Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 10:38 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times

Advertisements

Elise asked Brian May to play on her album. May said, "let's do it". Elise should reach out to Stevie Nicks who was very positive in her critique. Great exit interview on the AI site. I wish the media would stop calling Elise a native of South Carolina. She's a New Jersey native. She graduated from college in South Carolina and now teaches in Charleston.

'American Idol' Castoff Elise Testone Will Be Calling Brian May - Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV

Official Site for Videos, Photos, Community - American Idol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 10:55 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
You really need to learn what the different musical genres are.
Not everything sung on AI is country.
I'm not sure if he's actually country. But he's probably in a room filled with helium when he sings so it's probably messing up his voice and making him sound country. Or that he's stoned. Kidney stoned.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:58 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
P2 doesn't sing country...

Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 AM

908 posts, read 1,119,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I won't be voting any more myself nor do I care who wins. IMO, Elise was truly artistic. Philip is praised for being original and artistic, Elise is criticized for the same. Her studio version of Bold as Love is fantastic. Both Elise and Hollie have been the resident punching bags for the judges for weeks.

The show had to steer the storyline in a direction. The Elise elimination has been moving for weeks. It was pretty obvious by now.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Skylar is a firecracker! Love her! What a performer!!!

I don't understand how that BLAH Jessica can be in the same competition with people who have personalities!!! Dull, dull, dull...yuck, creepy...must be a big pre-teen(with no taste) contingent voting for this nothing.

Elise is a thousand times more of a singer!
They talk her up for her formal training. It is pretty obvious. You can tell she was a raised singer. Not someone who took it in passion but someone who had it instilled in them. Not a bad thing - it's just an explanation of her formal-ness. I'd bet she is a bit stuck-up too. Back in college we had jokes about the music school that was within it; lots of the students were like her.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
You really need to learn what the different musical genres are.
Not everything sung on AI is country.
Every-season AI cliches:

- at least one pop country artist (Skylar)
- at least one formal singer who is stiff as a board (Jessica)
- at least one soulful singer (Joshua)
- at least one rock singer who sort of doesn't give a **** (Elise)
- at least one somewhat awkward but likable character (Hollie)
- at least one with an acoustic or electric guitar who has wide-range appeal and who will make a repetitive, generic album that 15 year olds will buy after he leaves the show (Philip)

Old 04-27-2012, 11:59 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
I just started watching American Idol last year after avoiding it. Basic cable has left me no choice. Were the performances always as elaborate as they seem to be the last couple years? When there's 24 people on stage, layered vocal effects, and backup singers...doesn't that sort of ruin it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Every-season AI cliches:

- at least one pop country artist (Skylar)
- at least one formal singer who is stiff as a board (Jessica)
- at least one soulful singer (Joshua)
- at least one rock singer who sort of doesn't give a **** (Elise)
- at least one somewhat awkward but likable character (Hollie)
- at least one with an acoustic or electric guitar who has wide-range appeal and who will make a repetitive, generic album that 15 year olds will buy after he leaves the show (Philip)

I suspect you may have been exaggerating when you said you watched AI for the first time last year.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:30 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I don't understand how that BLAH Jessica can be in the same competition with people who have personalities!!!

Because she has the best voice on the show, no doubt about it. But she is shy, I give you that.
This comment bring up a major pet peeve of mine. Why does a singer have to do anything other than sing to be a great artist???? In the past they never had to at all. Personally I dislike performers who look like they have eaten 5 pounds of jumping beans before they go prancing around the stage. I really dislike all this, whatever it is, Dancing??????? that seems to be the only way some people can be entertained these days. If I want to see that kind of thing I can go to the ballet and believe me, they are way better at it than these faux performers waving their arms and butts around, jumping up and down and greatly reminding me of a bad high school troup from the drama dept. It's bring and it gets old really fast.

I can remember sitting in a cafe and listening to Neil Young sing for about two hours. He sat on a stool the whole freakin time and no one complained, he was BLAH.
Have you ever seen Eric Clapton running around, jumping all over and whatnot?
It must be the veido game mentality. If there is not extrame action and flashing lights then it can not hold the "Listeners" attention.

It makes me tired just watching most of the jumping beans and I don't find it entertaining in the least unless they are the best of the best of the best at it and there may be just a couple of them in the entire world.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:03 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,669 times
I didn't take the comment to mean they had to be dancing or moving. A singer can be animated and personable without dancing. Jessica isn't very personable; neither is Hollie. Neil Young has more personality and presence in his pinky than the total of most of the AI contestants this year. He and Clapton know how to connect with an audience; Jessica doesn't. It's not about dancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
This comment bring up a major pet peeve of mine. Why does a singer have to do anything other than sing to be a great artist???? In the past they never had to at all. Personally I dislike performers who look like they have eaten 5 pounds of jumping beans before they go prancing around the stage. I really dislike all this, whatever it is, Dancing??????? that seems to be the only way some people can be entertained these days. If I want to see that kind of thing I can go to the ballet and believe me, they are way better at it than these faux performers waving their arms and butts around, jumping up and down and greatly reminding me of a bad high school troup from the drama dept. It's bring and it gets old really fast.

I can remember sitting in a cafe and listening to Neil Young sing for about two hours. He sat on a stool the whole freakin time and no one complained, he was BLAH.
Have you ever seen Eric Clapton running around, jumping all over and whatnot?
It must be the veido game mentality. If there is not extrame action and flashing lights then it can not hold the "Listeners" attention.

It makes me tired just watching most of the jumping beans and I don't find it entertaining in the least unless they are the best of the best of the best at it and there may be just a couple of them in the entire world.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:15 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,055 times
It makes me tired just watching most of the jumping beans and I don't find it entertaining in the least unless they are the best of the best of the best at it and there may be just a couple of them in the entire world.[/quote]

I agree with you 100%. I feel the two in the finals should be Jessica and Josh, based soley on their singing abilities. But others feel there has to be the jumping around, I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV