Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 06:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Are some posters here being willful or truly tone deaf? Whether these commercials appeal to you or not, surely any adult posting on this forum can see that it's not just about the wardrobe. Presumably the OP doesn't object to Playtex and Fruit of the Loom and Dove ads that show women in underwear. Each advertiser is going for a specific effect and demographic(s). Clearly VS wants to convey a sexy, sultry image. Playtex, on the other hand, tends not to promote the bend-me-over-this-railing-and-take-me-from-behind image.
That is exactly the issue many of us take with VS airing their commercials at such an early time. It's NOT the underwear. It's the imagethey are conveying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 06:07 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Michael Jordan wears underwear on TV promoting the Hanes brand, so it's no different or a bigger deal with VS. Besides there are remote controls to change the channel if you don't like what you see. And what about all the sex, the sex talk and other inuendos on Desperate Housewives and similiar shows that are shown during the regular evening hours. Some people need to get a life.
Is he acting sexy? Or is he simply walking around in them? Two different things.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
If I were selling a product, I would want to sell it in prime time whether it's soap or underwear. More people are watching.

And I thought Michael Jordan looked cute and sexy in his underwear.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:47 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Well, then, you'd better not wake him up in the morning...because you are almost guaranteed to see him in that same condition.
I always make a point to not look TMI for mom.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:55 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Can you give us some links to the information that shows 12 year old girls want Victoria's Secret underware?

12 year old girls and kids in general want lots of things. That doesn't mean their parents can't say "no" if they don't want them to have the items being sold on TV.

OH! We MUST saaaaaave the children!
Links?

ARE YOU KIDDING? Don't have pre-teen or teen aged kids, do you?

No wonder you are so clueless and asking for links.

Eek out all you want.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:00 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,684 times
Quote:
If I were selling a product, I would want to sell it in prime time whether it's soap or underwear. More people are watching.

And I thought Michael Jordan looked cute and sexy in his underwear.
No you wouldn't.

Don't have your BS, let alone MS, in Marketing, apparently.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:07 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
Quote:
So you don't take him to the beach where he may see women in bikinis? Or to the shopping malls in the summer time where the young girls where skimpy shorts and halter tops?

You can't hide these things from him. He may sense your discomfort with the commercials and it may make him uncomfortable.
I live in Alaska, not much chance of going to the beach-sigh. I'm not really discomforted by them, I wouldn't want him to have a hangup about such things. I don't either, it's just a different world. As a teen, I felt weird going to watch movies with my dad that had sex scenes-thats more what I meant. I've watched True Blood with my son, plenty of nudity on there.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:21 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I live in Alaska, not much chance of going to the beach-sigh. I'm not really discomforted by them, I wouldn't want him to have a hangup about such things. I don't either, it's just a different world. As a teen, I felt weird going to watch movies with my dad that had sex scenes-thats more what I meant. I've watched True Blood with my son, plenty of nudity on there.
Pardon my abruptness...but the kid sounds like he needs a male father figure in his life. For all I know, he may indeed have one, but the concerns you seem to have and express are something that single moms might have with their only teenaged son.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:11 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,358,060 times
be hilarious if we find out the son is gay an mom has no idea . and his only interest in the commercial is trying on the clothes for his own pleasure.........HA

Old 04-04-2012, 06:34 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Since people seem to be piling on to Gobrien, I'll add my two cents - not sure why anyone assumes the son doesn't have male role models in his life I totally get where gobrien is coming from and have known plenty of kids who'd rather not watch steamy stuff with a parent around - both girls and boys but for a boy it can be even more awkward if he gets or wants to get an erection and mom or dad is right there. Since one of my friend's kids used to hide the sears flyers under his bed so he could peruse the bra ads in private, I'm guessing the VS ads would be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV