Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 06:31 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Why did this show get cancelled? It was like one of the best shows on TV.
Ratings and $$$. If a show such as Detroit 1-8-7 (that is more expensive to produce then reality shows like "Wifeswap", "SuperNanny", "Wipeout" or "Extreme Home Makeover") doesn't come out of the gate with ratings numbers that they like, they dump the show. Its so annoying that the networks don't give great shows like that one a chance to find its audience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 10:44 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I am SOOOOOO sick of all the shows being based in NY or LA. I watch Memphis Beat because its not, Detroit 1-8-7 because its not (and it was good of course),
I like both books and shows and movies to have a strong sense of place......other than NY or LA.
I agree completely! I love it when a show is set somewhere else. I guess Movie and TV producers think nowhere else exists, or matters, but the reality is that many people are totally bored by the sight of NY or LA.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:56 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,210,895 times
Sometimes I wonder about ratings, has anyone ever been asked? I sort of doubt they go by show website, at least not much, based on the quality of posts many people leave...just trolls and rabblerousers So how do they tell? Try to find a number to call or email address to tell someone how you feel. Its hard.

If they do test audiences like they do for movies.................they are probably all in LA or NY! ARGH! So a couple of cities are determining what the rest of us like. Somehow I don't think I'm a typical New Yorker or LA'er.

The tyranny continues.

But then the networks complain about cable and they both complain about Netflix...when they are cutting their own throats with this crap! The more money they try to save on bs cheap reality the more they drive us to watching old TV reruns on Netflix!

So I don't really feel sorry for them but I do feel sorry for myself who has a million channels and barely anything to watch

Old 09-28-2011, 04:23 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
There are sometimes other factors too. I seem to recall a show or two that angered advertisers enough it became unprofitable. Or shows that were so expensive the ratings weren't enough. Or shows like The Eleventh Hour where the overall ratings were okay, but the ratings with 18-45 year-old viewers were deemed too poor.

I didn't hear of any controversy that angered advertisers so maybe Detroit 187 skewed too old or it was just ratings.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:17 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,309,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I agree completely! I love it when a show is set somewhere else. I guess Movie and TV producers think nowhere else exists, or matters, but the reality is that many people are totally bored by the sight of NY or LA.
I go to PBS when I want a change of scenery. The recent Aurelio Zen series on Masterpiece Mysteries was filmed in ROME. Now how could you get more expensive than that? It was utterly gorgeous -- as well as well-written and exciting with some funny side plots, too, mostly poking fun at Italian bureaucracy and police. And starring the dreamy-eyed Rufus Sewell, to top it off (sigh). The Inspector Lewis series, filmed on location in Oxford, is also beautiful to look at and chock full of first-rate actors. How can the BBC/PBS afford this fabulous quality and US network television can't? Answer: they could, but the suits wouldn't get to hog as many profits.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:36 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Sometimes I wonder about ratings, has anyone ever been asked? I sort of doubt they go by show website, at least not much, based on the quality of posts many people leave...just trolls and rabblerousers So how do they tell? Try to find a number to call or email address to tell someone how you feel. Its hard.

If they do test audiences like they do for movies.................they are probably all in LA or NY! ARGH! So a couple of cities are determining what the rest of us like. Somehow I don't think I'm a typical New Yorker or LA'er.

The tyranny continues.

But then the networks complain about cable and they both complain about Netflix...when they are cutting their own throats with this crap! The more money they try to save on bs cheap reality the more they drive us to watching old TV reruns on Netflix!

So I don't really feel sorry for them but I do feel sorry for myself who has a million channels and barely anything to watch
I wore a little monitor for 2 years, it picked up all tv and radio signals to know what people are watching and listening to. Everywhere I went it would pick up the signals, even at traffic lights. There were a lot of people wearing them and monthly large cash prizes if your name was drawn, 3 every month. They got my interest by sending a 10 dollar bill in the mail and they sent it twice before I responded. It was a big pain but you keep hoping you will win the cash prize that was in the thousands and you get a check for 15 a month. Anyway, that is one way they find out. I have wondered if a device has been planted in the new HD tv's. I wouldn't doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV