Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Besides the commercials, there are all these little pop ups, promos, reminders.....the little graphic things on the screen. They play during movies, tv shows.

The ads seem to be the worst ever. During the 80's or early 90's, they were pretty harmless....mcdonalds, supermarket ads, phone ads. Now, it's all drug ads and insurance.

And the side effects from the drug ads! Its amazing they are allowed to advertise.
Did you ever see The Simpsons episode where Marge is sitting at the kitchen table, sees some of these little pop up people and smashed them like bugs while they try to escape? It's histerical

Regarding drug ads. I recently read that the US and New Zeland are the only countries that allow drugs to be advertised on TV. Everywhere else it is not legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 06:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I was just wondering this morning why with all this technology we couldn't just.......watch all British TV somehow vs. being limited to BBCA?

There is a ton of british TV I would like to watch that's not on streaming...DVD's are just too slow!

Of course Hollwood wouldn't be able to remake all their stuff if they did that
But you would be surirsed now popualr american TV shows are in Britain. For 7.99 a month its hard to complain.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:13 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,018,059 times
There are a couple of things different about the way British series with a continuing story arc are superior to American shows. The British series may be as little as six episodes, which are typically all written by the same author or small group of writers. The US series have many more episodes and usually a larger team of writers. In America, this week's episode was probably NOT written by the same hand as last week's episode (and maybe not directed by the same director), so British series are typically more consistent then American ones.

The story arcs on British series are usually more complete from season to season, since a complete season is written by the same writers as a unit. In America, though, if a show becomes a hit, the writers never resolve anything, and just keep stalling and adding more complications to the story line (for example, see Lost). If we're lucky, the US writers will have some advanced warning that a show will not be renewed, so they can write a final episode that wraps things up, but often a show is just cancelled mid-season.

As was said earlier in the thread, the British shows that do make it to American shores are generally the best of the bunch, so don't assume all British shows are superior.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:08 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Are you aware that such great shows as "Big Brother" actually originated in the UK? If you only watch British shows on BBCA or PBS, you are getting the best of the best. They have just as much crap as we do.

Also, Mr. Bean is funny? News to me. I love a lot of British humor such as Monty Python and Fawlty Towers but I just don't get what is supposed to be funny about Mr. Bean.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 AM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I watch british sci fi and cringe, its that bad. Some will no doubt say " what about Dr. Who...? " I watched the classic ones back in the early 80s and they weren't that great. Yeah the special effects were bad but even the stories and characters ranged widely from good to bad. If I see a british sci fi movie I know its most likely going to be very stiff and uninspired.
Comedy and drama, thats different. I think the british are so uptight they have to laugh at themselves and act more than a little nuts or they'd be miserable. The japanese are similar. They have a sense of history and live in the past.
Good drama might be doomed in Amrica. you have too many people who have no clue what America was like 100 years ago and only live shallow unfocused lives in the present.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:04 PM

521 posts, read 1,473,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I think they are just different.
British TV doesn't suffer from the endless commercials that American TV is plagued with and some of the BBC shows are truly stunning (how I love Downton Abbey), however British TV has it's share of Jersey Shore'esque type programming too.
Not a major issue but fyi Downton Abbey isn't a BBC show, it is aired on ITV which is an independent station (funded by commercials/adverts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Are you aware that such great shows as "Big Brother" actually originated in the UK? If you only watch British shows on BBCA or PBS, you are getting the best of the best. They have just as much crap as we do.
No it didn't, the show is a Dutch creation so we are a victim just as much as you

I have to say that I love many, many US shows. as others have said, good tv is good tv and each country produces great shows and absolute crap. Thankfully we can all share in the good stuff that each country produces - we get some of your big shows within days of being aired in the US via our satellite channels. Got to love that.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I watch british sci fi and cringe, its that bad. Some will no doubt say " what about Dr. Who...? " I watched the classic ones back in the early 80s and they weren't that great. Yeah the special effects were bad but even the stories and characters ranged widely from good to bad. If I see a british sci fi movie I know its most likely going to be very stiff and uninspired.
Comedy and drama, thats different. I think the british are so uptight they have to laugh at themselves and act more than a little nuts or they'd be miserable. The japanese are similar. They have a sense of history and live in the past.
Good drama might be doomed in Amrica. you have too many people who have no clue what America was like 100 years ago and only live shallow unfocused lives in the present.
Have you seen "Blake's 7"?. It was a British SciFi show done in the 70's and for it's time was pretty good.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:49 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I'm only judging by the few British shows I see here, mostly reruns. Of course they have junk.
I'm a Coronation Street viewer. That soap is better than the few American ones left.
WOW, Coronation St is still on? Which channel carries it? I watched that as kid in the UK, I am an "adult" now I grew up near the real Coronation St, my aunt lived a couple of streets away. The old shows really do depict how life was back then in that area - along with gossipy women at the corner shop. Davy Jones was in the show at one time as a teen i think?

Old 03-04-2012, 12:28 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
It's virtually impossible to enjoy a show on US TV due to the seemingly endless commercial breaks.

Just as a show becomes interesting, on come the commercials. It's infuriating.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:14 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post

No it didn't, the show is a Dutch creation so we are a victim just as much as you

I have to say that I love many, many US shows. as others have said, good tv is good tv and each country produces great shows and absolute crap. Thankfully we can all share in the good stuff that each country produces - we get some of your big shows within days of being aired in the US via our satellite channels. Got to love that.
My bad. My point is the same as yours, every country has good and bad.

At least y'all gave us Three's Company and Sanford & Son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV