U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-29-2012, 10:05 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,438,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Brielle Van Hugel (love that husky voice)
I couldn't stand that performance. I thought it sounded flat.

Everytime she sang "wasting time" I thought "Good Lord, you're wasting MY time!"

I don't like how a Jersey accent comes through when she's singing either.

Quote:
Bailey Brown - sad - she was off all the way around - and her boobs were smooshed. They all dragged out the "you're pretty" line of death.
I really do believe that she couldn't breath.

Quote:
Holly Cavanaugh - What is that weird almost Brit accent of hers? I thought she sounded like a nasaly Disney song.
She's from Liverpool. Not sure how many years she has lived in the states and Texas.

I can't comment on the rest of them without a list of song choices because I don't know the contestants by name yet.

I do agree with everyone who said the guys did much better than the girls.

For the most part, I thought the girls were week. And even the best ones weren't perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:07 PM

3,321 posts, read 2,960,737 times
Top 6-7 girls:
Jessica - Pint sized powerhouse that I noticed in groups
Elise
Hollie Cavanaugh - I thought she did justise to Xtinas song but she can also rock out. Maybe she is a brit mixed with a Tx accent after living there.
Hollie Day/Brielle tie
Jen
Erika

Yep have found out over on IA board Hollie Cavanaugh originally from Liverpool and transplanted to TX.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 02-29-2012 at 10:41 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 PM

3,494 posts, read 9,721,848 times
Bet one of the males will win this year. Phillip Phillips is my number one pick. He is incredibly talented and very sexy and gorgeous to top it all off. He is the next Dave Matthews

Old 02-29-2012, 11:52 PM

10,561 posts, read 8,941,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
Bet one of the males will win this year. Phillip Phillips is my number one pick. He is incredibly talented and very sexy and gorgeous to top it all off. He is the next Dave Matthews

I agree that one of the guys will win. Phillip Phillips was my original pick. I still like him but there are a couple of guys who could peak close to the end of the season.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:41 AM

7,140 posts, read 4,420,094 times
If that wasn't the best Elise Testone can do ... wow, because that was amazing. I predict she'll make it all the way to the end - at least top 3.

Uhm, why only 4 girls who aren't blonde, and only 2 who aren't white, and not a single African American in the lot of them? They're all so ... indistinguishable. At least the guys have some diversity, including in their singing styles.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:35 AM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,345 posts, read 5,288,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
(If I hear Steven say "beautiful" one more time I'm going to invent a drinking game....) Was Shannon's song a Christian song?
LOL I'm with ya on the drinking game - or my drug of choice (chocolate). Shannon's song totally sounded religious to me. I'm hoping she moves away from that - love me some gospel but not that pallid churchy stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
What's the name of the one that looks like a young Kim Bassinger?

I have a feeling there were some mic issues.
That was Hallie Day! I thought the same thing and made a note of it LOL. Agreed about the mic issues - a few of them even seemed like they were lipsynching at first - the sound was just 'off' in a variety of ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't like how a Jersey accent comes through when she's singing either.

I really do believe that she couldn't breath.

She's from Liverpool. Not sure how many years she has lived in the states and Texas.
Yes that accent! Her mom's drives me crazy. She sure was speaking the truth when she said she's a typical Staten Island girl Brielle's performance last night wasn't my favorite but I'm hoping she stays because I do love a husky voice and all she can do with it.

Not only was the dress too tight but she was having heart palpitations.

Thanks, that's pretty much exactly how she sounds - makes sense. I thought maybe she was pullin a Madonna and just putting it on. Accent/talent or not, that kid just rubs me the wrong way so I'm hoping she gets the big ol boot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
If that wasn't the best Elise Testone can do ... wow, because that was amazing. I predict she'll make it all the way to the end - at least top 3.
Agreed! She really caught me by surprise - she wasn't on my radar at all before last night (as far as I remember) but wowza the girl has pipes.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:41 AM

2,524 posts, read 1,686,557 times
Add another to the girls weren't as good as the guys...

To me, only Jessica and Shannon came to play. The rest of them fell various degrees of short.

I couldn't believe that two of them would pick the same song. What a disaster for both of them.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:49 AM

251 posts, read 303,808 times
The judges seem waaaay too lenient this year. I know Randy even mentioned that last night at one point, that watching the playback, they could have been offered more constructive criticism.

I *almost* wish Simon was still there. I don't like how he could attack someone personally, but he would tell them if their performance didn't impress him at all or if their performance was "affected."
So many of the performances were lacking and many were "affected"-especially Brielle's. Oy vey.
There's a difference between being a performer and having an affected performance.

Anyway, I hope the judges get a little tougher in their responses soon, because it seems like they're encouraging mediocrity.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:37 AM

4,379 posts, read 8,630,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Another season, more questioning why judges are even involved at this point. In all, only 2 of the 13 contestants actually received feedback from them.

To the performances...
1) Aaron was my favorite last night. The performance was really good. Vocals on point.
2) Colton butchered Paramore's song. Easily the worst performance last night.
3) Eben was eaten alive by the Adele's song. His voice nowhere near the strength of hers. It showed. Not sure why he would pick a song that would do that.
4) Everytime I see DeAndre, I think Milli Vanilli.
5) Phillip Phillips was my fav going in but he picked a bad song for his voice. I worry for him making the cut.
6) Adam, Josh, Jeremy, Jermaine, and Reed all sounded great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Me too!!!!!!!!!!!
Me three.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:37 AM

6,530 posts, read 9,214,345 times
For the girls I liked:

Jessica Sanchez
Elise Testone
Holly Cavanaugh
Skylar Laine

The best.

Do NOT understand the criticism of Holly C by the judges.... She picks a 10 song difficulty, sings it about a 7 or 8 and gets a "meh, you can do better." from the judges? She's one of my favorites now. Yeah the accent is strange, but the girl can sing...

I was about to go ballistic when J Lo and Tyler praised the "Sweet Dreams" girl... Thank goodness Randy brought THAT one back down to Earth as that was just horrible...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV