U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 04:41 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,634,094 times

Advertisements

An excellent show, by its first episode. Great plot and interesting main character with more dimension to her than most of the other female leads. She is damaged but determined.

This comes on right after Dexter, a Showtime double header, and after these we watch Boardwalk Empire. I just love Sundays now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 05:20 PM

8,495 posts, read 11,184,174 times
I was rather disappointed in it. I loved the cast, and the premise is great, but I thought the writing was typical at best. Way too much of the characters telling each other things they already know in order to get info to viewers. I was hoping for Band of Brothers or Breaking Bad quality writing, but so far this feels more like a slightly smarter version of 24.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:55 AM

8,532 posts, read 10,589,090 times
After having seen only 1 episode I believe that Homeland is the best new series this season.

Originally Posted by goldengrain
Quote:
Great plot and interesting main character with more dimension to her than most of the other female leads. She is damaged but determined.
When it comes to female leads Prime Suspect ain't bad either.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 AM

7,339 posts, read 7,723,841 times
I liked it as well.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:29 AM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 2 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,002,926 times
I was a bit disappointed considering the cast and its Showtime. It's only the first episode, though. I'll be back next week.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:51 PM

1,625 posts, read 927,597 times
I liked it a lot. I love Mandy Patinkin(?), so I'm tuning in for him. Isn't he basically playing the same character that he played in Criminal Minds?

I am more interested in Brody's home life than anything. I think that he knows about the wife/best friend relationship. Has he been declared legally dead? He was gone 8 years, and I thought that you had to be dead for 7 for that to occur. That's the only explanation that will make the wife slightly sympathetic.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by mochamajesty
Quote:
I am more interested in Brody's home life than anything. I think that he knows about the wife/best friend relationship.
You know, it occured to me that being betrayed by your wive is a betrayel on a much more personal level (thus cuts deeper) than betraying your country by killing a fellow soldier in order to survive.
So yeah the personal drama is at the very least as interesting as the spy/terrorist stuff ( or the spy stuff is at the very least as interesting as the personal drama).

Quote:
Has he been declared legally dead? He was gone 8 years, and I thought that you had to be dead for 7 for that to occur. That's the only explanation that will make the wife slightly sympathetic.
Wether it was just 1 year or 8, there is nothing worse than having your spouse missing without knowing if he was killed in action. So I find Brody's wife more sympathetic than Brody himself. The only way this would change is when it turns out that his wife cheated on him before he went missing.

I'm very much interested in how Brody will rationalize his wife cheating on him?
I mean the fact that he was willing to kill his partner already proves that his personal survival is far more important to him than his love for his country.
I also wouldn't be surprised if Brody is a victim of the Stockholm Syndrome.
That is unless Brody is much more unsympathetic and calculating that he was willing to kill friend in order to become a deep cover agent, which would turn Homeland into an ordinary 24 clone.
Which would be a major turn off.
The fact that Brody is human and not the ultimate supersoldier like Bauer is the ultimate superspy is 1 of the reasons I believe that Homeland is such a great series.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:43 AM

1,625 posts, read 927,597 times
When I saw the scene where he killed his friend, and was then comforted(?) by his captor, I thought of Stockholm Syndrome as well.

I don't think the affair (and I hesitate to use that word, due to the circumstances) started before he was captured. I really think that there was genuine love/affection between Brody and his wife (forget her name). I think that it was a case of the friend helping out and then feelings developing from there.

I watched an edited version of the pilot, and the "sex" scene between Brody and his wife did not include sound. The scene was much more terrifying that way. It seemed almost like rape, but I am just going by body language. I think the wife may have also said, "No", but I can't remember. It will be interesting to see their relationship evolve. It's almost like they have to get to know each other all over again.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:49 AM

7,339 posts, read 7,723,841 times
It looked to me as if he were raping her too.

As far as the cheating goes, im not sure i would consider that cheating even though she was still married to him. He had been gone for what, like 10 years and she thought he was dead. Is it cheating to cheat on a dead person?

Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by mochamajesty
Quote:
I don't think the affair (and I hesitate to use that word, due to the circumstances) started before he was captured. I really think that there was genuine love/affection between Brody and his wife (forget her name). I think that it was a case of the friend helping out and then feelings developing from there.
I agree, this is why I find the wife more sympathetic than Brody himself.
Not that I find Brody unsympathetic; I mean I don't blame him for being a Stockholm Syndrome victim.
This is the only way for Brady to be a turncoat yet still be sympathetic to the viewers.

Quote:
I watched an edited version of the pilot, and the "sex" scene between Brody and his wife did not include sound. The scene was much more terrifying that way. It seemed almost like rape, but I am just going by body language. I think the wife may have also said, "No", but I can't remember. It will be interesting to see their relationship evolve.
Yeah well lotsa veterans who come back from war suffer from some form of trauma which has a backlash on how they react to sex and intimacy.
I mean there is no greater extreme between war and having sex with your wife, yet both experiences are very intimate.

Originally Posted by skel1977
Quote:
Is it cheating to cheat on a dead person?
The thing is that Brody ain't dead, but I see what you mean.
I don't blame the wife for turning to another man; like I posted before there is nothing worse than not knowing if your spouse has been killed in action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV