Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 01:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaMommy View Post
Is 'America's Got Talent' Breakout Star Tim Poe a Fraud? - Yahoo! TV

I just watched this episode last night, and my husband and I were speculating that he was faking it when he came off stage and didn't stutter while talking to Nick (which Nick even noted at the moment). Hilarious to me to see this story this morning.
(Funny thing, I said to my husband that if he's faking the stutter, he did a decent job at it - and stuttered myself when I said it! Hubby had a good laugh...)

And on another note - We love Nick. He's hilarious and the perfect host for the show!
That does not mean a thing. Sometimes stutterers will speak without stuttering in stressful or emotional situations. He may be faking but that wouldn't be reason to prove it.

Faking or not, people should be judged on their talent not their hard-luck stories. I really think the show puts too much emphasis on the contestants person lives. If this guy is faking, he probably is doing it because he saw that former contestants' hard luck stories put them through to the next rounds when the talent really wasn't there.

I also love Nick. I think he is the best part of the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 11:03 PM

563 posts, read 1,498,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That does not mean a thing. Sometimes stutterers will speak without stuttering in stressful or emotional situations. He may be faking but that wouldn't be reason to prove it.

Faking or not, people should be judged on their talent not their hard-luck stories. I really think the show puts too much emphasis on the contestants person lives. If this guy is faking, he probably is doing it because he saw that former contestants' hard luck stories put them through to the next rounds when the talent really wasn't there.

I also love Nick. I think he is the best part of the show.
We simply thought it was a little fishy that he lost his stutter after the performance. It's interesting that someone would stutter but sing so nicely without stuttering, and I believe there are probably people out there that do it. Hearing that he made the whole injury up just isn't too surprising I guess.
And I agree that a lot of times they put a little too much into the personal stories. And that guy didn't have to lie and fake a stutter either... he was definitely good enough to easily make it at least a couple rounds.

There have been a few acts that are similar where one gets praised and passed easily, and then the next one I personally think is about the same but better, yet it's a tough decision and they don't get nearly as many compliments and barely make it to Vegas. Sometimes I want to scream at the judges.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:20 AM

I hope he isn't a phoney. But anything's possible. He reminded me of the country western singer Mel Tillis, I think that's who it is, who also stutters in his speaking voice but sings without a trace of stuttering.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:25 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Meanwhile, what about that 19 year old guy named Andrew who came out dressed bizarre in black Gothic and light blue contacts on his eyes to bring the house down and end the show this week? He spoke with a typical male voice but startled everyone by singing like a female opera singer. His background story was hard to believe. Never sang in front of anyone, including his parents. It will be interesting to see how far he will go, given his supposed lack of show business experience. Given that, I'll be stunned again, if he can go as far in the show as the somewhat similar in personality, but much more experienced Prince Poppycock did a couple or so years ago.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 AM

563 posts, read 1,498,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Meanwhile, what about that 19 year old guy named Andrew who came out dressed bizarre in black Gothic and light blue contacts on his eyes to bring the house down and end the show this week? He spoke with a typical male voice but startled everyone by singing like a female opera singer. His background story was hard to believe. Never sang in front of anyone, including his parents. It will be interesting to see how far he will go, given his supposed lack of show business experience. Given that, I'll be stunned again, if he can go as far in the show as the somewhat similar in personality, but much more experienced Prince Poppycock did a couple or so years ago.

When he started singing, I totally thought of Poppycock. I loved Poppycock - he had so much to bring to the stage, not just a voice. Andrew has the talent to go far in the show, but it will come down to what kind of a show he uses to present that voice. But think about Jackie Evanco too. She didn't exactly have a show, she just had the voice typically. But then again, I would say she was on a much higher level than either of the two as far as her voice.

I loved when the little lego looking people came out and the one guy tripped. I had to watch it again, and I think I'm going to go watch it again right now. That was hilarious.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:14 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
I miss Piers!

I can't believe the mediocre talent that they're taking to Vegas this season. Somebody needs to step up and say enough, nobody wants to see that again. Buh Bye.

On the other hand, I've watched Andrew on You Tube at least a hundred times and I still get goose bumps every single time. I hope he has a good repertoire to wow us every week.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:21 PM

I didn't realize they did an elimination in Vegas without even seeing the acts again. Seems like a wasted trip, but I'm glad because there were lots of acts taken to Vegas that I had no desire to see ever again.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I didn't realize they did an elimination in Vegas without even seeing the acts again. Seems like a wasted trip, but I'm glad because there were lots of acts taken to Vegas that I had no desire to see ever again.
I always thought it was sad for the contestants who got their hopes up in the auditions because they were told they had made it to Vegas and then never got a chance to perform in the next round there.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:43 AM

This is the first time I've watched the early audition rounds of this show. Do they have performances with an audience in Vegas, or is that when they get back to NY? Cuz last night was kind of boring with the judges sitting stern-faced watching them.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:48 PM

Am I the only one watching this anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV