Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 03:29 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times

Advertisements

I fell asleep...watching this week's episode of 'Awake'. Truthfully...I'll have to catch the ending on my DVR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 04:09 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I DID NOT see this coming! What a way to end an episode...even as I heard the words they said, I'm going....what does this mean???? Way to mess with my MIND!
Spoiler
Goes with my theory that they are both dead.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:26 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,405 times
Quote:
I DID NOT see this coming! What a way to end an episode...even as I heard the words they said, I'm going....what does this mean???? Way to mess with my MIND!
Yes, I was wondering if those words were deliberate and if so how does that fit in with what we know? Was this scene in a 3rd alternate reality where both were dead??? It doesn't seem to fit. And what about the unsolved murder of the homeless guy, is that relevant??

I think this show boils down to a clone of The Mentalist or Medium (or dare I say Unforgettable). The main character is solving crimes using knowledge that nobody else has. Another similarity with The Mentalist - his family were killed by some mysterious powerful person(s).

So the formula is going to be -
1. new crime every week, solved by passing knowledge back and forth between the realities, everyone thinks he's crazy
2. touching connections between the mother and son (motorbike)
3. the long story slowly unravels about how the accident happened and why.

I shall keep watching!

Old 03-10-2012, 06:00 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
I prefer her, actually. She empathizes with him a lot more than the other one! I'd dump the other psychiatrist myself. He's more or less saying none of that other stuff is real, so just snap out of it!
Yeah, but she has to believe he's delusional, as well. The worst thing, or one of the worst things to do if you are a professional is to feed into the delusions of such a patient. It only exacerbates the ailment.

But most of all, I really dislike that phony all present smirk, out of keeping with her words. It appears so patronizing. The people I have known who have that attribute have lost some touch with reality and speak to you out of a la-la land of their own making. Either that, or they are looking down at the person, the way a kindergarten teacher might a young child with his hand caught in the cookie jar.

It diminishes the importance of the patient and what he has to say, what he is experiencing.

I am not comparing the techniques of the two psychiatrists, but just commenting on that all knowing, forever present, puffy smile.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:29 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
This will be one of those great shows that never gets quite enough viewers to keep it going for longer than a season or two...the poor suckers that get hooked on it will get left in the lurch by the networks again!
It's a shame too. It's a wonderful show stuck in a terrible timeslot. It would fare much better on cable television like The Walking Dead.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:06 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Yes, I was wondering if those words were deliberate and if so how does that fit in with what we know? Was this scene in a 3rd alternate reality where both were dead??? It doesn't seem to fit. And what about the unsolved murder of the homeless guy, is that relevant??
Yes, it was relevant. At least the suspect involved was.

Spoiler
The paranoid bum that they spoke to kept saying that a small guy did it. And at the end of the episode, what's her name from ER asked the guy on the bench if they used a short guy to cause the fatal accident.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:49 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
If I fall asleep for the next episode, as I did for the last one, then I will quit watching it. I had higher hopes for this show. The writing is too slow and dull. Give me something good to keep me watching or I am moving on.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:16 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,911 times
I actually prefer the friendly psychiatrist to the borderline hostile male psychiatrist in part because she is coming up with ideas and suggestions to explore that would expose a fantasy from reality. Like where she had him read a section of a printout of the constitution. In a dream that much detail would be impossible. The male psychiatrist is very discouraging and could certify him unfit for duty or jeopardize his job.

His explanations to his coworkers of clues in one reality from the next seem to push the boundaries of acceptable suspension of disbelief sometimes. He’ll just say it’s a “hunch” and the coworkers accept it in stride for the most part yet they can’t figure out how in the world he would arrive at such a hunch. If they would press him on how he arrived at a hunch or zeroed in on a clue how could he rationally explain that he got it from his dream when there is no other possible explanation? I would think there are only so many hunches or lucky guess one can get away with over time.

I like the premise of being able to physically be with deceased loved ones even on a limited basis but there’s a Groundhog Day component to the show that after a while is going to get old quickly. Does he dream each and every night that he goes to sleep? The episode where he wore the colored rubber band on his wrist to remind him which reality that he’s in suggests that he can live in each reality for a couple of consecutive days as opposed to involuntarily switching back and forth each day. But when he wakes up regardless of the time span spent in the other reality he picks up right where he left off the previous day. To me that would become maddening because yesterday you did “x” but it was in the other reality and you would constantly have to remind yourself of where you are all the time.

I’m wondering how long the show can slowly draw out discovering the real circumstances of his accident and after the details are known will that be the end of the show and he’ll “stick” in that one particular reality? For now I’ll keep watching unless something really stupid happens which in a show like this wouldn’t take much.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:19 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
I dont question the fact that his co-workers let his answers slide or any of the probable inconsistencies. What's wrong with just accepting a storyline and enjoying it? Why do we have to dissect every occurrence and angle?

Old 03-11-2012, 08:46 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I dont question the fact that his co-workers let his answers slide or any of the probable inconsistencies. What's wrong with just accepting a storyline and enjoying it? Why do we have to dissect every occurrence and angle?
I suppose we each have different abilities to suspend disbelief. Some people watch these shows, enjoying the trip and others have to figure out where they are going.

My husband drives me nuts with detective mysteries because he often guesses the ending and I enjoy feeling in suspense until the ending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV