Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 15,386 times

Advertisements

I always thought 'Pa' was quite self-centered. It gets too crowded so he packs up his family many times and leaves then plops them down in the middle of nowhere. It takes him a few days to go to and from town, leaving all women by themselves to either get raped or murdered while he's gone. Never gave thought to their safety, schooling or even having neighbors for company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 01:29 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGAPeach View Post
I always thought 'Pa' was quite self-centered. It gets too crowded so he packs up his family many times and leaves then plops them down in the middle of nowhere. It takes him a few days to go to and from town, leaving all women by themselves to either get raped or murdered while he's gone. Never gave thought to their safety, schooling or even having neighbors for company.
Did you ever watch the show? They were a short walk from town, and they had plenty of neighbors to interact with. The kids walked to and from school every day. I also don't remember Caroline or the daughters getting raped and murdered; what season was that in?

Old 11-10-2015, 09:21 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
The same season when Caroline finally had it up to *here* with Mrs. Oleson and locked her in the outhouse.

My favorite episode that season was when Albert secretly kept that pet armadillo, which caused an unfortunate leprosy outbreak.

I think that was also the season when Grace Edwards got liquored up and drove her horse and buggy into Plum Creek.

The lowest point, however, had to be that episode where Laura spent the hour with her head stuck in a gopher hole.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:21 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Did you ever watch the show? They were a short walk from town, and they had plenty of neighbors to interact with. The kids walked to and from school every day. I also don't remember Caroline or the daughters getting raped and murdered; what season was that in?

Short walk? It was more like 2-3 miles to town from the Ingalls farm.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:30 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
The same season when Caroline finally had it up to *here* with Mrs. Oleson and locked her in the outhouse.

My favorite episode that season was when Albert secretly kept that pet armadillo, which caused an unfortunate leprosy outbreak.

I think that was also the season when Grace Edwards got liquored up and drove her horse and buggy into Plum Creek.

The lowest point, however, had to be that episode where Laura spent the hour with her head stuck in a gopher hole.
Lol, somehow, I just don't remember these episodes.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:30 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Well, I never actually heard them quote the mileage, but it was close enough for the kids to walk to and from school every day. Since I used to walk 1 mile each way and that was an easy 30 minute walk in the 1970s and 1980s, I'm sure that 100 years earlier, 2-3 miles was considered an easy walk. They were made of sturdier stuff back then. Still, it's not "the middle of nowhere" and the family was not living in total isolation, several days from town, like the other poster claimed.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:57 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Well in reality back then around here that would have been a "short walk".

Old 11-11-2015, 09:40 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Well in reality back then around here that would have been a "short walk".
I still walk that far to the train each day, and then back again. And uphill both ways!

Old 11-11-2015, 09:58 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
In this area, we can still find remnants of the trail the farmers had to follow taking wheat crop to the railroad. It was a 20 mile plus walk with an ox cart and THAT would be a multi day walk.

Most farms are within a five or so mile radius of some small town where supplies could be found. Even for the Amish farmers that far out of town it's only going to be under an hours journey.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:35 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Well, I never actually heard them quote the mileage, but it was close enough for the kids to walk to and from school every day. Since I used to walk 1 mile each way and that was an easy 30 minute walk in the 1970s and 1980s, I'm sure that 100 years earlier, 2-3 miles was considered an easy walk. They were made of sturdier stuff back then. Still, it's not "the middle of nowhere" and the family was not living in total isolation, several days from town, like the other poster claimed.

The kids walked as the "crow flies" from point A to B. They don't walk along the road which curves along the terrain. I would think it is about a 45 minute walk each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV