Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 07:10 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times

Advertisements

I am always amazed by the amount of The Weather Channel fanatics there are in the world. My question is a very tough one. I am trying to find a song title. They used to play it during the local forecast around 1990 and during the "Prime Time Guide" that was on The Weather Channel for a couple of years (diehards know exactly what I'm referring to). This song was also occasionally featured on "The George Michaels' Sports Machine". It starts out with a piano kind of slow, has a mellow part in the middle and ends with some really fast guitar licks. I'm sure that description helps about as much as a good stiff kick to the head, but I tried. It MAY be by the Rippingtons. It is kinda Rippingtonesque.

MY KINGDOM FOR THIS SONG TITLE!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,056 times
Default Funeral for a friend/Love lies bleeding

I think you mean the instrumental beginning to
Funeral for a friend/Love lies bleeding by Elton John

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI6IW--tQZ8"]YouTube - Elton John - Funeral For A Friend - Love Lies Bleeding[/URL]

Old 03-28-2008, 07:39 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Wow you really were into the Weather Channel
Do you remember Kevan Ramer,one of the meteorologists then? (I was a weather geek too)

Old 03-29-2008, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Afriend View Post
I think you mean the instrumental beginning to
Funeral for a friend/Love lies bleeding by Elton John

YouTube - Elton John - Funeral For A Friend - Love Lies Bleeding
It's definitely not Funeral for a Friend as I'm a big Elton John fan. If you remember TWC back in the late 80's early 90's, they would show this "Prime Time Guide" where they would list the shows on cable for the evening. One of the most heavily advertised movies at the time was "The Naked Gun". They would show Leslie Nielsen as umpire. The unique thing about this song is it started with a relaxing piano but ended with a hardcore guitar and just kind of stopped. The middle was very slow and soothing.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:15 AM

252 posts, read 390,598 times
Smile Steve Morse!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I am always amazed by the amount of The Weather Channel fanatics there are in the world. My question is a very tough one. I am trying to find a song title. They used to play it during the local forecast around 1990 and during the "Prime Time Guide" that was on The Weather Channel for a couple of years (diehards know exactly what I'm referring to). This song was also occasionally featured on "The George Michaels' Sports Machine". It starts out with a piano kind of slow, has a mellow part in the middle and ends with some really fast guitar licks. I'm sure that description helps about as much as a good stiff kick to the head, but I tried. It MAY be by the Rippingtons. It is kinda Rippingtonesque.

MY KINGDOM FOR THIS SONG TITLE!!
Hi, I've always wondered the same thing! I could say with 98% certainty that it is Steve Morse. I've been a fan of his since 1979! Now to figure out what album and what band he was with at the time--Dixie Dregs, The Dregs or the Steve Morse band--"High Tension Wires" is a great album as is "Dregs of the Eart" and "What If"...That guy Rocks!!

Old 03-29-2008, 03:21 AM

252 posts, read 390,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
It's definitely not Funeral for a Friend as I'm a big Elton John fan. If you remember TWC back in the late 80's early 90's, they would show this "Prime Time Guide" where they would list the shows on cable for the evening. One of the most heavily advertised movies at the time was "The Naked Gun". They would show Leslie Nielsen as umpire. The unique thing about this song is it started with a relaxing piano but ended with a hardcore guitar and just kind of stopped. The middle was very slow and soothing.
Try "Night Meets Light" from the album "Dregs of the Earth" And "Day 444" from the album "Unsung Heroes"--should be by artist "The Dregs"/aka Steve Morse. You should be able to download from Amazon--Let me know if we have our man!

Old 03-29-2008, 08:42 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Did you try going to the current Weather Channel website? They actually have a section in there where they now tell you what the music is. Maybe you could ask around the forums there.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:23 AM

Does anyone have links to the songs they are talking about? Actually, the song I am thinking about was apparently mostly on "Prime Time Tonight" and rarely on The Local Forecast. If you are a huge TWC fan, you undoubtedly remember Prime Time Tonight. I'll try one more time (kind of hard to sing in text!) it starts with a piano kind of somber, the middle was unique because it had a harpsichord, then it went into some sort of synthesizer and ended with a fast guitar and faded out. When it was on "Prime Time Tonight", the next song would play maybe three notes of a low piano and it would end.

Last edited by crbcrbrgv; 03-30-2008 at 11:42 AM..

Old 04-01-2010, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,060 times
I hate reviving an ancient thread, but I found this during a Google search.

crbcrbrgv, in case you were still looking for information on this, you might want to try the following pages from my site.

Local forecast music playlists for "Prime Time Tonight" / TWC Classics (http://www.twcclassics.com/music/local-forecast-playlists/prime-time-tonight/ - broken link)
Weather Channel filler segments / TWC Classics (http://www.twcclassics.com/video/filler.html - broken link)

The first link is a set of playlists of songs I've identified from the "Prime Time Tonight" playlists. The second contains three videos of said segment. Hope this helps!

Matt
twcclassics.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV