Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 02:10 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Well, I agree with the judges' assessment of Hollie. JLo led with the kiss of death again: "you look great". I really think the lack of emotion/connection is hurting her. She sure does handle criticism like a champ - very poised - it's me favorite (only) thing about her.

Loved Steven comparing P2 to Steve McQueen and Johnny Cash. I liked the performance better than JLo and Randy did. Also thought he was a lot more gracious about the comparison with Colton than Colton was.
Yup, Phil looks like McQueen with all the sex appeal....but I doubt the contestants know who McQueen was...P2 had a blank look...they're too young.

This old lady remembers McQueen REAL well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 03:09 PM

958 posts, read 2,132,455 times
Itunes now has six songs each for the performers.
I guess they read CD.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:01 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
Re: Hollie - i LOVE what Richard Lawson of the Atlantic Wire column wrote about her.... I wish I had written this paragraph, it's so true and so deliciously composed:

Quote:
Oh Hollie. Oh dear. The poor little translucent bit of seashell knows she's in danger of elimination, like really imminent and immediate danger, so she tried to pack a big thing into her version of "Perfect" by Pink, but... it just didn't get there. The bus broke down somewhere on the side of the road, the glittering city in view in the distance, but still miles away. I feel bad for Hollie, adorable and sprightly as she is, and having such a cute little friendship with turtle boy Joshua as she apparently does, but the strain is showing too much, she's falling apart. I wish she'd waited and done this show at like 22 or something, though I suppose there's no indication that this show will be around in five years, so it could be for the best that she did it now.
"Poor little translucent bit of seashell..." LOL - I love this description! Like his characterization of Steven as "witch Tyler" -- it's perfect!

He's right about Hollie. If she had waited till she was just a tad more mature, she would BE the American Idol. But she will still find a producer from being on this show; she's still on her way; she is still getting the lesson of her life in the realities of show business; and she has garnered a following that will hopefully carry her while she develops her own style and voice.

Last edited by R_Cowgirl; 04-15-2012 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: fixed link

Old 04-15-2012, 07:34 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Re: Hollie - i LOVE what Richard Lawson of the Atlantic Wire column wrote about her.... I wish I had written this paragraph, it's so true and so deliciously composed:

"Poor little translucent bit of seashell..." LOL - I love this description! Like his characterization of Steven as "witch Tyler" -- it's perfect!

He's right about Hollie. If she had waited till she was just a tad more mature, she would BE the American Idol. But she will still find a producer from being on this show; she's still on her way; she is still getting the lesson of her life in the realities of show business; and she has garnered a following that will hopefully carry her while she develops her own style and voice.
First of all, this is my girl we're talking about, so let's show some respect! Haha. (Just having fun with ya, I respect your opinion)

There's no way she could have waited any longer. She did it last year, and when you have celebrity judges tell you that hey, get training for a year and come back because you could win it..., what is she supposed to do? Not come back? Maturity benefits everyone, but I don't think she could have waited any longer. In fact, I'm pretty sure the judges were expecting her at the auditions. Her peak on American Idol was this year or never, especially with the show being up in the air on being around for a few more years like you stated.

She's kind of hit a roadblock in the competition it seems. I think she's getting used to taking harsh criticism and the feelings of being in the bottom 3. But I still don't think she goes home right away. She has a huge following (I'm in that group lol), not to mention I think she'll beat out Elise at the very least. Regardless, I'm hoping she can win the whole thing, as biased as I may be. I guess we'll have to see as you never know how these things can shape out. If she gets her act together and nails her songs in the next coming weeks, she could end up in the finals.

I think she'd gained herself some type of record deal regardless of win or lose. She has a hell of a voice, she's proven that, and with studio time and professionals helping her out, she can probably produce an album, albeit all ballads.

And randomly, I must mention, why is P2 exempt from criticism by most? Dude is a Dave Matthews ripoff who takes no chances and does the same thing every week yet I rarely hear anyone criticize him. At least Hollie has gone outside of her comfort zone, same with everyone else who gets harsh words.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:37 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post

What a find..thanx...tht is right up my alley for a good satirical laugh and take on Idol. Great writing, I will have to now follow him!

He and I agree there is no way Jessica had the least votes, but they haven't been revealing vote totals anyway and I hear it is all how Ryan words things that keeps whatever they do legal.

He hits Colton kinda hard and I have heard people have tweeted him and asked if he is or isn't and he answered back he isn't.

That is kinda funny how you said that about P2 Sunny.

How predictable is a Colton/Skyler top 2 though?!? It's a pretty close replica of last season, although I like the players more.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:58 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times
If it's Colton and Skylar in the end then it's a personality contest, not a singing comp. I think Colton should be in the final 2 or 3, but not Skylar, even though she is the most likeable contestant.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
^Many say it is just a personality contest.

After reading a few more of Lawson's installments he seems to get stuck on the same tangents and misses some things more worthy of making fun of imo. His bit about Durbin was amusing and I was wondering myself if River's ghost would appear for the show.

I don't like how he gets stuck on Jessica's personality so much, as that is getting really old. They said the same thing about Carrie Underwood.

I should comment and tell him he should show some respect and at least refer to Tyler as a warlock besides I don't find the witch thing that funny as Tyler mentions god quite a bit even in his music.

He barely mentions Randy, who I think could be parodied to death.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:47 PM

102 posts, read 296,837 times
This girl on my facebook I went to high school posted something like she doesnt watch american idol but she turned it on when colton was perforoming that lifehouse song and how he was amazing and this girl is really religious and talks about god in her status alot. there were a few likes and one comment and said that is is a facade that they met colton at a church event last summer and he was really rude to them. I dont know who "them" is I guess the people she went to the event with.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:03 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I think we may have had a glimpse of the "real" Colton when he was so snarky about being compared to P2 "of all people".

Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
Here's a review of Wednesday's performance (Songs from the 2010's) I found:

American Idol Top 7 Songs from This Decade Review 04/11/2012 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV