Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 05:49 PM

18,936 posts, read 11,542,429 times

Advertisements

Some people are willing to put it all on the line for this dream but I can see how it could still be a major hardship. Especially in this economy, depending on their circumstances, it could be life changing in a very negative way for those who last long enough to lose it all but not long enough to make a new life for themselves. As for Adam specifically, I'll be surprised if he makes it through this next cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:59 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,335,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Another season, more questioning why judges are even involved at this point. In all, only 2 of the 13 contestants actually received feedback from them.

To the performances...
1) Aaron was my favorite last night. The performance was really good. Vocals on point.
2) Colton butchered Paramore's song. Easily the worst performance last night.
3) Eben was eaten alive by the Adele's song. His voice nowhere near the strength of hers. It showed. Not sure why he would pick a song that would do that.
4) Everytime I see DeAndre, I think Milli Vanilli.
5) Phillip Phillips was my fav going in but he picked a bad song for his voice. I worry for him making the cut.
6) Adam, Josh, Jeremy, Jermaine, and Reed all sounded great.

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I agree about the judges. They actually seem to like each other and they are a good mix.

Let me pile on to Hopes' post too. I do enjoy this group ... I actually stopped watching Idol for YEARS until Simon left!!

I believe the "idiot" (and I agree on that) from Xfactor has been canned, if I recall correctly.
I forget who they were looking at as a replacement but I remember thinking it wasn't much better.... I'll try to look it up.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:34 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,328,237 times
Randy's admission that the judges were easy on the guys last night was "too little, too late" (in my opinion).

At least they're being honest with the girls tonight. There have been a couple of good girls tonight but, for the most part, I'm wondering what happened to the lovely voices I heard in prior weeks.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:56 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,367,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
After watching that idiot host on X Factor, I finally appreciate Ryan Seacrest. It's also refreshing to watch 3 judges get along and be kind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Ya know, Ryan really has grown on me over the years. He works a ton and almost always does a good job. I like the little guy - although, IMO, he flubbed that whole dictator situation at the Oscars.
I agree that Ryan has really grown, not just on me, but as an MC. He is a classy guy. I think he handled the stupid Oscar thing very well. As someone who is on stage a lot, I can testify it's startling to have someone pull a stupid stunt like that when you're in front of the camera. Someone who was having a meltdown stood up in my program once and threatened to kill me, started swearing and just wiggin' out. It wasn't anything I did, she was just in meltdown. It takes a LOT to maintain when the cameras are rolling and everyone is watching. I survived it and maintained, but that's from 30 years of practice.

Man oh Man - the girls are knocking it out of the park tonight. Skylar just sang ... wow! All the girls so far with the exception of Jen Hirsh have been amazing. This is going to be fun. I hope all these kids get a shot, I'm excited for them!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:06 PM

18,936 posts, read 11,542,429 times
IMO the girls got off to a weaker start and weren't as strong overall as the boys were last night. I'm hoping the following 6 girls stay, even though Jen Hirsh wasn't as good as usual and Shannon is just so-so for me...

Jen Hirsh
Brielle Van Hugel (love that husky voice)
Skyler Lane (spunky and raspy!)
Shannon MaGrane
Jessica Sanchez (one of my favorites overall)
Elise Testone (outshined Jen with that Adele song - might be a new overall fave for me)

Least favorite...
I disagreed with the judges about Erika - I thought she was flat.
Bailey Brown - sad - she was off all the way around - and her boobs were smooshed. They all dragged out the "you're pretty" line of death.
Holly Cavanaugh - What is that weird almost Brit accent of hers? I thought she sounded like a nasaly Disney song.
Haley Johnson - butchered a great song and threw out all the good parts

Old 02-29-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
IMO the girls got off to a weaker start and weren't as strong overall as the boys were last night. I'm hoping the following 6 girls stay, even though Jen Hirsh wasn't as good as usual and Shannon is just so-so for me...

Jen Hirsh
Brielle Van Hugel (love that husky voice)
Skyler Lane (spunky and raspy!)
Shannon MaGrane
Jessica Sanchez (one of my favorites overall)
Elise Testone (outshined Jen with that Adele song - might be a new overall fave for me)

Least favorit...
I disagreed with the judges about Erika - I thought she was flat.
Bailey Brown - sad - she was off all the way around - and her boobs were smooshed. They all dragged out the "you're pretty" line of death.
Holly Cavanaugh - What is that weird almost Brit accent of hers? I thought she sounded like a nasaly Disney song.
Haley Johnson - butchered a great song and threw out all the good parts

First boldfaced line - totally agree. In fact I thought most of the girls were not great. I'm beginning to think it must make all the difference if you're sitting there 40 feet away rather than in front of a television! For example, I disagree about Brielle. (Think I have the right one -- whoever sang Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay.) I thought it was absolutely AWFUL... but the judges fell all over it. (If I hear Steven say "beautiful" one more time I'm going to invent a drinking game....) Was Shannon's song a Christian song?
Whatever... I kept wishing more of them would sing something ACCESSIBLE. Especially for the first night -- sing something familiar and upbeat!! I couldn't understand most of the words in Skylar's song -- she hurried thru them. That's a trick when they don't have good breath control (which she blamed on the tight dress). They Hurry up to the part where they can SCREAM.

Second boldfaced line -- I was thinking the same thing!! She lives in Texas -- what the hell was that accent???? When she talks she is a giggly goofy teenager -- but man when she sings -- she does have power. Not crazy about her song choice but hope she gets to stay.

I thought we were going to find out about the boys tonight -- but now I see there's ANOTHER two-hour show tomorrow!! Geez...what a way to milk the first live week!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,747,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Actually it can be tough on people. A few years ago there were articles on families of contestants who were struggling so their son/daughter could be on the show.
I never said it wasn't tough on families. But obviously families decide to make this sacrifice or the contestants wouldn't be on the show.

Quote:
American Idol only covers the expenses of a parent if the contestant is under 18, so if a parent of a contestant that is 19 or 20 decides to stick around LA for the duration it is on their dime.

So whether they decide to fly back and forth or remain in CA that's their expense.
They don't have to be there. I haven't seen my child for many months since he left to pursue his dream because we financed the relocation and the investment in equipment, etc., and continue to financially support him. (At least the AI contestants don't need financially supported while they are in LA.) We talk on the phone multiple times a day.

Quote:
And most people these days require two incomes.
I don't believe that. It's all about living within the means of one income. We have done it for most of the past 20 years. We've even managed to finance some big dreams without taking out loans. And we are literally paying for two residences in different areas of the country right now on one income.

Quote:
He gave the impression that was his house, if they're renting they're foolish as they could save money and get a smaller place.
It would be foolish because it costs more to rent than own here. I do wonder if his church provided him with that residence. But that's not necessarily the case because they could have bought it on his wife's income.

Quote:
And he's not too good. He does more shouting than actual singing.
I'm not a fan. I'm just sharing information about the economy and cost of living in my area.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,776,020 times
I also agree that the girls' performances tonight weren't as strong as the guys' were last night.

I agree that Jennifer Hirsh didn't do as good as she's capable of, but I would still put her on my top five list. Other faves of mine were:

Jessica Sanchez
Elise Testone
Skylar Laine
Shannon Magrane

Old 02-29-2012, 08:58 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,367,189 times
What's the name of the one that looks like a young Kim Bassinger?

I have a feeling there were some mic issues. So many of them sounded thin. Remember they had that problem last year at the beginning? I looked up many of their auditions and their voices were steadier. I don't have names connected with faces yet. But there were some strong ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV