Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:09 AM

374 posts, read 472,681 times

Advertisements

Without a doubt, the last 2 to 3 years of DS9 produced some of the best sci-fi of the past few decades.

"In the Pale Moonlight" alone cements DS9 as an all-time contender for best sci-fi television ever. Sisko ignores his morals and risks his integrity to save the alpha quadrant. Riveting episode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 07:03 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
Star Trek: Deep Space Bablyon Nine. Or was it Bablyon: Deep Space Five?

I wish Tony Todd would have gotten the role as Sisko. I will watch anything with him in it.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 AM

475 posts, read 648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpiv View Post
Without a doubt, the last 2 to 3 years of DS9 produced some of the best sci-fi of the past few decades.

"In the Pale Moonlight" alone cements DS9 as an all-time contender for best sci-fi television ever. Sisko ignores his morals and risks his integrity to save the alpha quadrant. Riveting episode.
One of my favorite episodes of any series ever, what an incredible story and Avery Brooks was brilliant

Old 05-09-2012, 02:19 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
DS9 got really great in the last two seasons with the Dominion war-it was a sci-fi version of WWII. Amazing, passionate performances.
I really liked DS9. I think it was at least as good as TNG. The first few seasons started out slow but it became better as it aged when they introduced the Dominion War. The quality of most shows decline as they age. I think Worf joining the cast was the point it began to improve. DS9 was also much darker than TNG.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:38 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
I believe during the DS9 days they also had some compatition with Babylon 5. I was amazed at how things changed Sisko finally accepted his wife's death,and finding out why fate put him there in the first place [who his mother was], Jake growing up and becooming a journalist. Quarks nephew [forget his name] joining Star Fleet losing a leg during combat and coming back up in life. ALL the charatures growing and learning, Kira learning how to work with everyone else. Odo finally finding out WHO and WHAT he was. They even brought Worf in as well [AFTER Enterprise D had been distroyed]

If you notice STTNG sort of moved on with DS9 [with Eneterprise and Picard there in the opening show], DS9 moved on with Voyager [Voyager stopping at DS9 before heading out looking for the Marquie. I think they were trying to add continuance to the Star Trek family. Each show was interesting and unique

I think Gene would be proud of ALL the series.
Quark's nephew was Nog. I liked Nog because he was an untraditional Ferengi because profit wasn't his motivation in life. One memorable Nog/Jake episode was when they encountered a Defiant class ship manned by Starfleet cadets who were out training but all the officers were killed so they were making attacks on the Dominion solo. All the cadets idolized the "captain" who was also merely a cadet. The one thing that bothered me was that Nog, even though he was only an ensign, was a Starfleet officer and was the highest ranked on this ship but eveyone, including Nog, deferred to this cadet captain.

But if I think Gene Rodenberry had lived, he never would have allowed the Dominion War story line. He wanted there to be peace in the future. I read that when they were creating TNG, he didn't want Klingons in the show because he wanted it to be peaceful. The compromise was to have a Klingon officer on the Enterprise and for the Federation to have a peace treaty with the Klingon Empire.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
I haven't seen a Star Trek series that I didn't like although it took me a while to warm to Voyager and Enterprise. But when it came to DS9 you'd be pressed to find a more distinguished actor to follow Patrick Stewart than Avery Brooks. Other members of the cast, Rene Auberjonois (Odo), Amin Shimerman (Quark), and Colin Meaney (Miles O'Brien) brought a depth of acting experience that, I think was untouchable by any of the previous series or those that followed. Other cast members, Nana Visitor (Kira Nerys - why they couldn't use her real name is beyond me), Marc Alamo (Gul Dukat) were an amazing pairing as former enemies, with Dukats machiavellian arrogance and Kira's hyperactive cynicism. As for the plot, the interaction between Odo and Quark, Gul Dukat vs Kira, and Cisco in the middle of it all was always fun to watch.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:09 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
DS9 grew on me through the years. liked the character development, story lines, underlying themes and morals....

never liked Voyager.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
I really liked DS9. I think it was at least as good as TNG. The first few seasons started out slow but it became better as it aged when they introduced the Dominion War. The quality of most shows decline as they age. I think Worf joining the cast was the point it began to improve. DS9 was also much darker than TNG.
It was always meant to be the flip side. TNG Picard sails in, fixes the problem and sails away. Problem unfixes itself he is gone and its someone else's problems so he could come up with the more expedient of solutions. Sisko had to live with them and remain ever flexable.

And it also dealt with the clash between the Federation/Starfleet idea that they could make prefection and everyone was happy and the Bajoran side of those who viewed them as children who needed to grow up. And thematically they have to. There are small touches which didn't always make it into the screen but did the books. People kept food in their quarters since the replicators were known to shut down for no reason. The reason voles were such a big problem was that people did have food hidden as a just in case. These were people brought up in plenty who learned fast.

Nog's journey after losing a leg is one you seldom see in space wars. His trauma was not minimized, and telling is a comment Bashir makes when asked if he would get a new one, he said maybe... what does the Federation who can fix anything do when they have amputees who don't get the feels like real limbs and are the walking reminder that everything changed? If children like Jules would have been put away in a nice safe prison so nobody had to see them, what happens to adults who you can't hide?

The most memeorable two parter for me was Bashir's and Sisko's visit to Sancuary District A with the real possibily of being stuck and really having to deal with it. It was planned as a 'ghetto' episode, but became so much more. The attitudes of those who were not locked in, who hadn't ever lost their papers, or been robbed was so true to life. The desperation of ordinary people who had no other place to turn, the self-layered class system within, mirrors reality.

And while they were filming, The LA City Council was debating a proposal to take a section of largely unusided buildings in downtown and make it an officicial homeless district. No wall but the sancuary districts didn't start with them either. They ran a preview showing of the episode to the city council, who voted down the proposal.

This is one series that I still want on DVD, even if its going to have to be a season at a time. I can watch it on netflix, but I still want it in hand.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
DS9 grew on me through the years. liked the character development, story lines, underlying themes and morals....

never liked Voyager.
It took a long time for me to get into Voyager but I needed a Star Trek fix and Netflix let me quickly move to the later episodes. If it hadn't been for Seven of Nine I surely would have given up. Seven of Nine fulfilled two traditional roles, the ultra-hot babe (obviously in the future the 21st Hugh Hefner Institute of Female Genetics had eliminated even average looks) and the logical Spock/Data role that Tim Russ as Tuvok totally failed at d developing.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:19 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I haven't seen a Star Trek series that I didn't like although it took me a while to warm to Voyager and Enterprise. But when it came to DS9 you'd be pressed to find a more distinguished actor to follow Patrick Stewart than Avery Brooks. Other members of the cast, Rene Auberjonois (Odo), Amin Shimerman (Quark), and Colin Meaney (Miles O'Brien) brought a depth of acting experience that, I think was untouchable by any of the previous series or those that followed. Other cast members, Nana Visitor (Kira Nerys - why they couldn't use her real name is beyond me), Marc Alamo (Gul Dukat) were an amazing pairing as former enemies, with Dukats machiavellian arrogance and Kira's hyperactive cynicism. As for the plot, the interaction between Odo and Quark, Gul Dukat vs Kira, and Cisco in the middle of it all was always fun to watch.
The episode in the Sancuary District is a two parter, Past Tense, season 3, part 1 and 2. The production numbers are 57 and 58. The interesting thing is at one point Bashir asks Sisko if push come to shove is the Federation any better than the Dominion or the others. Sisko sidesteps the answer, and its a perfect precurser of the Dominion war arc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV