Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:41 PM

541 posts, read 861,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Just checked my queue and nothig missing. I stream only because I don't care to order and deal wit hmail.Certain better than any of the cable premium channels by far.
Really, because I thought I was imagining it and then my boyfriend piped up yesterday when we were finishing up viewing what's in our queue and then looking for new stuff to watch. He said to me "Hey, what happened to all the choices? Did Netflix take them away?". That's when I thought something's wrong.

Yeah, the mail can be a pain and I do enjoy Netflix streaming more than cable, especially when I don't see those huge bills!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 07:30 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
I lost about 12 things on my instant stream list yesterday, but it was nothing too important. Mostly older movies (Tangled, Robin Hood Men in Tights) offered by Starz and a couple if items that were on my instant stream queue for at least 6 months (that queue by itself has over 150 items. My DVD list is even longer at over 500 long b/c of the multiple discs in a TV season).

I typically drop off my DVDs at the post office on Thursday and get my new ones on Saturday. If they're movies, I drop off the new ones on Monday or Tuesday and typically get the new ones on Wednesday or Thursday. I hang onto TV shows much longer. I've found for me at least that the key to a quick turn around is dropping off the DVD right at the post office. For some reason, if I drop them off at a box, even if it's early in the morning before they do the pick up, an extra day or two is added. I can drop my discs off at the post office as late as 5pm and still get a quick turn around

Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I think one reason it only takes a day or two for me to get DVD's through the mail is because I have the old fashioned mail system that has a mail slot in my front door. So the letter carrier just puts the mail in the slot and it winds up on my living room floor.

Likewise, if I put something in the mail slot like the DVD's I want to return she will pick them up and they go with her directly to the post office. So they may get back to NetFlix a little sooner.

I don't mind waiting a couple of days. I don't really have to have instant gratification by having what I want to watch delivered to me in an instant. In a way, it's kind of fun to anticipate the next movie or TV show that's coming my way though the mail.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:55 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
Thanks for the info! I guess I'll take another look at Hulu Plus as maybe I missed something from their catalog. Even if I did all three it's still way less than cable!
HuluPlus's selection of movies is horrible. Truly, truly horrible.

But their selection of TV shows is quite good, and they even have recent shows that are still airing and not on DVD yet. You may have to wait a day or two to see the latest episode, but it's better than having to wait 6 months for the DVD.

And they even have a few shows that air before the networks air them. I saw the new show Awake 2 weeks before it aired on the network. Good how, by the way. Not great, but good.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:50 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
Thanks. I think the streaming selection is shrinking for me so you probably did the right thing (it was too easy to sign up for the streaming). How quick is the turnaround for DVD's by mail for you?

Thanks. That's the plan I'm thinking of going with. How long does it take to get the new DVD after you mail back the old one?
If I send the DVD back on Monday I get the next one on Wednesday. Netflix is pretty good with their delivery so far.

No telling what will happen when those post office cuts happen though. I'm patient though so it really doesn't bother me if it takes longer than one day.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:18 PM

541 posts, read 861,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
My DVD list is even longer at over 500 long b/c of the multiple discs in a TV season). (snip)

I've found for me at least that the key to a quick turn around is dropping off the DVD right at the post office. For some reason, if I drop them off at a box, even if it's early in the morning before they do the pick up, an extra day or two is added. I can drop my discs off at the post office as late as 5pm and still get a quick turn around
500, wow! Thanks for the tip about taking the disk to the P.O. for quicker turnaround.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Likewise, if I put something in the mail slot like the DVD's I want to return she will pick them up and they go with her directly to the post office. So they may get back to NetFlix a little sooner.
Ah, wish I had a door with a mail slot. That would be convenient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
HuluPlus's selection of movies is horrible. Truly, truly horrible.

But their selection of TV shows is quite good, and they even have recent shows that are still airing and not on DVD yet. You may have to wait a day or two to see the latest episode, but it's better than having to wait 6 months for the DVD.
Yeah, I was surprised by the poor variety of movies. Is it worth it for T.V. shows as I was looking up my favorites and I would get a message for many of them that they don't have the contract rights and to "request it"? Kinda bummed me out as I was so hoping to try hulu plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
If I send the DVD back on Monday I get the next one on Wednesday. Netflix is pretty good with their delivery so far.

No telling what will happen when those post office cuts happen though. I'm patient though so it really doesn't bother me if it takes longer than one day.
That's really fast. Yeah the P.O. near me might close as it's so small and I also worry that could effect Netflix DVD's by mail too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV