Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:54 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
My wife and just finished TNG and Voyager and are just getting into DS9. EVERYONE says DS9 is the best, and right now it's not looking that way. They say to give it some time so we will. I think we were actually burnt out on it so we switched over to Mad Men which we're really enjoying.

I'd love to see a solid Star Trek series in the vein of TNG or Voyager.
The last season of DS9 was really intense and well worth the wait. It was full of passion and was like a Star Trek interstellar version of WWII.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 08:03 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
The last season of DS9 was really intense and well worth the wait. It was full of passion and was like a Star Trek interstellar version of WWII.
Thanks. I tried watching DS9 but just couldn't stay with it. My two son's hockey schedules the last 15 years kept me from watching as much TV as I would have liked so I'm getting caught up with these shows on Netflix now (youngest went off to college). I've made it through two seasons of SG SG1. Not as good at Trek but not bad. Now watching Enterprise into season 3.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:42 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times
There was such a big CG technology difference between the original (they really didn't have any CG then) and Next Generation. It would be great to see what they can do now.

Earth people were too perfect in the Next Generation, we don't believe in violence or greed... It would be great if they worked in some human issues, as I'm sure we will still have them in the future.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:33 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
Earth people were too perfect in the Next Generation, we don't believe in violence or greed... It would be great if they worked in some human issues, as I'm sure we will still have them in the future.
The utopianism was mostly Roddenberry. Once he no longer had much involvement with the Trek universe, it became much grittier.

Our technology has improved, but human beings haven't really changed all that much in the past 20,000 years. I suspect we won't be all that different of a species 500 years from now.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
LOL about SyFy - if they had a new Star Trek, probably by the third episode Triple H or The Miz would appear as a guest star!
Oh yeah. Star Trek--Lost in Space

Old 04-14-2012, 06:21 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm sure i've watched every episode on every Star Trek series a couple of dozen times. c'mon Hollywood How about something new..Or at least some form of Sci-Fi series with Aliens,new planets,starships,Space battles and lots of visual effects.
I'm afraid without Gene's genius, there really can't be such a thing.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:18 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The utopianism was mostly Roddenberry. Once he no longer had much involvement with the Trek universe, it became much grittier.

Our technology has improved, but human beings haven't really changed all that much in the past 20,000 years. I suspect we won't be all that different of a species 500 years from now.
Seems like Starfleet crew members don't have to worry about paying bills or their next meal because all they have to do is go to a replicator and order anything they want. I'm sure that cuts down on a lot of stress that leads to emotion and violence.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
My wife and just finished TNG and Voyager and are just getting into DS9. EVERYONE says DS9 is the best, and right now it's not looking that way. They say to give it some time so we will. I think we were actually burnt out on it so we switched over to Mad Men which we're really enjoying.

I'd love to see a solid Star Trek series in the vein of TNG or Voyager.
First couple of DS9 seasons were a bit ho hum but once they start getting the Dominion into the story line and start getting into warships to take on the enemy it gets really good,much more space and less of the station..

Old 04-15-2012, 06:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I'm afraid without Gene's genius, there really can't be such a thing.
I read a lot of Sci-Fi and some of the authors i read could do a damn good job of making a series similar to Star Trek
David Weber
Dan Simmons
Larry Niven
Robert Silverberg
Kevin J Anderson

Old 04-15-2012, 11:05 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
TNG for me.

Unfortunately it looks like we'll have nu-Trek. I think most of the fanbase identifies ST with the more recent series. Nu-Trek unfortunately eliminates them, and while it made a lot of money in theaters I don't think it created very many real fans at all while leaving a lot of real fans out in the cold.

So we've got that and maybe another 5-10 years before tv sci-fi shakes off the "poorly lit, overly angry" series like nu-Galactica and Stargate: Universe. Though the people behind SG: U did seem to respond to the fans complaints and improve things in the second season, but by that time they'd already lost most of the Stargate fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV