Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 02:21 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Interesting - but how do they charge them if they have no electricity -
Good question....if I ever get a chance I will ask.

This man managed.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...69-504083.html

Old 12-11-2011, 02:38 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Amish and Puppy Mills (http://njministries.org/1Amish/amish.html - broken link)

This was my first hit....do a search yourself....you will be shocked.

There is animal abuse in all cultures...not the entire Amish Community is like that....believe me...I've known some....and admire them with my heart and soul...really good people.

It just really angers me when someone gets all "lets crucify a culture" kick....

Old 12-11-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
All this Amish bashing.

The Amish saved by husband's life last year!

He was traveling through the mountains of central Pennsylvania when I massive blizzard hit. He was in the middle of nowhere, nothing, nothing around. After four hours, an Amish man showed up, materialized from out of the blue. He offered my husband a place to stay. When my husband declined, he gave my husband a big warm meal and wool blankets. He told my husband where he lived if he changed his mind. And said he'd come back to check on him in X hours.

The blizzard went all night. The Amish man checked on him every four to six hours, always bringing hot food. He was taking food and blankets to other people too but hubby didn't know where they were. Turns out after the blizzard ended, there were a string of vehicles. They couldn't see each other, not even tail lights or headlights, because the storm caused zero visibility. And he could see the Amish man's house too.

Just because the storm had stoppped and the sun was out didn't mean they were safe. It took more than 48 hours after the storm for the roads to be cleared. Everyone eventually went to stay at the Amish family's house, slowly as each vehicle got low on fuel. None of them would have survived that blizzard if it hadn't been for that Amish family.
wanted to give you reps hopes, but you know the story...thank goodness for this post and for your open mind and awareness...

Hugs
Creme

Old 12-11-2011, 04:38 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,327 times
Isn't it interesting how people don't want to be lumped together and labeled but they'll do it to others? Now that's horrifying (and hypocritical).

Old 12-11-2011, 07:12 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
There is animal abuse in all cultures...not the entire Amish Community is like that....believe me...I've known some....and admire them with my heart and soul...really good people.

It just really angers me when someone gets all "lets crucify a culture" kick....
Yes, we need to be very careful about blaming every Amish for what some do, there are good and bad people in every culture.
I will repeat a previous poster, and say again ADOPT DON"T SHOP! If people would heed this there would be no more puppy mills, and countless dogs, cats and birds could be saved and given good homes.

Anyway, the show sounds interesting, they have episodes online at Channel4.com

Old 12-12-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Of course, you are right.

However, this thread is about the Amish.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:06 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
That's a wonderful story, Hopes, and I'm very glad your hubby was taken care of by a good man. I have no doubt that that the Amish are good people but this keeping silent about the bad apples is just plain wrong.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Of course, you are right.

However, this thread is about the Amish.
yes, driller1 it is...but it is entitled, "Living with the Amish"...
first, no where does it ask about Animal Abuse...and please correct me if I'm wrong and didn't catch the OP stating anything about Animal abuse,,,,
and second, once again, the Amish are a very humble people...and yes, as in everything else in this world, there is good and bad in everything, every culture, but that doesn't set presidence for the entire culture, and the way I read your post, I really did think you were saying it was all Amish that abuse animals, and that gives them a really bad rap.

Have you ever met them? Spoke with them, gone to they're churches, eaten with them, listened to they're views and opinions?

I mean the Amish as a whole, are great people...are there amish that abuse dogs? Yes....
Have there been people on the outside here in this country that abuse animals...OMG, yes...all cultures, blacks, whites, yellows, whatever, but there are many more on the outside who abuse animals then Amish....

so, all I'm saying is, lets be careful before we speak for an entire community b/c one or two in that community do a bad thing....yanno?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
yes, driller1 it is...but it is entitled, "Living with the Amish"...
first, no where does it ask about Animal Abuse...and please correct me if I'm wrong and didn't catch the OP stating anything about Animal abuse,,,,
and second, once again, the Amish are a very humble people...and yes, as in everything else in this world, there is good and bad in everything, every culture, but that doesn't set presidence for the entire culture, and the way I read your post, I really did think you were saying it was all Amish that abuse animals, and that gives them a really bad rap.

Have you ever met them? Spoke with them, gone to they're churches, eaten with them, listened to they're views and opinions?

I mean the Amish as a whole, are great people...are there amish that abuse dogs? Yes....
Have there been people on the outside here in this country that abuse animals...OMG, yes...all cultures, blacks, whites, yellows, whatever, but there are many more on the outside who abuse animals then Amish....

so, all I'm saying is, lets be careful before we speak for an entire community b/c one or two in that community do a bad thing....yanno?
Yes, I have talked to them.

In fact, we have drilled wells for them.

That is how I know about their history with the local and state health departments.

That means I would NEVER eat anything they made. They just do not have the sanitation.

I have been in a few homes, they smelled like kerosene and wood smoke.

Is this all Amish???

Of course not.

BTW, I was not the first to bring up the animal abuse.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:59 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
Quote:
That means I would NEVER eat anything they made. They just do not have the sanitation.
Thank you! I have been wondering about this for years. How can they get health dept. approval to prepare and sell food items, given their limited facilities? Many (not all, so no one need reply that I am making blanket statements), don't have running water inside. Those who do, might not have hot water. During a farm tour in Tennessee, I noticed the outhouses. The idea of a woman leaving an outhouse to return to her kitchen made me rethink that peanut brittle and jelly I just bought.

Ew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV