Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 03:30 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I feel the two in the finals should be Jessica and Josh, based soley on their singing abilities.
Really, Josh in the finals? You gotta be joking. I can't stand that guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 04:13 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I suspect you may have been exaggerating when you said you watched AI for the first time last year.
It ain't hard to see the pattern (not to mention I've read/heard/seen snippets from past seasons and watched an episode or two in the very distant past). Well, for some who ritualistically watch it it is I suppose it is hard...

Knowing American Idol is purely a marketing juggernaut masked as a singing competition, one can rationally assume from a couple seasons that the general pattern is to adopt a diverse range of artists that cover the bases of the characteristics of popular music. That's why there are so many twang-pop artists and generic eclectic rockers every year.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
This comment bring up a major pet peeve of mine. Why does a singer have to do anything other than sing to be a great artist???? In the past they never had to at all.
Hmm...well, you can blame Elvis.

I asked a question earlier nobody answered about the amount of visual effects of recent seasons. Has this always been so prevalent? Nobody answered. Seems to take away from it often. For example, the echo/reverb on Elise's voice every time she sang "Whole Lotta Love". And the 3-deep backup singers and practical choirs.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post

I asked a question earlier nobody answered about the amount of visual effects of recent seasons. Has this always been so prevalent? Nobody answered. Seems to take away from it often. For example, the echo/reverb on Elise's voice every time she sang "Whole Lotta Love". And the 3-deep backup singers and practical choirs.
That is a peeve of mine when backup music drowns out the singing. Another peeve of mine when there is to much movement of the contestants, like bouncing from one side to a catwalk behind the judges. A contestant can show energy without going hog wild with the audience.

I will give credit to the camera persons finally keeping a camera on whoever is singing. It use to drive me nuts with all audience and judge pans.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:02 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,281 times
Quote:

I guess I missed first time around so I'll put in my two cents.

I don't recall visual effects, at least not the type employed now.
When a contestant is performing now there are so many wide shots at different angles of the stage I can't find whose singing and I hate it!

This season the contestants are the vehicle being used to show case the new stage.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:38 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post

I can remember sitting in a cafe and listening to Neil Young sing for about two hours. He sat on a stool the whole freakin time and no one complained, he was BLAH.
Have you ever seen Eric Clapton running around, jumping all over and whatnot?
Our college programming committee brought in a lot of singers for concerts. I remember when Linda Ronstadt came. She was new with her first hit with the Stone Ponies. She stood there terrified with her hands at her side and zero movement. This is her 4 years later and she's still not all that active. But that voice! Whoa.

LINDA RONSTADT Blue Bayou 1977 - YouTube

I also saw EmmyLou Harris around 1972 ... great memories
This is her 5 years later. Same thing - not a lot of movement. But the voice sends chills... Even if you don't like country, her voice is amazing and haunting

Emmylou Harris : Pancho & Lefty (1977) - YouTube

Quote:

Knowing American Idol is purely a marketing juggernaut masked as a singing competition, one can rationally assume from a couple seasons that the general pattern is to adopt a diverse range of artists that cover the bases of the characteristics of popular music.
Yep - we keep forgetting. We are part of that marketing juggernaut just by chatting about it. They are masters of "the buzz" and I'm sure most of what's happening on the show is orchestrated.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Passionate, talented, and driven and now becoming successful former Florida native Johnny Keyser shares a video day in life and gratitude as he prepares for his upcoming album.

He thanks Ken, Nigel, Randy, Jlo, and Steven. Two things the judges mention when audition for AI was he was going to be a star and keep singing. He says he doesnt know about being a star but he will keep singing.

Johnny Keyser | Thank You Message | EP Training Day in the Life | April 26, 2012 - YouTube!

Old 04-28-2012, 08:46 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Thanks, Sunny. I was never a fan of Johnny's but I recognize his talent. I'd sure like to know what it was about him that the judges didnt like.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:30 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Really, Josh in the finals? You gotta be joking. I can't stand that guy.
Actually, I predicted in this thread that it would be Josh and Jessica in the finals before they even had their twelve picked yet.

And I stand by that. Not saying they are that great but they are the best of this mediocre lot.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:15 AM

958 posts, read 2,133,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Actually, I predicted in this thread that it would be Josh and Jessica in the finals before they even had their twelve picked yet.

And I stand by that. Not saying they are that great but they are the best of this mediocre lot.
Voters got it right a couple of weeks ago when jessica recieved the least votes. Unfortunately the judges thought she was worthy of being saved.
If anything is mediocre it's the judges, or perhaps the show itself has fallen into self-indulgent mediocrity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV