U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 04:25 AM

2,038 posts, read 3,648,425 times

Advertisements

I could tell by the previews that this was most likely going to be a neat and tidy procedural, but in reality the show even more disappointing than I expected.

I don't understand network television's obsession with churning out shows like these. Michael Emerson, as Mr. Finch, the Mr. Wizard Zillionaire who gets lists of social security #'s and has apparent access to every camera in NYC, has the same tense delivery and inflection that made him so captivating in Lost, but elements of the show failed to dovetail for me.

Finch singles out an ex CIA agent/hard drinking subway bum (with what was the worst bum costume ever) who shaves and becomes a clean cut hunk. Mr. Finch can see people about to be involved in crimes, although he doesn't know if they are going to be a perp or victim, through this mysterious computer program. He hires Jesus...oops...the subway bum, John Reece, to help him prevent these crimes.

It's glitter on the pimple that is the crime procedural. The only interesting thing I can see this show doing is manipulating the viewer to hold on to the mystery behind Mr. Finch and how he gets his mysterious list of people about to be involved in crimes. It's a half baked attempt to rip from minority report style pre-emptive crime fighting in a paranoid, post 9/11 NYC. John Reece is fairly one dimensional and the viewer only catches a glimpse of his past...which isn't developed enough to be interesting. His character in the present is not interesting enough for me to suspend disbelief over. The pilot was more tell than show...

The only list Mr. finch will need to worry about is future ratings. I'm sure a lot of Lost fans tuned in and will ultimately be let down.

Last edited by Spraynard Kruger; 09-23-2011 at 04:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 06:42 AM

13,104 posts, read 17,634,355 times
I predict that this one will be the first cancelled show of the season . I disliked it very much and very unbelievable charecters and etc ... did not get a glimpse of his past or anything so it never tied together .

Old 09-23-2011, 08:38 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,540,157 times
I DVR'd it but didn't watch yet, it sounds like one of the few decent new shows in a lineup full of reality crap.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:59 AM

15,371 posts, read 33,754,701 times
We had it on our DVR list because it looked interesting in promo's

It's no longer on the list.....I watched....and BOY do they need some new makeup people on TV....layed it onto the bum with a trowel.

then one shower and he was joestud.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,265,062 times
I felt let down, but did enjoy some of the action bits. Not much of the story worked for me, there were shows with similar themes from the past that tanked and were better written and developed, so, we'll see how this does. Those housewife shows are still going strong, so anything's possible.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:45 AM

51,196 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Default Person of Interest

I made it a point to watch this show because the premise seemed interesting and I like one of the main actors (played Ben in LOST).

Did anyone else watch this last night? I am easily bored by a lot of TV shows, but I will probably watch this one again next week and see how it goes.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:12 PM

7,513 posts, read 6,005,497 times
I thought it was pretty good, I'll watch it again

Old 09-23-2011, 12:36 PM

39,020 posts, read 23,141,190 times
There's already a thread on this show. The consensus seems to be that many were disappointed. I have to say, I liked it. I agree with some of the criticism, like about the make-up. But I still enjoyed it.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:41 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,282,348 times
Yikes, I had it set to dvr and happened to have a free moment when it started so I tuned in. husband got up and went to bed to read about 10 mins in and I follwed shortly after....

I just couldn't wrap my mind around the premise - I mean if you're that rich and want to help people why not do it on a larger scale (like the Gates) I mean, millions die for the lack of basics or medicines/vaccines that cost literally pennies.

The other thing that wasn't working for me is that the future seems to be predetermined, but he can "save" people but doens't that change things for everyone else, or not or what?

Old 09-23-2011, 06:09 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,232,709 times
I only caught half of it. It was more "bloody minded" than I expected, but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV