is timeless. What I love most about Andy Griffith is that Andy Taylor is the smartest person in the room, and no one ever realizes it - sometimes, not even him. There's a lot there about respect, humility, and decency.

I Love Lucy, as much as it wrote the book on situation comedy, is tired and worn. So much of the comedy now is cliche, and Lucy's obsession with movie stars and show business is tiresome. When the focus is on domestic comedy, those episodes are still watchable.
Wow! Are you sure you haven't been reading my mind?

I so agree with both of your observations.

Unread 08-28-2011, 03:01 PM

7,537 posts, read 9,639,102 times
I've always found Married With Children obnoxious, mean, and unfunny.

Most 1970s cop shows don't hold up either.

Unread 08-28-2011, 05:12 PM

3,116 posts, read 3,313,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
All In The Family
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Roseanne
I caught a few episodes of Roseanne recently and was amazed at how good it was - I definitely didn't appreciate what a well-written show it was the first time around. All in the Family was in reruns already when I was young, but it too is a show that really holds up well.

The show that doesn't hold up AT ALL for me? The Cosby Show! I saw part of an episode recently and wondered why on earth it was so popular? it was the number one show for a long time - but in my opinion, it doesn't hold up at all today.

Unread 08-28-2011, 05:23 PM

5,349 posts, read 3,293,931 times
Still love to this day - The Original Star Trek.

Used to love, but just looks silly now - Outer Limits

Unread 08-28-2011, 05:42 PM

12,938 posts, read 8,461,781 times
I wathed All In The Family when it was first run. It was quite an innovative show for those days. Now it seems a bit strident and hit-you-over-the-head with it's messages.

But I think it still holds up because the acting is great. Jean Stapleton was absolutely wonderful. I love to watch her for the mannerisms and soul she gave Edith. It's interesting if you watch the first episode, the characters are a bit different. Edith is actually sarcastic, Gloria is a whining little thing and Archie does not appear to have any redeeming qualities whatsoever.

These things slowly changed. We did have to like Archie sometimes. Edith became more loveable and Gloria a bit more intelligent. Of all the characters, I think Gloria was never really allowed to live up to her potential.

But that's nit-picking. I still like the show and often watch the re-runs. If it does nothing other than show us how things were in the 70's it still holds up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV