Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 02:40 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,766,516 times

Advertisements

It's not that Rachel is ashamed of being a paralegal. She wants to move forward and be a lawyer. Remember season one she talked about taking the LSATs numerous times and she'd choke (remember the episode she unknowingly tried to hire Mike to take the LSAT for her?). The Harvard and only Harvard thing? Maybe part is because of her dad and the other is she wants to work for Pierson (it's no longer Pierson-Hardman). Just a guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 03:27 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesG73 View Post
It's not that Rachel is ashamed of being a paralegal. She wants to move forward and be a lawyer. Remember season one she talked about taking the LSATs numerous times and she'd choke (remember the episode she unknowingly tried to hire Mike to take the LSAT for her?). The Harvard and only Harvard thing? Maybe part is because of her dad and the other is she wants to work for Pierson (it's no longer Pierson-Hardman). Just a guess
I understand that they are trying to portray a person who hasn't achieved what she hoped to, it doesn't quite play that way though, it really does portray a paralegal as this low level position of little respect. The other paralegal on the phone with her bf and never working, the idea that a lawyer would never marry a paralegal, or an associate whining, "but she's not even a lawyer," when Rachel was asked to do legal work, that stuff is all absurd. A paralegals job is to do legal work, receptionists or secretaries usually make copies, not paralegals, and one on the phone gossiping would be immediately fired. Rachel also would make more money that the newer associates, but she's implied money is a struggle, maybe it is compared to her wealthy upbringing, but for a young woman in NYC, she'd be doing quite well.

Paralegals work side by side with lawyers on cases, often the paralegal does everything, but stand up in court. I know one who does almost all the firms writing, briefs, contracts, and all that other legal crap, he does all of it because they all know he's the best writer in the firm, he's respected and paid very well. Almost everything Mike has done would be done by a paralegal.

I agree about the Harvard thing as well, it's just stupid, there are so many great law schools, nobody would limit themselves to one school. No firm would limit themselves to one school, that's insane. Many lists put Yale and Stanford above Harvard, and hello, Columbia, NYU, she lives in NYC. Many Harvard law grads don't even practice law, they use the degree to make a lot of money in other positions because it's a status thing. I know a few Harvard law grads, none of them work as lawyers, but they are all wealthy and planned it that way.

Last edited by detshen; 02-28-2013 at 04:01 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 11:46 PM

884 posts, read 1,171,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
I used to love Rachel. Now I'm so tired of the whole character. I wish she'd leave. It's just "me, me, me" all the time. Get a grip, grow up and move on. Sheesh. And he shouldn't have told her. She'll end "accidentally" telling daddy or Luis and then stuff will hit the fan.

I hate this new thing networks do w/ dividing the seasons up. I HATE it. They're all doing it now, even BBC. Fans do not like and frankly there have been many times that I've stopped watching a show while it's on winter, fall, or spring break. I can't be the only one. I really think it's one of the main reasons that Showtime and HBO are doing so well w/ their series. There's no "we'll be back in 4 weeks" or whatever. You can watch knowing that you'll get a full season.
I also think it was a mistake for Mike to tell Rachel the truth. It's definitely going to come back to bite him, but he deserves it.

I hate divided seasons too! It seems like every show I watch does this. Dr. Who does it (5 episodes with Amy and Rory, then several weeks later a Christmas special, then nothing until April?? And that's not the first year, it's been doing that for while), Warehouse 13 does it, now Suits. I don't understand the point to be honest, usually by the time it comes back I forgot what happened several weeks earlier and I'm lost.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:53 PM

884 posts, read 1,171,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcatnip View Post
Absolutely agree w what you guys are saying - while I appreciate no breaks between shows while it's in season, the season itself is a half-season. I don't like that b/c I feel they're just hitting their stride when it's finale time. Doesn't make any sense. Why not just have a 10+ weeks season like they did when USA first started w/ being one of the only things to watch in the summer when the network shows were on hiatus.

I loved 1st season of Suits, but since then it's been fragmented and frankly they seem to have lost their punch. This past "season" has been particularly bad w/ the whole Hardman thing and Harvey's bitchy ex, the annoying Brit boss of hers, Mike being so dumb, and last but not least is Rachel's whining.

I've had paralegal friends who make good money and are invaluable to their firms. There's no shame at all in it, in fact it's a very valid profession, so why would Rachel (who is supposedly the best at the firm) always so apologetic and embarrassed!? Only thing they managed to kind of explain this is when they showed her dad is a hotshot lawyer. So maybe that explains why (in her own mind) she feels inferior...

And what's w/ the Harvard obsession? She isn't good enough for Harvard and that's it? She won't even consider another school? That's messed up IMO.

I hope I never need a lawyer, but if I ever do, I would not want to use a law firm where all are grads of one school. I don't care which school that is, Harvard or not. Shouldn't they have a diversity of thoughts and training?

I really hope they improve the writing on this show b/c it's getting close to unwatchable. I say this as someone who couldn't wait for the next epi in its debut season.
I 100% agree, especially with the bolded part. my BF and i were always so excited to watch this when it came on, now he's totally lost interest, and I doubt if I will bother either. Maybe I will join in again mid season if I hear it's gotten better. It's crazy how different season 2 is, it's almost like a whole different show. Season 1 was witty, intelligent, and made me interested in their day to day lives, now it's just a soap opera that happens to be set in a legal office rather than a show about lawyers.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy carrie View Post
I 100% agree, especially with the bolded part. my BF and i were always so excited to watch this when it came on, now he's totally lost interest, and I doubt if I will bother either. Maybe I will join in again mid season if I hear it's gotten better. It's crazy how different season 2 is, it's almost like a whole different show. Season 1 was witty, intelligent, and made me interested in their day to day lives, now it's just a soap opera that happens to be set in a legal office rather than a show about lawyers.
It's been such a disappointment, I loved this show's sense of humor, and sense of fun between the characters. I wish they had sent Rachel to Harvard, Mike needs a love interest with at least a glimmer of self esteem, how can such a beautiful, successful (she may not be on "top," but she's far from a failure) woman be so bloody pathetic?

More Donna interactions would help a lot, also Mike and Harvey used to be fun, I feel like the actors had a fight or something, it's not the same, Harvey really should just fire him at this point.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:56 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
I thought the latest episode was a mess too, having Harvey and Jessica going at each other could have been interesting but just came off as confusing. In Rachel wasn't so easy to look at I couldn't stand any of the show that involved her. Oh boo hoo, you don't get to go to Harvard, youre mad because your boyfriend won't purjure himself for you quit whining. Any way, my wife is a paralegal and loves the show, I like it because it is the first lawyer based show where they dont spend half the episode in a courtroom.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:39 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
The only way to, "save" this show is to start showing Mike, for what he really is, a sociopath con man. Lose the angel wings and halo.

Mike used Harvey and conned him into hiring him for a job. Mike needs to start throwing Harvey under the bus. And Harvey needs to fight back. That would give this show something to watch.

Mike telling anyone his, "con" was the beginning of the end for this show. Rachel is not going to watch Mike making more money than her, with less education. She shoudl also flip on him.

Mike should end up in a prison cell. And the firm should have to tight lawsuits for letting a non attorney working as an attorney. And we should watch Mike manipulate the system and others from prison.

Then, reconcile with Harvey and the firm, and start giving them clients from prison that he met while there..

Old 03-08-2013, 04:55 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
^i like it^

Send it in to USA.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:06 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
This show blows cow balls right now. I don't even wanna watch it anymore.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
This show blows cow balls right now. I don't even wanna watch it anymore.
Colorful description, lol. Right now, I'm agreeing, but I hope they are able to get back on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV