Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 08:42 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,766,302 times

Advertisements

Happy to oblige, Beretta. I didn't comment on the final 13 earlier because I wanted to watch the show again this morning as I had somehow missed those "singing for ther life."

I am SO glad that Brielle was sent packing. Could not stand her or her stage mother. I was sad to see Jen Hirsch go, as I think she's very talented. But Erika was one of my top picks, so I'm happy for her.

I don't think Jeremy Rosado will last long, but I think the teenybopper vote will keep Deandre around for quite a while unless he really screws up.

I loved Reid Grimm in the beginning, but his performance of the Bill Withers song was over the top. I think his personality and scatting would get old real fast, so it's probably a good thing.

I think Jimmy Iovine's comments were pretty straightforward. He knows his stuff. I think he should be sitting out there with the judges so he could hear the performances the same way they do. I'm guessing, though, that he would still feel the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 08:52 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,349,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
Happy to oblige, Beretta. I didn't comment on the final 13 earlier because I wanted to watch the show again this morning as I had somehow missed those "singing for ther life."

I am SO glad that Brielle was sent packing. Could not stand her or her stage mother. I was sad to see Jen Hirsch go, as I think she's very talented. But Erika was one of my top picks, so I'm happy for her.

I don't think Jeremy Rosado will last long, but I think the teenybopper vote will keep Deandre around for quite a while unless he really screws up.

I loved Reid Grimm in the beginning, but his performance of the Bill Withers song was over the top. I think his personality and scatting would get old real fast, so it's probably a good thing.

I think Jimmy Iovine's comments were pretty straightforward. He knows his stuff. I think he should be sitting out there with the judges so he could hear the performances the same way they do. I'm guessing, though, that he would still feel the same way.
I could have written this post! I agree with you 100%.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:59 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,397,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post

Totally agree. But I do like that Jimmy is watching from a monitor, because he sees them the same way the television audience sees them. Sometimes, by the judges comments, I have to wonder if they watching the same performance I am!

Old 03-03-2012, 09:21 AM

251 posts, read 570,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoNan View Post
Totally agree. But I do like that Jimmy is watching from a monitor, because he sees them the same way the television audience sees them. Sometimes, by the judges comments, I have to wonder if they watching the same performance I am!
Moderator cut: off topic

anyway, i like Jimmy's input, too. It seems like the judges can be caught up in the moment and have their input motivated and influenced a lot by emotions and personal feelings toward the contestant.
many times when they watch the performances in playback, without as much emotion brewing, they can discern the quality of the performance much better.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:32 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,433,630 times
I also just caught the results this morning.

All I have to say is who the hell voted for Colton. That was by miles one of the worst AI performances for a very long time.

Milli Vanilli for a wildcard... Really... Really?

As to the votefortheworst crew, they didn't get Eden or Haley in at the beginning of the season so their people can't be that large.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:16 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,633,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I think Reed shot himself in the foot with his performance in the wild card round. I mean, he sounded pretty bad and the performance didn't exactly convince the judges he was worthy of getting a final spot. That's just my opinion though.
That's what I thought - if he had gone more straight singing rather than... whatever he did, he may have had a shot. It wasn't just the scatting, which I think could add something unique in small doses to some songs, it was the over-hyper, random-noise making that killed it for me.

I DO really, really like him, though! He's not a good fit for AI; I hope to see him somewhere!

And I absolutely LOVE Skylar! I was so glad she got through! And Elise and Phil Phillips, too. They've been the real standouts for me (besides Reed ).

Old 03-03-2012, 05:23 PM

18,936 posts, read 11,528,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoNan View Post
Good point - it's helpful that he watches on a monitor because being telegenic is a huge part of being an American Idol so I'm glad someone who knows what he's talking about is seeing how these kids translate onto the screen.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:02 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,575,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Duh! I just figured out who PP is. I've been thinking of him as Phil2.

Love, love, love the 1974 clip of Steven.

I agree about Deandre and his hair. Does anyone remember Sanjaya Malakar from Season 6, in 2007 (the year that Jordin Sparks won over Blake Lewis -- I call it the forgotten season). Sanjaya was a very weak singer but his hair (especially the faux-hawk) kept him on the show for many weeks longer than his voice. It was the topic of more water-cooler discussion than anyone/anything else that season. And AI knows that translates into publicity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/04/ar...watc.html?_r=1
Maybe I should rethink the PP abbreviation. I saw others using it. Aerosmith really had to contain themselves on that small stage. I watched a 2004 version of that song and Steven was all over the place up on a trapeze the whole nine yards....no wonder his feet are so mangled from all the dancing.

Yes I remember Sanjaya. I think you are spot on calling it the forgotten season. I liked Jordin but I know I tuned out for most of that season. I don't have a clue who Blake Lewis is. Yes AI loves to ride the drama train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I think it's that he looks one way but he sounds another way -- like Clay Aiken in the early AI Season 2 shows (before he got all "spiked" up). If you close your eyes, you may hear how lovely Hee Jun's voice really is (in my opinion anyway).

As I said earlier, I've changed my mind about how far he can go in this competition -- but that doesnt mean I dont recognize his talent. I'm also enchanted by his story...he never sang in front of his family or anyone else before now. And he does have a great sense of humor. I know none of that matters in a "singing" contest but it's why he appeals to me and, I suspect, why he appeals to so many voters.
Great post!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,849,178 times
Late to this party, but didn't finish the episodes until yesterday. Sad about Reed Grimm, I liked him very much. Sorta sad about Creighton Fraker So now I am rooting for the two other interesting guys, Philip Phillips and my personal fave in terms of personality, Heejun. None of the females do anything for me, despite their great voices. Now I will go back and read your opinions

Old 03-04-2012, 08:26 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,849,178 times
Addendum: I cannot stand Deandre's high pitched voice. It should have been Reed in that spot. I am also a zero fan of Colton. Ick. Don't worry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV