Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 04:48 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times

Advertisements

I remember the first day of MTV, waiting for it to come on. The cable controller had a long wire that ran from the cable box on top of the TV, across the room to the controller on the coffee table. The controller had about 45 buttons on it (3 rows of 15), each with a designated channel.

Anyway, it was such a big day for me I remember it like it was yesterday. The blank screen suddenly had a picture on it, and the song was 'Video Killed The Radio Star'.

All those songs and artists mentioned were great. Some other songs they played a lot were

Black Coffee In Bed
Turning Japanese
She Blinded Me With Science
Songs from Blondie, The Cars, Phil Collins, Eddie Money, Van Halen, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 04:57 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I remember the first day of MTV, waiting for it to come on. The cable controller had a long wire that ran from the cable box on top of the TV, across the room to the controller on the coffee table. The controller had about 45 buttons on it (3 rows of 15), each with a designated channel.

Anyway, it was such a big day for me I remember it like it was yesterday. The blank screen suddenly had a picture on it, and the song was 'Video Killed The Radio Star'.

All those songs and artists mentioned were great. Some other songs they played a lot were

Black Coffee In Bed
Turning Japanese
She Blinded Me With Science
Songs from Blondie, The Cars, Phil Collins, Eddie Money, Van Halen, etc.
Black Coffee in Bed!!! Between that and The Boomtown Rats' (before Bob Geldof got all BandAid/LiveAid) "I dont Like Mondays". I swear it was in someone's contract that those two videos had to be played every hour.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:00 PM

335 posts, read 670,297 times
MTV was so different back then . It was about the music and the cool Vjays. Video Killed The Radio Star was the first video they played.

Back the it was so important to have a killer video for your new song.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2O13 View Post
Video Killed The Radio Star was the first video they played.
and Pat Benatar's "You Better Run" was the second...

Old 06-10-2013, 05:20 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Black Coffee in Bed!!! Between that and The Boomtown Rats' (before Bob Geldof got all BandAid/LiveAid) "I dont Like Mondays". I swear it was in someone's contract that those two videos had to be played every hour.
Yes! And Phil Collins 'In the Air Tonight' was played every other hour.

I dont think they had much of a choice though. There weren't that many videos to choose from.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:31 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
MTV was fun.

For the first few years the kids preferred Faerie Tale Theater on Showtime. LINK
I did too. (terrific list of guest stars)

Old 06-11-2013, 08:15 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,784 times
OH I remember being a kid in the 80's and was so excited when my parents finally got satelite. Where we lived in the boonies, we could not get cable. So finally got that giant dish, and I got some MTV for a little while (until they - my parents - canceled it!) I remember Prince videos a lot... Dire Straits, Sting... I didn't get it till like, 1985 I think. It was great though. I don't remember much in the way of shows at all. I do remember later a game show or something. But it was a lot of videos, not filled with stupid shows. I remember the metal shows, Headbangers ball and stuff like that too.

Later in the early 90's, my grandma had cable so she'd record a whole VHS tape in the middle of the night of nothing but 6 hours straight of videos for me, it was great. U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc - where I first saw Nirvana, too. Someone mentioned M2 - that became my favorite once MTV became more Pop/TV show type of channel. M2 seemed to be more alternative, too, which became my taste. I also remember Much Music, I liked that some too. Now, there's no music video channels, least not on my DirecTV.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:23 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
It was music videos 24/7. Not this BS on there now

Old 06-11-2013, 10:52 PM

500 posts, read 748,303 times
I was 21 when I first saw MTV in 1983 (yes, I am old!) and my friends and I loved it! We used it as background at parties or just hung out and watched. One of the things that struck me about it then, was how different the ads were than what you would see on 'regular' television - younger, hipper, done in the MTV style. I think MTV was one of the first channels that attracted ads targeted for a narrow audience.

I don't think it can understated how it influenced all of television, which sought to become more and more visually creative. The creator of Miami Vice said he thought of the show in two words, 'MTV cops'.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:51 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,988 times
I don't remember the first video I saw on MTV but I do remember my family sitting around the TV waiting for the premiere of "Thriller"...that was a huge event and everyone talked about it in school the next day.

80's music was and still is the bomb!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV