Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 07:54 PM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Oh Tofurkey, you had me til the Scotty comment - I think he turns me off even more now than when he was a contestant. He just rubs me the wrong way - ick. But...glad someone enjoyed him
Ditto! Agree with everything you said, Toosie---but now into country music, especially old school type country (liked Skylar). DH and I both burst out laughing when we saw him again tonight---that deep voice with that young face that resembles Alfred E. Neuman!

I thought I would actually vote for Jessica tonight. No one could disagree that she is the technically superior singer. Her voice is beautiful. I don't care for her style of songs---if she sang bluesier, jazzier things, I would be loving it! After the first song, I thought I would be voting for her and trying to help someone with two X chromosomes win. But as the night went on, I found myself getting bored (was actually relieved that I had to go retrieve my cat's balls and do something other than watch the show. Philip was Philip. Every song seems somewhat deconstructed, but I do agree he is more of an artist.

The judges crack me up! Jennifer saying for the second round that she would say that Philip was the winner because we've heard the same thing from Jessica before! Hello? Weren't they both singing their favorite songs that they have sung before? And have we really not heard Philip perform in a very similar style for every song?

What I want to know is---if Philip is excused from the Ford commercial, will poor little Jessica have to carry the entire video by herself?

Regardless of who wins, they both will have careers---Philip as an indy artist type (unless he should go too commercial) and Jessica as a diva type or at least Broadway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 07:54 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I've always thought, and hoped, that P2 would win. There was a time, about four weeks ago, that I wondered if he had peaked too soon. But he got back on track.

I feel bad for Jessica. She had no control over her debut song and I'm sure she was heartbroken over the judges' comments. But at least they were honest.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:01 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I've always thought, and hoped, that P2 would win. There was a time, about four weeks ago, that I wondered if he had peaked too soon. But he got back on track.

I feel bad for Jessica. She had no control over her debut song and I'm sure she was heartbroken over the judges' comments. But at least they were honest.
I'm not going to lie, I was shocked by the comments. Not because I didn't think they were legit, but usually on the finals the judges put any critiques aside and praise everyone as if their the second coming of Jesus. I was surprised they were so honest with her, especially because they've praised her all season and because this was the finals. Jessica has to be feeling pretty bad about that.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
What did they sing? I was flying home from a trip tonight, and got in earlier than anticipated, so I could have watched it, even though I didn't think I was gonna get in. With Joshua gone, though, it just wasn't of that much interest to me to watch...I am curious as to what the song choices were, though.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:03 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
But as the night went on, I found myself getting bored (was actually relieved that I had to go retrieve my cat's balls and do something other than watch the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Even though I like him, I never expected him to make it this far - but am glad he prevailed, regardless of why they voted.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:12 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
If Phillip doesn't win, it is flat out shame. His final song of the night was amazing. Best performance this season, maybe the best one I have seen on this show in a very long time.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:13 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Im sorry Jessica did loose it what would be her debut song especially in her comments afterwards.
She said I just wanted to show range or something to that effect, that her song she would release would be different. The point of the last song is to show the kind of artist you are and not time to sample.

It is the problem she had all season she never stood out what kind of music she will produce as she not sure either. She is young and only had a young life of singing various artists but not making any of the songs she sung this season her own.
Dont get me wrong she had one of most beautiful voice this season but a little more maturing and the right producer she might find the kind of artist she will be.
I still think she her voice is beautiful for creating sound tracks for animation movies.

Scotty, Fantasia have unique voices I know when I hear them. I bought my partner signed copy of Scotty and that is all he plays. (It makes him happy but I can only do small doses not the entire CD.)

Phillip Phillips wow his last song is why I enjoy him. I just imagine myself listening to his CD at a summer cookout, unfortunately when he wins this Ill never see him in a small venue but he would be cool to see in Ampitheater if I could get front row seats.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,527,800 times
So, was tonight the finale or is it tomorrow?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
Two of Jessica's songs sounded thin. Her first song was very good, I thought. I was in the other room and not distracted watching her. P2's middle song didn't grab me, but his first and last one were really good. One notable thing with P2 - he got the audience involved. In the first and last songs he had people clapping along with him. That's important. I was wondering why they didn't each pick at least one foot stomper. That's what gets the votes. All 6 songs were kind of slow and sad.

I will like Scotty more as he grows up. He's still a pup. He has a distinctive voice, but as I'm a huge country fan, I don't think he measures up ... yet... to some of the greats in country. Please Remember Me is a wonderful song and he doesn't do it justice.

Tim McGraw - Please Remember Me (official music video) - YouTube

I don't think Scotty comes close to Tim's version. But I still like the little turkey. He's kind of weird, but he's young and he'll grow into his talent. There are other deep base singers in country that do hit it out of the park (if you like country)
Randy Travis and Josh Turner are big shoes to fill

Josh Turner & Randy Travis - King of the Road - YouTube
Josh Turner -- yummy

This is who Scotty wants to be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27-lM...eature=related

Last edited by R_Cowgirl; 05-22-2012 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: fix video

Old 05-22-2012, 09:57 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
I consider myself an avid fan of this show, but I didn't watch tonight. I realized that between Jessica and P2, I honestly do not care who wins.

This surprised me, because I didn't even realize it until tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV