Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 01:07 AM

8,797 posts, read 21,195,175 times

Advertisements

I guess, because I used to live on Long Island and am very homesick , I watched this show. It's on the TLC channel. Has anyone else seen it? Any opinions? How exactly does she do that, do you think?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,732,969 times
I don't think she is real. I am a huge skeptic when it comes to stuff like this. I don't believe in ghost or dead spirits or mythical creatures. It was somewhat entertaining though.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:50 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,058,293 times
i saw the show and while i am NOT a skeptic,imho--she has borrowed way too much of john edwards style to make me believe totally in her---right down to copying his way of doing her readings--i liked the other long island medium with the radio show and the goofey son that was on for a brief time(forgot the name)---much better

Old 09-26-2011, 12:12 PM

5,463 posts, read 7,038,050 times
When is it on?

Old 09-26-2011, 01:06 PM

242 posts, read 531,025 times
it was on last night at 10 on TLC

Old 09-26-2011, 04:01 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,784,270 times
I enjoyed it. She has a great attitude, and I laughed several times. She does make a living doing readings, but she seems fine with "giving it away for free" when she sees random people in public and a spirit "comes through."

I did notice that she had a lot of the same vocabulary and techniques as John Edward, but that's probably to be expected. People who feel they have these gifts go to others more experienced to mentor them, so they can learn how to refine their gifts. And I'm sure like in any field, there are "best practices" and "state of the art" techniques that run through the whole field. So you're bound to hear many psychics talk about spirits showing them flowers as a symbol, some spirit shoving some other spirit out of the way, as well as the rapid-fire questioning that skeptics say is a technique used by fakes. Just like in the fields we all work in, there are trends and new buzz terms that fly around, and I'm sure the psychic-medium field is no different. I see that as more of being part of a "professional" field of work rather than "copying" behavior.

I tend to start off skeptical about unexplained phenomena, but I do get intrigued by things that seems to defy rational explanation. Even if you're not a believer, you might just enjoy the show for entertainment's sake.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:12 PM

348 posts, read 847,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I guess, because I used to live on Long Island and am very homesick , I watched this show. It's on the TLC channel. Has anyone else seen it? Any opinions? How exactly does she do that, do you think?
Nancy - In terms of "how she does it", I suggest that you read any of the books by James Van Praagh. I read "Talking to Heaven: A Medium's Message of Life After Death". It is an easy read, and is very informative. He recounts sessions with clients over a span of many years and discussing various topical questions. He also goes into detail on how (technical methods) he is a medium. It's like a step-by-step review.

For those who are skeptical, read a book by Lisa Williams. I was familiar with her already, but wanted to learn her story. I read "Life Among the Dead". She is an average, normal person (grew up in England, now lives in the U.S.). She is very engaging, real, genuine, and tells her story from her childhood. Her ability to accurately communicate with those who have passed is amazing. She would literally walk down the street and be able to read messages to random people. Her style is comfortable and unassuming, and she is not flashy in any way.

Also for skeptics --- I also read a book recently by Brian Weiss, M.D., called "Many Lives, Many Masters". AMAZING. He is a prominant psychiatrist (head of prestigious hosptital psych programs, etc.) and he goes into great details about past life therapy (which was not intended --- more accidental) with a patient. This guy is NOT a medium, and had a lot to lose by discussing the past lives that came through hypnosis with one of his patients.

In terms of the Long Island Medium program ---I thought it was good. I think she is genuine and real, and, as shown on the program, she won over skeptics by giving information that no one would know and that she does not fish for. Hopefully going forward she can go more in depth with some of the people she has messages for.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:53 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,428,977 times
I watched the show last night and was pleasantly surprised. She comes off as a real "mom" who just happens to be a medium.

I honestly believe there are people who have this gift and not all mediums are "con artists" or 'scammers" or 'quacks" or anything like that.

I've had "pennies from heaven" so many times, it's just unreal. I've had so many other signs from "the other side" --- I just have no clue who is sending them! Both my parents are deceased since I was a teen and I have no other friends or relatives who died that I was that close to.

I want to watch more of this show and see how it pans out. I'm not going to judge her based upon 2 episodes. (What I find most amazing is that I actually like this woman --- a typical LI suburban mom, with the annoying LI nasal way of talking and her big blonde hair --- the type I usually dislike! I would love to just hang out with her one day with our daughters!)

Old 10-12-2011, 10:41 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,428,977 times
Has anyone been keeping up with this show? Last week (or the week before) was interesting how that little boy, Stephen, kept coming to Theresa and how his mother ended up being at a group reading and he told her (Theresa) that his mommy was there.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:27 PM

18,359 posts, read 31,435,589 times
I too have seen a few episodes and I believe in spirits and the like.
I found her to be likeable, I enjoy watching her. I am sure for the show things are put on a little thick, because everytime she sees someone she has a spirit get to her and has communication.... I can see once and a while, but she seems to have it every person she meets.

none the less, if it is on, I will watch it, I like her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV