Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 02:20 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Nah. Kirkman will never kill Rick. And Kirkman's comic violence does tend toward the gratuitous at times.
I can't see killing off Rick either but some think Rick is grooming Carl to be his replacement. I'm not even sure Carl is still alive, I haven't read much past 110~ so who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 02:24 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Nah. Kirkman will never kill Rick. And Kirkman's comic violence does tend toward the gratuitous at times.
Actually Kirkman has said that the show will likely outlive Rick.

That day will be the day I stop watching TWD. Without Andrew Lincoln, life has no purpose

Old 02-17-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
Actually Kirkman has said that the show will likely outlive Rick.

That day will be the day I stop watching TWD. Without Andrew Lincoln, life has no purpose
The average life span of a TV show is probably around 6-8 seasons. I can't see killing Rick off in the next 2-4 seasons. The show could live much longer but even so, if they continue to follow the book plots, there is enough material for Rick to last well into the 15th season. So I wouldn't look for them to kill Rick off anytime soon.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:06 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
The average life span of a TV show is probably around 6-8 seasons. I can't see killing Rick off in the next 2-4 seasons. The show could live much longer but even so, if they continue to follow the book plots, there is enough material for Rick to last well into the 15th season. So I wouldn't look for them to kill Rick off anytime soon.
I don't see them killing him off anytime soon either. Actually I see TWD as having a much longer than average run. I just wish they would have more shows per year!!!!!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I don't see them killing him off anytime soon either. Actually I see TWD as having a much longer than average run. I just wish they would have more shows per year!!!!!
Oh hack ya, I wouldn't mind 10 or more seasons and I think there is more than enough interesting material involving Rick to keep him through it all.

Anyhow, If they follow the comic plots, next up with be the "Hunters."

"While Rick Grimes and his group continue on their way to Washington, D.C. they start to suspect they are being stalked by someone in the woods. Suddenly, Dale is kidnapped in the night and Rick, Abraham, Michonne, and Andrea set out to find this new threat and stop them, though they finally see their humanity torn to the last shreds with the actions they take to stay alive."

Volume 11: Fear The Hunters - Walking Dead Wiki

I'm not sure how this will go over without Dale or Hershel...maybe their sub Tyrese or Daryl?

Now with that said, I've also heard rumors that Scot Gimple wants to speed things up a bit in order for the TV show to catch up with the comics. This could mean skipping plots or simply not spending enough time on a single plot. Only time will tell.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:30 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Even the most popular shows tend to start petering out around seasons 7 or 8.

Look at M*A*S*H, which was from a very different time.. But, it hit its peak (In terms of ratings) in season 5.. It 'held on' for another 6 seasons, without much dropoff, but, that was back in the day of 3 channels.

American Idol might be a good example.. Season 6 was the peak in terms of viewership with 37 million viewers (for the premier).. It's been a fast and steady decline since then, with season 13, this year, premiering with 15.19 million viewers.

Or Survivor.. It peaked with 29 million viewers for season 2.. Hung around the 20 million mark until season 10 (Which, they have 2 'seasons' per year, so.. A 'normal' show that would be season 5) and has dropped since then to right around the 10 million mark now.

NCIS is an oddity.. Its' just completed 10th season was the highest rated season of the show.

Production costs will likely be the driving factor with TWD. The SFX on it are a higher cost than the 'average' show.. But.. the cost of the actors is probably lower than average.. Pretty hard to force a contract renegotiation for more money when they can easily just say "eaten by walkers". So, that also backs up your thought of a longer than average run.

So far, the ratings for TWD are just up, up, up.. But, if you want to look for the first possible signs of a flatlining, which then leads to a decay.. this season is the first season to have any single episode have a rating lower than the highest rating in a previous season.

What I mean by that is.. Season 1's highest rated episode was #6 "TS-19" with 5.9 million viewers, season 2's lowest rated episode was #6 Secrets with 6.0 million viewers

Season 2's highest rated episode was #13 "Beside the Dying Fire" with 8.9 million, season 3's lowest was #6 "Hounded" with 9.0 million

Season 3's highest rated was #16 "Welcome to the Tombs" with 12.4 million, while season 4's lowest rated has been #7 "Dead Weight" with 11.2 million. In fact.. 4 episodes from season 4 have been lower than Season 3's highest rated episode.. #5, #6, #7 and #8 were all lower.

So.. Perhaps the beginning signs of flatlining of the ratings are starting to show. that being said.. Do the ratings take a quick and sudden dive, or the slow curve to death? I'd say no question there's 3 more years.. Up to and including season 7.. Past that.. Remains to be seen.

The quality of the show is also very much a concern.. I'm astounded that it's remained at a high quality.. Remember that Darabont was fired over disagreements with AMC over the direction and budget of the show.. Mazzara who took over, 'stepped down' after season 3 over disagreements over where the show should go.. And there's been, basically, entirely new writing staffs for each season.. Sooner or later.. that's going to catch up with them.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The quality of the show is also very much a concern.. I'm astounded that it's remained at a high quality.. Remember that Darabont was fired over disagreements with AMC over the direction and budget of the show.. Mazzara who took over, 'stepped down' after season 3 over disagreements over where the show should go.. And there's been, basically, entirely new writing staffs for each season.. Sooner or later.. that's going to catch up with them.
Agreed.

We've seen examples of shows lasting through their 10th season and longer but how many did it while replacing their entire writing staff each Season? Hopefully things will change.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:56 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,432 times
They are going to continue adding new characters though, which is good. As long as they don't get rid of their core group I think they'll be okay for at least 10 seasons. Usually once a main character leaves, a show starts to falter.

Norman Reedus has said in multiple interviews that he will stay with the show forever, and if they try to kill him off he'll just keep showing up on set. Andrew Lincoln has said essentially the same thing, that as long as they keep challenging him as an actor he'll continue with the show because he loves the people he works with. As long as the writers don't do anything too stupid and cut off their noses to spite their face (Kirkman has threatened to kill off Daryl just to see if fans really will riot) then I see the show continuing to deliver for a while.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:03 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
My bet is that the alcoholic guy (the one who accidentally brought down that huge shelf of bottles) will die next.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:17 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My bet is that the alcoholic guy (the one who accidentally brought down that huge shelf of bottles) will die next.
We can only hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV