Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 06:19 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I was cackling like a crazed hen during Jessica and the Dream Girl's duet. First, I thought she was drunk! Then those teeth kept coming out at me like a 3D horror flick. Yikes! But it was great. I loved it. I don't know why I was laughing so hard during that duet. The sight of Randy shaking his head was too funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Thinker View Post
I had to hit the mute switch when Holiday started screaming. I thought she was going to get out of control and swallow Jessica hole!

I think P2 is a class act, real nice kid. I don't think he had a very good night singing though. When he was put up next to Jessica, he was simply blown away, and not just based on strength of voice. P2 is almost in the same state as Khris Allen was when he was shocked that he won. Now, I don;t think P2 was actually shocked he won last night, the support he got from the judges and fans made is plainly obvious he would win. But I think in his heart, He is shocked he won over Jessica and Joshua. He has some real talent, in delivery, style, imagination. I don't believe he will have a strong singing career. But I do believe he will have a strong career within the music world. Be it arrangement, production, possibly song writing.
Thanks to both you and Red for the giggles Also, I totally agree with what you said here about Philip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 06:21 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
YES! Phillip beat The Vapid One! Love phil!

WHO was that gawdawful screeching woman in green who "sang" with Jessica at the end???
That was the most awful performance I've ever seen!
And, of course, all Jessica did, and can do, was mimic....

The Skylar and Reba duet was a class act! Excellent!

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 05-24-2012 at 06:46 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Kris Allen has 290,000 plus fans on Twitter. Not bad. Not Ashton Kutcher numbers, but still, I could live with those numbers!

I can't remember where I read it, but some article on the history of AI mentioned the large number of winners from the south. That may explain P2's win and all the other (as Twitter now refers to them) WGWG's -- white guys with guitars. A lot more southerners apparently vote. But when you have more votes for American Idol's final than the Presidential election that says a loooooot of folks were burning up the phone lines last night... 132 million to 129 million respectively.

Oh well, whatever the results tonight. As many have said, at least most of the top 12 have careers. So all in all, they'll be just fine.
WGWG [white guy with guitar] began on Vote for the Worst, which predicted before the season began that a wgwg would win for the 5th year in a row.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 AM

474 posts, read 905,406 times
All around good show. P2 deserved to win for his creativity and artistry. I wish him great success because he seems like such a fine young man.

Highs:

John Fogerty. The man has a terrific voice and sings like he did 35 years ago. His duet with P2 was terrific and great choice of songs.

Jennifer Holliday. Bizarre duet with Jessica but a great performance. I though Holliday was going to tear the cover of the microphone off with her teeth.

Reba. Another great singer born to perform.

D'Andre - showed again that he has no talent and it is a mystery why J Lo liked him so much.

Lows:

J Lo. Count me as one of the minority that does not think she is hot. She makes throwaway music. Is it even music? Her voice is processed electronically like so many singers today.

Rihanna. Another dumb performance. We are in a sad era where so many "stars" are stage performers only but not musical artists.

Neil Diamond. Please stay retired. I loved his songs when I was young but his weak voice doesn't help my memories.

Chaka Kan. She barely sang any words. And what is with fat women wearing skin tight suits?

Fantasia. A shout-fest with Joshu and another fat woman in a cat suit. Scary.

Hollie. Showed she belonged in the top 4.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:48 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
The over all sound was awful. It seemed most of the voice levels were off. I hope P2 is healthy enough to do all the appearances required of an AI winner. Jessica over sang. If she doesn't stop straining to hit the high notes, I predict she will need to have nodes removed from her vocal chords in less then 5 years.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:50 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,515 times
Jessica's solo performance of And I am Telling you... was extremely good. Last night's rendition was good for her, if you could catch her skilled composure while Holiday screamed and massacred the song while attempting to shatter eardrums. I'm amazed Jessica could do what she did on that song while standing next to this crazed woman.

The thing about Idol now, is that it's different than before. Judging and voting has been much better this year than in prior years, but the show is still trying to figure out how to become a real singing competition rather than a no holds barred popularity contest. At times, it's quite evident that the show's voters are still very much television-watching reality show/game show people than music aficionados.

I hope Jessica can get some original music written for her that's not a rush to pop and sell type of thing. There are many, many famous singers that would love to be able to "mimic" stars like Whitney/Mariah and so on. Very, very few can. At age 16, it's simply incredible the sense of delivery she has, the range, the sense of timing, etc. She has a bit of time to perfect on what is already remarkable.

It's a different world trying to judge talent across a wide spectrum, and remain unbiased as to the particular genre of music listened to. I'm not a country fan, but could still appreciate the remarkable talent of Skylar. In the real world, it's still about vocal talent, range, style and delivery. Many of today's top musicians and singers don;t have all of that, and they make do with what they have to work with. I listened intently to all of the singers as they were given spots in songs that fell well outside of their particular niche. Skylar impressed me in this area, proving to me she was simply a great entertainer, and a very powerful singer. She didn't need a country song to prove that.

Joshua and Jessica also have that pure ability, albeit with better, pure voices. Holly lost out because it became clear she had a Pia problem, albeit a smaller problem. In the end, the best singers lost out again. But this all evens out, as being in the top 10 on Idol still gives you great exposure and flexibility. As in past seasons, you can track the careers of all the Idol contestants and winners, and see how they mature. Their futures are determined, in part, by their own choices, good and bad, but mostly in their ability to get great songs written for them. Carrie Underwood was particularly lucky out of the gate with this, and she had the looks and great voice to be up for the challenge. Many do not, out of bad luck, or simply making choices that take them away from what their audience wanted to hear from them.

Frankly, I'd love to see the end result of a competition that the judges and coaches behind the scenes controlled. This was the format and model used for the Voice, but I absolutely hate the format, and I don;t think you could possibly have a worse lineup of judges. Maybe it's just their assigned real roles and not their ability, we may never know. But I do know this. If Idol's three judges, working under the leadership of Jimmie and staff, worked extremely hard to coach these Idol contestants to get them the best songs at the right time, the outcome would be much different. they spend far too much time on the show behind the scenes with Ford Videos, trucking the contestants around for appearances and the like. Not enough time on the good, hard work and thought that would make this a better show.

But alas, it's still about ratings and profits, and Fox has delivered that in spades for this show. It generally takes a good 3-5 years before a singer gets to the point where they have a chance to breakout, or break-through. As has been shown lately, more time needs to be devoted to producing a great first and second album, not rushing them out for the quick buck. Some of the sales figures for past Idol winners are deplorable. The judges earn far more in a year than many Idol winners will over their entire careers. Welcome to the world of television.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:01 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
WGWG [white guy with guitar] began on Vote for the Worst, which predicted before the season began that a wgwg would win for the 5th year in a row.
Everyone loves a guitar.
If you look at past sales-to date for the wgwg.

You can find them here, and it's updated fairly quickly
American Idol alumni album sales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some recent contestents have picked up steam. Some of them, wisely, chose not to rush out a release.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:15 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,635 times
I have to admit that last night was the first time I've watched AI in 2 yrs. so I didn't know any of the singers. But I have always been a big CCR and Forgerty fan, but last night someone was off key and it wasn't John! I was hoping Carrie Underwood would sing, it would have been alot better than some of that trash they had. So I sat there for an hour and 45 min. hoping to see something entertaining.
Thankfully it happened....Aerosmith! yes I know there just old over the hill rockers, but for me it was the best of the night!

Old 05-24-2012, 08:18 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,315 times
I laughed so hard at the duet with Holliday and Jessica if you DVRed it go back and look at all the faces Holliday makes and those teeth!!! So so funny a good release from a stressful day for me!
I actually thought Neil Diamond looked great and considering his age sounded pretty good.
What's with so much confetti, way over done, I saw Philip had some in his mouth at one point. I bet he is relieved this whole experience is finally done. Very pleased that he was the winner just hope he can get healthy.

Fantasia oh my gosh she looked and sounded terrible!! Wonder if she is still Joshua's idol?

Did not love Jennifer's performance or her baggy pants.
Overall a very entertaining and comical show.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,055 times
I have to say I did enjoy the finale, there was lots going on and it gave me the feeling that it was a televised party. I wished I was there.

As most of us predicted PP was the winner. But was he really? From the reaction that Jessica gave she seemed to be happier that PP won instead of herself. I know that PP is mandated to sign with a label that is partnered with American Idol. But is the runner-up also mandated to sign with them too? If not, that would make her a free agent to sign with anyone and that would be better!! Does anyone know of any contractual obligations for the runner-up?

I can see Jessica with the right people be a cross between Whitney, Mariah and Celine all rolled into one, well maybe that might be an exaggeration but you know what I mean, she has a fantastic future ahead of her. She will need to break out of her shy personality and that will happen with more maturity.

As for PP, I think he will be more of a folk singer, playing at smaller venues, making a good living as a singer, I don’t see him winning a Grammy any time soon, but you never know.

I see Hollie also having a successful career, and Joshua having the best career of them all. I am not a big PP fan, but I have to admit, he gave me the most touching moment when he broke down and went down to hug his parents during that last song. He’s a good young man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV