Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:44 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,541,852 times

Advertisements

Anyone remember The New Zoo Review? (Coming right at you).

I was in line in Disneyland, for the Haunted House, when I was a kid, and ended up talking to the woman next to us. Turns out she was the voice for Freddie the Frog on New Zoo Review.

sample clip New Zoo Revue - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 02:08 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
There was a benefit? 11 channels with about 3 of them being repeats, what is the benefit to that?

Things that I have learned on modern TV, as a benefit of having a metric ton of content to choose from:

1. The ins and outs of crabbing, fishing, ice road trucking, gold digging, lumber cutting, beer brewing, bounty hunting, etc. on various documentaries and "reality" shows.
2. More recipes that I could ever cook in a lifetime.
3. An appreciation for older movies via TMC since they can be shown 24/7
4. How Things are Made on The Science Channel
5. More history about WWII than I can remember
6. About different cultures such as the Gypsies. Never knew why they were so despised.

TV and books are about the same, they can either enlighten and entertain or completely waste your time.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:58 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
One thing I really liked about 60s and 70s TV were the variety shows - we got to see the greats such as Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Red Skelton, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra et al. They had many great singers (Peggy Lee, Ella Fitzgerald), old movie stars and comedians as guests (as did Carol Burnett later). They were just pure class. Too bad many kids today have no idea who they are.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:31 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
One thing I really liked about 60s and 70s TV were the variety shows - we got to see the greats such as Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Red Skelton, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra et al. They had many great singers (Peggy Lee, Ella Fitzgerald), old movie stars and comedians as guests (as did Carol Burnett later). They were just pure class. Too bad many kids today have no idea who they are.
We don't have "specials" any more like a Bob Hope Special or a Dean Martin special or a Muppets special that they would have usually around holiday times or throughout the year.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:42 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Right now, if offered by my cable company, I would drop ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox or what I call the lower channels, for a cheaper bill. Everything I watch now is on cable. Certainly, not true in the 70s or 60s. I don't even know what's on the lower channels anymore nor do I care. These days my favorite show is Justified on the FX channel.

In the 60s, when I grew up, I don't remember any shows being canceled after just 3 episodes.

I also remember The Fall Preview TV Guide being a big deal because all new shows started around the same time and ran for approximately the same number of weeks...a lot of weeks...except for one, and I loved that show - The Prisoner. If I remember correctly all 17 episodes ran in the summer of 1968 on a Saturday night on CBS. I just remember it was still light outside when the show was on and coming in from outdoors, no matter what I was doing, to watch it.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I remember the Emergency Broadcast System from the 50's but I thought they still did that everywhere. I see it sometimes broadcast during the day.

Also in the 50's in Chicago they tested air raid sirens every Tuesday to make sure they worked in case those bad old Commies tried to drop a bomb on us.
The Emergency Broadcast System is alive and well. Since I have been living in a tornado state, I have experienced it a few times in the last 5 years. It takes over every single channel no matter what you are watching, the screen goes black with white writing, and it advises you to take shelter immediately.

Where I live, they test the nukes siren every 1st Wednesday of the month at noon.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:22 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
One benefit of TV pre 70's, was exercise. You actually had to get up off the couch to change the channel.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,416 times
One thing I miss on TV is The Battle of the Network Stars, I mean where else could you watch the likes of Gabe Kaplan and Robert Conrad battle it out in a 100 yard dash or Lynda Carter and Charlene Tilton get dunked in a water tank by Alan Alda? There's no way you could do this today, all the lawyers and network execs would have a fit

Old 04-11-2012, 02:07 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,009 times
I'm noting that I can't remember any one of our friends and neighbors having more than one TV!

My Grandparents would be a slight exception - when their console TV died (when TVs were furniture!) they bought a new 25 inch console TV for 400.00 in 1972 - and promptly put it in front of the old console!

I still have their "TV lamp" they used to have on top of the TV - since, according to them, watching TV in a dark room at night was bad for your eyes - and it still works today!

Holy cow - $400 in 1972 is about $2200 today! No wonder two TV households were rare at that time(at least in my world)!

Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
One benefit of TV pre 70's, was exercise. You actually had to get up off the couch to change the channel.
Plus, you had the Jack LaLanne show on the TV, so you, too, could get up and do some jumping jacks with him! I remember my Mom watching him faithfully!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV