Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 05:33 PM

251 posts, read 570,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
LOL TFW! A support group sounds about right for us

Trinity, no I'm on the edge of the outer stormy part of the tornado path in Pittsburgh, PA. The lightning and thunder stopped now and it's just raining. But the thunder sounded so odd - hard to describe but unlike the kinds of thunder I'm used to. I guess we're supposed to get storms through the night so I might end up shutting this thing down if it comes through again.
I miss thunderstorms so much. I grew up in the midwest and grew up with the hardcore storms.
It rains a lot in Seattle, but rarely, if ever thunders. When it does, it makes the news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 05:40 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,335,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitylove View Post
I miss thunderstorms so much. I grew up in the midwest and grew up with the hardcore storms.
It rains a lot in Seattle, but rarely, if ever thunders. When it does, it makes the news!

How lucky you are, Trinitylove! I lived in beautiful West Seattle in the mid 1970's and never, ever heard thunder. I've lived in Denver, outside Boston and other places but Seattle was my favorite. If I could afford it, I'd move back there in an instant.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:00 PM

251 posts, read 570,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
How lucky you are, Trinitylove! I lived in beautiful West Seattle in the mid 1970's and never, ever heard thunder. I've lived in Denver, outside Boston and other places but Seattle was my favorite. If I could afford it, I'd move back there in an instant.

Back in the mid-70s huh? right about when i was born! i'm sure (i've heard) it's a very different city now-more commercial and cosmopolitan, maybe?

I've lived here for about a year and a half and just in the past 2 months did I start to get used to it.
I've lived all over, too-New Jersey, Philly,Wisconsin,Colorado, and now here.
This has been the haardest transition for me. Although, I do NOT miss sub freezing/subzero midwest winters at ALL. i don't think i could ever go back to that.
I could definitely go back to the major thunderstorms though. LOVE 'em.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitylove View Post
Back in the mid-70s huh? right about when i was born! i'm sure (i've heard) it's a very different city now-more commercial and cosmopolitan, maybe?

I dont want to hijack this thread but I'll say YES, it was a different city back then. I was there when the first Starbucks opened and right about the time that Pike Place was going to be torn down -- when the citizens arose in righteous indignation and forced a magnificent comeback of that market.

It was a much more innocent, less commercial time. I went back there three years ago and, although a lot of West Seattle is the same, the rest of the city had changed tremendously. I was amazed to see that my then-100-year-old house, which I sold for $40,000 in the late 1970's, is now valued at $475,000 -- with no improvements at all.

I also loved how it rained/misted almost every day from April through September. I know that's depressing to some but my girls and I enjoyed walking/playing in the light daily rain.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,764,882 times
I'm sort of disappointed about some of the people who got through and some that didn't get through.

Quote:
Stay safe, toosie! what you described sounds like tornado activity to me. My company has an office in Pittsburgh and I hear the weather can turn bad very quickly.
It's unlikely there will be a tornado. There are no warnings or advisories are listed for tonight. There is supposed to be a few hours of thunderstorms with high winds. The thunder always sounds eerie in the winter. I heard it a while ago but haven't heard anything since. I think it is past us now.

Tornados aren't really common here. We get things called microbursts---straight winds. A microburst doesn't turn or move. It just shoots down and then the wind splatters straight across the earth's surface. It does some damage but not as bad as a tornado. Mostly uproots shallow rooted trees but they dont' go flying. The noteable difference is that tornados have some warning. Microbursts have absolutely zero warning. Fortunately they don't happen very often, maybe once or twice in a decade.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 PM

5,327 posts, read 8,507,106 times
Vote For The Worst is currently voting on which singer to choose as the one they will all vote for.

Heejun is currently leading the pack

I always wonder how much this group influences the votes on these shows .... they have a huge following.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:36 PM

18,936 posts, read 11,545,230 times
Quote:
Stay safe, toosie! what you described sounds like tornado activity to me. My company has an office in Pittsburgh and I hear the weather can turn bad very quickly.
Aw thanks TFW! I was fine - just as I thought, there was that one weird lightening/thunder strike and then it's been all quiet ever since. You're exactly right, though, that the thunder did sound like that loud truck sound that tornadoes can sound like. It was so startling at first but when I thought how to describe it, that's the first thing that came to mind - and then I remembered years ago when we did have a little tornado and some damage around here. Tornadoes are super rare here, though, and we weren't expecting anything like that this time - just regular ol storm (which we didn't even get here in the city). Anyway, now I'm off to bed - see you and the rest of the support group manana!

Old 03-02-2012, 08:39 PM

18,936 posts, read 11,545,230 times
Oh! I missed all the ensuing weather talk - and Hopes (who is from outside Pittsburgh I think) even provided a dissertation on local weather patterns! Trinity, I'm with you - sometimes a good old fashioned summer thunderstorm is just the ticket

Oh boy Kitten - thanks for digging up the dirt on VFTW - looks like Hee Jun will have some extra backing!

ok - now I'm going to bed

Old 03-02-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Vote For The Worst is currently voting on which singer to choose as the one they will all vote for.

Heejun is currently leading the pack

I always wonder how much this group influences the votes on these shows .... they have a huge following.

Some years they've been fairly influential -- but it's usually as the show gets closer to the end. I dont think they carry that much weight so early in the season. However, it will be interesting to see what happens next week.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:11 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,386,625 times
Back to the show please.....thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV