Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 04:32 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times

Advertisements

I saw the commercials for this show while I was in my hotel room (couldn't fast forward or DVR stuff cuz I was on vacation ). It looked somewhat entertaining in a white-trash kinda way. The sad part is, even if we think it's fake, or exaggerated ... it probably isn't. I've run across a lot of people who appear to be very much like the people I saw briefly on the commercials for this show. I'll probably have to watch it a couple times just to see the train wreck.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 05:50 PM

7,365 posts, read 5,479,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
I think the people on the American version are running a scam, copying things from the British show.
I've also found some info online that there are American gypsies who are claiming many of the people on the show aren't even real gypsies.
I believe this too. I wish TLC would stop marketing this show as a unique and secret society. It is not. It's white trash people acting freaky, stupid and breaking the law. Acting like morons in public places and beating on each other outside of a court house after a wedding would not be a cultural thing in my book. And I hate when they excuse their behavior as 'it's the Romney way'. I call B.S. on that.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:31 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,137,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
I believe this too. I wish TLC would stop marketing this show as a unique and secret society. It is not. It's white trash people acting freaky, stupid and breaking the law. Acting like morons in public places and beating on each other outside of a court house after a wedding would not be a cultural thing in my book. And I hate when they excuse their behavior as 'it's the Romney way'. I call B.S. on that.
I agree, it's as if they get tats that say "Gypsy Boy" on them, then that gives them a free reign on their deviate behavior????

Old 06-25-2012, 04:09 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
I disagree. Their behavior is entirely consistent with what people in Europe have experienced with their gypsies - there's still a tremendous prejudice against them there because of their "white trash" behavior. Yes, it's their culture with some negatives ..... but many of us use the word "gypsy" in a positive way because we secretly envy their free lifestyle.

I enjoy the show, more for the glimpse of their ways than for the weddings. I'm a guy and not usually interested in weddings, and I can't fathom spending thousands of dollars on something that will never be worn again. However I even love their gypsy dresses, so much more beautiful and enticing than the drab white uniform everyone else seems to love for being "restrained" and in "good taste".

Has it been cancelled?

Old 06-28-2012, 06:48 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
God, to me these people have no taste at all. They seem not to have much personal restraint on their emotions which is why most venues will not allow them to party there.

They are one step up from animals - no, my cat behaves better than they, in some cases.

There is going to be another gypsy program on, but not concerning weddings. I think it will be on the National Geographic Channel.

Some people use 'gypsy' as a euphemism for being a free spirit who travels wherever the wind blows him. They usually do not mean destructive and cheating low lives who prey on the rest of society.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:24 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times
It's a lot of "Big Fat Silliness" to me!

OTOH, how would you act if there was a camera on you and you thought you could make some money?

Old 07-02-2012, 03:31 PM

Yeah, they're laughing all the way to the bank.
Last night there were three installments on tv, back to back, which I had not seen.
I fell asleep.
The first episode was about female family members pretending to be upset because one of them was a stripper.
What else are they trained for?

Old 07-02-2012, 05:56 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
This show is so fun. I liked the part where they dolled themselves up for a brawl. This is the only wedding show that straight guys would ever be interested in.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:59 AM

These women are so tough looking and skinny. They remind me of women on a documentary about people taking drugs. They seem to have enough bucks to be doing that.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:04 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I disagree. Their behavior is entirely consistent with what people in Europe have experienced with their gypsies - there's still a tremendous prejudice against them there because of their "white trash" behavior. Yes, it's their culture with some negatives ..... but many of us use the word "gypsy" in a positive way because we secretly envy their free lifestyle.

I enjoy the show, more for the glimpse of their ways than for the weddings. I'm a guy and not usually interested in weddings, and I can't fathom spending thousands of dollars on something that will never be worn again. However I even love their gypsy dresses, so much more beautiful and enticing than the drab white uniform everyone else seems to love for being "restrained" and in "good taste".

Has it been cancelled?
Woof, I must tell you that the gypsies are not the only ones who spend "thousands of dollars" on a wedding dress. Ever watch Say Yes to the Dress? Those are brides from every part of the country and some come from abroad to purchase their gowns for The Big Day and pay what could possibly be a down payment on a house. And they aren't gypsies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV