Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 08:41 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times

Advertisements

FWIW, I'm totally cool with people using the spoiler function to post spoilers - that's the whole point of why they updated the code so we could have it both ways - it's obvious so people can choose not to look if knowing the info will ruin the experience for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
2) Colton butchered Paramore's song. Easily the worst performance last night.
3) Eben was eaten alive by the Adele's song. His voice nowhere near the strength of hers. It showed. Not sure why he would pick a song that would do that.
4) Everytime I see DeAndre, I think Milli Vanilli.
5) Phillip Phillips was my fav going in but he picked a bad song for his voice. I worry for him making the cut.
Agreed about Colton and Eben but I think Colton will make the cut and Eben will go home.
LOL about Deandre - same here!
You aren't kidding - that was a bad move for Phillip - I think he'll be heading home this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
After watching that idiot host on X Factor, I finally appreciate Ryan Seacrest. It's also refreshing to watch 3 judges get along and be kind.
Ya know, Ryan really has grown on me over the years. He works a ton and almost always does a good job. I like the little guy - although, IMO, he flubbed that whole dictator situation at the Oscars.

I like seeing these three judges together and think they're good about moving on when there are those tense moments between them. For example, I thought Steven went a nipple hair too far with his antics last night. JLo seemed sincerely irked at first but they regained composure quickly and were able to joke together and focus on the singers again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 09:05 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
Nah I don't think Jennifer was irked, she probably likes that her dress slightly exposed outline of her nip...she's the one that dared Steven to take a dive into the pool. Google Steven Tyler/Jimmy Kimmel for one of his best recent interviews where he discusses J-Lo's nip malfunction.

I thought last nights performances were pretty lackluster on a whole, especially compared to some of the group performances. I will rate for top 6
Phill Phillips: My current fave. Love how he takes a song and makes it his own. The boy is talented!
Colton
Ledet
Grimm reaper
Aaron
Hejun

They should have kept Keyser and also David Lethers, although I'm sure Leathers will be back next year.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
For example, I thought Steven went a nipple hair too far with his antics last night. JLo seemed sincerely irked at first but they regained composure quickly and were able to joke together and focus on the singers again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Nah I don't think Jennifer was irked, she probably likes that her dress slightly exposed outline of her nip...
I agree with golddust. Google image "Jennifer Lopez Nipple" and you'll quickly see that Jennifer is very proud of her breasts and nipples.

There are many pictures of her in sheer dresses and shirts that show EVERYTHING.

Like these:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...E-a7vuItlWCR-g

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...lRddS32k5sfaPQ

http://diaryofahollywoodstreetking.c...er-lopez_1.jpg

She's an exhibitionist. LOL

Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Oh I agree JLo is an exhibitionist - but that doesn't mean she doesn't also like to control the delivery. She didn't seem ready to bring a lawsuit - just mildly irked that he caught her off guard and was so extreme/crass about it. She cracked up at Ryan's much more subtle reference to it earlier in the night. In fact, in that case, it seemed she was the only one who got it and reacted in a way to bring more attention to it. All about controlling the message.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
Quote:
I agree with golddust. Google image "Jennifer Lopez Nipple" and you'll quickly see that Jennifer is very proud of her breasts and nipples.

There are many pictures of her in sheer dresses and shirts that show EVERYTHING.

Like these:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...E-a7vuItlWCR-g

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...lRddS32k5sfaPQ

http://diaryofahollywoodstreetking.c...er-lopez_1.jpg

She's an exhibitionist. LOL
LOl HOpes and she is a very classic beauty - I will give her that!
Steven on Kimmel called it "areolas are us" but he was very gentlemanly about it.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:10 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post

I thought last nights performances were pretty lackluster on a whole, especially compared to some of the group performances.
Agreed, and I felt the same way last year. Great auditions week, then it was like some of them just gave up. Granted, last night was just the beginning, but there was a LOT of weak and out of tune singing, and some really cheeseball performances, followed by the "judges" telling them how great they were.

I was looking forward to watching this season, but I don't know if I will make it.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:14 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
I absolutely LOVED last night's show and thought Eben was really the only one who was mediocre and wasn't strong enough for the Adele song. Also didn't like the changes Phillip Phillips made to the song he chose.

My top five picks after last night are:

Reid Grimm
Creighton Fraker
Joshua Ledeg
Aaron Marcellus
Heejun Han

I do like to cowboy who looks kinda of like Brendan Frazer, but like the five I mentioned more.

Can't wait to watch the girls tonight. I think it's going to be a great season with a really difficult competition due to so much talent in the mix. Like Randy, I am loving the different styles too!

Old 02-29-2012, 04:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
He is from my area. It has a very low cost of living.

His wife probably works. It's easy to live on one income in this region.

It's entirely possible that his house is paid off too.

The other thing that's common in this area is to have large extended families nearby. That equals free daycare for many families.

The economy is strong here, the employment rate lower than elsewhere.

Most employers would accomodate someone having a one time chance at something like this.

They'd get bad PR on American Idol if the contestant said "I lost my job for coming here." LOL

Heck, even the military lets people take a leave of absence to be on AI.
I doubt the house is paid off as he is 27 yrs old. That house is also pretty big, so it had to be at least 200K.

I looked on a real estate website in his area(Washington,PA) and the least expensive house was 140K, and it was a much smaller one story house that was older than what Adam has.

It is a legit question. I don't think all employers would say go ahead and take off 2 to 3 months to go on show like this.

They may say OK to a few weeks, but not a few months.

This doesn't impact most of the contestants as they're teens or live at home, but I wonder how a married person with a mortgage, children, bills, etc, does it.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I doubt the house is paid off as he is 27 yrs old. That house is also pretty big, so it had to be at least 200K.
I know many people whose houses were paid off before 30 in this region.

Quote:
I looked on a real estate website in his area(Washington,PA) and the least expensive house was 140K, and it was a much smaller one story house that was older than what Adam has.
Sometimes you have to trust people who have first hand knowledge. This is a low cost of living area. There are houses that sell for 50k and less in this region. And he lives in the more rural areas that aren't suburbs for the city so housing is even less expensive.

There's Washington County, PA and Washington, PA. He is from Washington, PA. Trust me, Washington PA is super affordable. There are some very expensive houses in the northern part of Washington County because those are upscale outer suburbs for the city in the next county.

Regardless, he is from Washington, PA, but he now lives in Houston, PA. He moved there since he auditioned. It's possible his housing is provided by his employer. He is creative arts director at Assembly of God. It's located in Houston, PA. The church might have provided his family with a house while he is on the Idol journey. That could be why he moved from Washington, PA, to Houston, PA, sometime after the auditions.

If you do a little search on him, you'll see he has had multiple addresses in the area. That tells me that he has probably been renting. (You're making the assumption he has a mortgage.) It's possible he doesn't even live in the house they showed on AI. He could have used a house of a friend or relative for asthetic purposes.

Quote:
It is a legit question. I don't think all employers would say go ahead and take off 2 to 3 months to go on show like this.

They may say OK to a few weeks, but not a few months.
I don't think many people who have this dream really care if they lose their jobs when they decide to go for it.

Quote:
This doesn't impact most of the contestants as they're teens or live at home, but I wonder how a married person with a mortgage, children, bills, etc, does it.
Being married is what makes it easier. That means there is another adult to work and support the family during the process. Obviously they manage to do it if they are on the show.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Actually it can be tough on people. A few years ago there were articles on families of contestants who were struggling so their son/daughter could be on the show.

American Idol only covers the expenses of a parent if the contestant is under 18, so if a parent of a contestant that is 19 or 20 decides to stick around LA for the duration it is on their dime.

So whether they decide to fly back and forth or remain in CA that's their expense.

And most people these days require two incomes.

He gave the impression that was his house, if they're renting they're foolish as they could save money and get a smaller place.

And he's not too good. He does more shouting than actual singing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV