U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-17-2012, 09:56 AM

41,719 posts, read 46,254,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitylove View Post
I think that with how accessible EVERYTHING is with the convenience of the internet, these kids would have no problem figuring out how to make connections.
Some of them drive half way across the country just to go to an audition...it would be just as easy to drive to L.A. or New York where the majority of the connections would be.
There's a difference between driving across the country to an audition that lasts a few days and driving across the country to live in NYC or LA endlessly. It's not like you arrive and find connections within a couple of days. It's a huge expense. I noticed on X Factor an underaged girl's parents moved from Australia to LA for her to pursue a singing career a few years prior to her auditioning for X Factor. If a child has talent, it takes a huge committment from the family to help them get there. Most families can't or won't do it.

Quote:
I think they KNOW there are tons of other avenues. They just see this as the "easiest" and "quickest" way to get to where they want to go.
I don't think they see it that way. I think they see it as just one more way to add to the many ways. Some of these people have been performing for a long time. What I like about AI and other singing competitions is it brings out the singers who never considered a singing career. There are a lot of awesome singers out there whose family encouraged them to major in accounting instead of being a starving artist.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 10:02 AM

10,398 posts, read 8,250,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There's a difference between driving across the country to an audition that lasts a few days and driving across the country to live in NYC or LA endlessly. It's not like you arrive and find connections within a couple of days.

ABSOLUTELY! Remember that, before she auditioned for AI, KELLY CLARKSON moved to Los Angeles to get someone, anyone, to listen to her and give her a chance at a recording contract. She finally gave up and went back home. If AI hadnt had auditions in Dallas (her hometown) that first year, we'd never have heard of her.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:13 AM

9,609 posts, read 4,077,626 times
Can you believe that I didn't watch the showlast night?
I was so tired that I forgot it was on

Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 AM

10,398 posts, read 8,250,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Can you believe that I didn't watch the showlast night?
I was so tired that I forgot it was on

Uh-oh. DO you have Comcast/XFinity or another cable service that has ON DEMAND, so you can watch it over the weekend?

Old 02-17-2012, 11:37 AM

251 posts, read 286,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There's a difference between driving across the country to an audition that lasts a few days and driving across the country to live in NYC or LA endlessly. It's not like you arrive and find connections within a couple of days. It's a huge expense. I noticed on X Factor an underaged girl's parents moved from Australia to LA for her to pursue a singing career a few years prior to her auditioning for X Factor. If a child has talent, it takes a huge committment from the family to help them get there. Most families can't or won't do it.

Here's the thing-American Idol isn't just an audition that lasts a couple days. It lasts a couple months, at LEAST.

I don't think they see it that way. I think they see it as just one more way to add to the many ways. Some of these people have been performing for a long time. What I like about AI and other singing competitions is it brings out the singers who never considered a singing career. There are a lot of awesome singers out there whose family encouraged them to major in accounting instead of being a starving artist.
Some do see it that way-the ones that storm off and have fits. It's one thing to be disappointed and sad that this audition didn't work out. It's another thing to think that since this audition didn't work out, they may as well quit persuing their dreams.
As you said, some don't see it that way. They will use this experience to their benefit, be grateful, and end up on other talent shows or continue down other avenues.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:59 AM

9,609 posts, read 4,077,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Uh-oh. DO you have Comcast/XFinity or another cable service that has ON DEMAND, so you can watch it over the weekend?
No, but I've just found out that the AI website has all videos. So I can watch songs and no drama. Works for me!
I've already seen a few and the level is very good.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:46 PM

33,790 posts, read 6,341,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
No, but I've just found out that the AI website has all videos. So I can watch songs and no drama. Works for me!
I've already seen a few and the level is very good.
Last night's show was a real treat. Some spectacular performances!

I'm with you, Sudcaro - would just as soon skip the drama. I wish they had shown a lot less of the contestants' personal lives during the first-round auditions. I would've liked to see a lot more auditions instead of all the personal background stories.

As far as who makes it through and who doesn't, I suspect the judges are under a lot of pressure from the producers to choose or dismiss certain people so they can end up with the right mix (in producers' opinion) for the latter part of the season.

No doubt, there is some fabulous talent on the show this season.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:20 PM

41,719 posts, read 46,254,468 times
Quote:
Here's the thing-American Idol isn't just an audition that lasts a couple days. It lasts a couple months, at LEAST.
The first audition only lasts a few days. That's the audition that costs the contestant money. After they win the first audition, AI pays for all of their travel and living expenses. AI is the most affordable opportunity to pursue this type of dream.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:12 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,097,611 times
Yep. Consider Whitney Houston. Dionne Warwick is her second cousin. Aretha Franklin is her Godmother.
If she didn't have those connections, it's unlikely she would have been discovered.
She probably would have lived a healthier, happier life as a NYC secretary though.

That's for sure. And, on these alternate possibilities, life winds its way around us.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:40 AM

198 posts, read 166,916 times
some really good groups in vegas. i was surprised how well some did with such a short time to get a routine together.

i am another who would have liked to see johnny keyser and his group who seemed so confident in the hot tub. how bad were they compared to others?

cowboy has turned me off with his attitude and i don't think he is that great. guy singing with him sounds like he belongs on broadway. would like to hear him sing 'old man river'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV