Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times

Advertisements

The Jeffersons as crazy as it was did a better job of portraying a successful Black family than The Cosby Show which was outlandish and insulated from the reality of the times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 11:42 PM

19,716 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Now I know who to blame when I can't get those songs out of my head.

Also, Willona the neighbor on Good Times sang and co-wrote the theme song for the Jeffersons.
Wow, that's pretty wild.

She was the coolest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy
Anymore posts in this thread that is not about the Jeffersons or the other shows I mentioned will be reported to the moderator for hijacking.
Ay man, I hear you. I can talk about the Jeffersons all night

Florence Slams George Jefferson - YouTube

Can we talk Amen? lol

Old 03-30-2012, 12:40 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,576 times
i loved this show and there is a lot of interesting trivia about this show that i find facinating. Loved Mr. Jeffersons Strutt

Old 03-30-2012, 03:34 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
In fairness to Frasier, they explained that away in an episode where Sam visited. Martin asked Sam if Frasier ever talked about him. Sam responded that Frasier said his father was dead. Frasier admitted it and said that was when he and his dad weren't speaking.

The Show Where Sam Shows Up — Frasier Transcripts Season 2 Episode 16 — The Frasier Archives At KACL 780 . Net

FYI, I knew this before I looked up the transcript. Sad...
I knew they explained it when Sam visited, but it was still something they changed after the fact, unless the writers had the whole concept of a spinoff and Frasier's relationship with his father in mind years in advance.

TVSG....sometimes threads float from one topic to another. Chill.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:15 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
I knew they explained it when Sam visited, but it was still something they changed after the fact, unless the writers had the whole concept of a spinoff and Frasier's relationship with his father in mind years in advance.

TVSG....sometimes threads float from one topic to another. Chill.
Oh, I was just explaining cause I wasn't sure if you knew or not. I've given up the ghost on the spinoff/not spinoff debate.

Another thing about The Jeffersons, that Marla Singer was one hot number.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:50 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
While the Jeffersons has not sold well on DVD and doesn't get a lot of viewers on Cable, the 3 black shows below have all seasons on DVD and have done well in syndication.

Sanford and Son
Good Times
What's Happening

Especially Good Times, I mean this is a depressing comedy about a family who can't catch a break and always struggling to make ends meet. The father can't find a job and you never see the family have any good luck.

On the Flipside, the Jeffersons is a fun comedy where the family is not struggling and there are no serious or depressing episodes at all. Yeah the father has a temper but all the other characters are likable and the show lasted a lot longer than all the others but can't seem to find a audience on cable.

Jeffersons-lasted 10 years
Good Times-6 years
Sanford and Son-5 years
What's Happening-3 years

Is the Jeffersons ever going to get any love? It's not a topical show at all and almost every episode is fun to watch unlike Good Times which dealt with suicide, drugs, unemployment, gangs, and death...even on the set. I just don't understand,

BTW: Sanford and Son and What's Happening were fun shows too and not serious like GOOD TIMES.
Cult classics sell well as does TV shows with flamboyant charecters Fred Sanford, Jimmy Evans and Rerun sell the DVDs. George Jeffeson may be popular but nothing comapred to the other three (that's my guess.)

Old 03-30-2012, 07:56 AM

Its longevity may also hurt DVD sales. People may not want to buy that many DVDs to get an entire series when you can get all of Sanford and Son for less money.

I agree also that George Jefferson isn't near as an iconic character as Fred Sanford or J.J.. I don't think Rerun was that memorable, but with only three seasons, someone could snatch up the whole series pretty cheaply.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:03 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
I enjoyed all the shows mentioned but have to say that Good Times was my favorite. I still enjoy watching reruns of Good Times more than the other 3. Good Times simply had better plots and writing IMO. I could certainly see my self purchasing the Good Times DVD pack and not The Jefferson's. Sanford and Son was probably my 2nd favorite of the 4 mentioned. Redd Foxx is simply hilarious. Lamont was rather dull, but Fred made the show...
I remember watching What's Happening back in the day but it was such a short lived show that it didn't leave much of an impression with me..
so my order would be;
1. Good Times
2. Sanford and Son
3. The Jefferson's
4. What's Happening

Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
I agree also that George Jefferson isn't near as an iconic character as Fred Sanford or J.J.. I don't think Rerun was that memorable, but with only three seasons, someone could snatch up the whole series pretty cheaply.
True, but I think that would qualify him to have more of a cult following.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:33 AM

I always thought Shirley (the waitress at the soda shop) was funnier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV