Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I would just like to see something where the woman is smart and the man is smart too. The whole thing where the woman is the greatest/smartest while the man is the dumbest and jealous just turns me off.
I would like to see this in the SAME show, men and women are smart in different ways and I would just enjoy seeing this.
How about "Castle"? There are smart men and smart women. There are no dummies on this show.

One thing I dislike about many modern sitcoms is that the man/husband/boyfriend is made to look foolish. But maybe that is a backlash from the time when the women in sitcoms ala "I Love Lucy" were the air heads.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
How about "Castle"? There are smart men and smart women. There are no dummies on this show.

One thing I dislike about many modern sitcoms is that the man/husband/boyfriend is made to look foolish. But maybe that is a backlash from the time when the women in sitcoms ala "I Love Lucy" were the air heads.
It's true, dumb/foolish men are sometimes used as a cheap comedic device, but there are also still many female characters portrayed as airheads, or totally vain shopaholics who only care about shoes, and spending all the household funds on shopping. The females caricatures tend to be noticed less because they have always been around, whereas the "dumb" man thing is relatively new, but it's really just equal opportunity lazy writing, not a specific attack on men.

I'm not interested in shows that use silly caricatures of either gender, and I don't know anyone who actually finds that funny. There are plenty of shows like Castle depicting smart men and smart women who respect each other, that's what I like to watch. Bones is like that too, they are both strong and intelligent in their own ways, and they learn from each other, it's just a bit of a twist that the man has the higher emotional/real world intelligence, and the woman is the "book genius" one who learns how to better interact with people from him, the supporting cast of men and women are all intelligent, yet flawed in different ways as well.

I never watch laugh track sitcoms so I don't know if smart men and women exist together in any of them, but they do in many dramas/dramadies. It's easy to focus on all the garbage on TV, but there are a number of good shows to be found, and cable channels are creating many of them.

Last edited by detshen; 04-23-2012 at 09:46 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 11:45 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
'Fairly Legal' airs at 9PM/8PM (CDT) on Fridays; the season premiere took place on March 16th, so you can catch the first 5 episodes of this 13-episode season on the USA Network websuite.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:37 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadal View Post
I recently retired & figured a handy & moderate price form of entertainment would be the many shows on TV.
I'm confused as to what is going on, here is a short list of shows that are out there.
Fairly Legal, In Plain Sight, Scandal The Good Life, Best Friends Forever, Subergatory, Nurse Jackie, The Closer, etc. etc.

Is this part of the feminization of America ?
Haven't heard from the OP in a while. How long has it been since you have watched tv? I'm a woman who has never watched any of those shows but am still curious why it is even mentioned. As someone who has worked in the cable industry, it's the sports channels that cost the big bucks. So you can still watch tons of male-dominated seventies-style private eye shows on the channels that play the oldies.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:42 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
I would just like to see something where the woman is smart and the man is smart too. The whole thing where the woman is the greatest/smartest while the man is the dumbest and jealous just turns me off.
I would like to see this in the SAME show, men and women are smart in different ways and I would just enjoy seeing this.

I agree, and I tend not to watch anything with that sort of stereotyping.
Probably why I lean towards old favorites like CSI and NCIS where everyone is smart and beautiful.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:11 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,379 times
My biggest problem with current tv programming is that tv execs and networks are pitching what they believe to be cutting edge programming.

The latest sitcoms that are labeled cutting edge are truly unwatchable.

Lets ditch the cutting edge campaign, and get to the basics of providing well written and acted tv shows. There is a huge market for well written sitcoms------let cable define what is cutting edge, and maybe the networks can stop pretending that anybody over the age of 40 is not important to them.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:04 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Yes, there are NO male leads anywhere Except, lets see, Justified, Suits, Supernatural, Mad Men, The Walking Dead, White Collar, Burn Notice, also the huge number of cop, and other shows where the men and women have equal billing. This thread is so ridiculous! There are plenty of strong women AND strong men on TV, I watch them all, but those that don't like seeing strong women can change the channel, but we aren't ever going back to the fifties, so I'd recommend learning to deal with strong women, they are on TV AND they are in reality. Watch old reruns if you can't handle women outside of the kitchen, there are plenty of channels showing those, so all this "boo hoo whining, women are taking over" is unnecessary, real life strong men have better things to do.
Who mentioned men? I'd just like to see more female lead personality diversity. Imagine, if you will, a female lead in a drama like a Columbo, for example. Not the greatest looking, not the greatest dresser, annoying as all get out, quirky...don't you think actresses would line up dying to play a female lead role like that?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:36 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Who mentioned men? I'd just like to see more female lead personality diversity. Imagine, if you will, a female lead in a drama like a Columbo, for example. Not the greatest looking, not the greatest dresser, annoying as all get out, quirky...don't you think actresses would line up dying to play a female lead role like that?
I read an interview with Kristen Schall where she talks about how most casting descriptions call for women to be beautiful. They want a beautiful heroin addict, a beautiful single mom, a beautiful convenience store clerk. There aren't a lot of options for an average-looking actress.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:39 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times
Quote:

Besides The Closer, Criminal Minds is one of my favorites. They have smart men and women and the character Garcia is not what most would call "beautiful" for Hollywood standards. Many strong male and female characters.

I give it two thumbs up!

Old 05-05-2012, 04:05 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
There's Kathy Bates in Harry's law, that's a small start, but it's something. I'd also like to see more interesting, not necessarily gorgeous women on TV. Another thing I want to see less of is 40 something men paired up with twenty something women. The 40-45 year old man with the 27 year old woman needs to be over, there a million of beautiful actresses in their mid to late thirties, early forties who should be pairing with these men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV