Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 01:07 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
They have always canceled shows with regard to ratings. It makes no sense not to. Can't spend money on things if no one is watching.
No, Netflix was were some shows went to get resolution. And people were watching, maybe not as many as they wanted but the least they could do is provide a resolution and then cancel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 03:12 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
The following shows have just been dumped from the primetime schedule to make room for new Fall pilots.
First, they weren't *just* dumped. They were cancelled over the last few months. That's what we've been discussing over the last 1400 posts.

They were cancelled (or not renewed) because the ratings aren't what the network wanted, and they are making a calculated gamble that whatever takes its place will do better. Sometimes they win, sometimes not.

For some networks, they need the room. CBS et al have a limited prime-time schedule, so yes, every new one requires something to give. Others have plenty of "room". For example, if USA wants to add a new show, and really doesn't want to cancel anything, they just find a slot and add it. That slot might have had a rerun or other syndicated show currently in it.

As for Netflix, they really really don't have to make room. Remember, they're streaming, so unlimited room. They just cancel what doesn't work for them.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:15 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
No, Netflix was were some shows went to get resolution. And people were watching, maybe not as many as they wanted but the least they could do is provide a resolution and then cancel.
Netflix picked up a handful of shows that were canceled because their model fit the number of viewers. That was the exception not the rule.

We would all love closure but they arent going to keep a show that no one is watching simply because the few that watch it want it. They are a hugely profitable company but throwing good money after will put an end to that quickly.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:41 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I havent been able to get through half an episode of a sitcom without cringing and diving for the remote in probably a decade. I didn't laugh out loud at DD but I did chuckle occasionally and it was definitely watchable. I don't understand.
I have a weird mind and sense of humor. I just like it. It works for me. While the masses like other things I never find funny, which I don't understand, I am left with nothing much to watch, or i have to endure bloody shows like Preacher. At least that one has action and humor. But it is gross.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:02 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,694,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
First, they weren't *just* dumped. They were cancelled over the last few months. That's what we've been discussing over the last 1400 posts.

They were cancelled (or not renewed) because the ratings aren't what the network wanted, and they are making a calculated gamble that whatever takes its place will do better. Sometimes they win, sometimes not.

For some networks, they need the room. CBS et al have a limited prime-time schedule, so yes, every new one requires something to give. Others have plenty of "room". For example, if USA wants to add a new show, and really doesn't want to cancel anything, they just find a slot and add it. That slot might have had a rerun or other syndicated show currently in it.

As for Netflix, they really really don't have to make room. Remember, they're streaming, so unlimited room. They just cancel what doesn't work for them.
Relax, I didn't put in any editorial thought. Just copied it straight from here.
https://www.yahoo.com/style/20-tv-sh...212500834.html

I thought there was value in the list.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:31 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
They have always canceled shows with regard to ratings. It makes no sense not to.
I disagree. Prior to May 24, they had only canceled ten series and had 151 series in various states, either upcoming, airing, returning soon, or on hiatus. Many of those series on hiatus were unheralded by viewers. It has been clear to me that Netflix has been throwing up series after series without much regard to canceling those that fared poorly. That seems to be changing.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:37 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I disagree. Prior to May 24, they had only canceled ten series and had 151 series in various states, either upcoming, airing, returning soon, or on hiatus. Many of those series on hiatus were unheralded by viewers. It has been clear to me that Netflix has been throwing up series after series without much regard to canceling those that fared poorly. That seems to be changing.
Exactly!

Old 06-28-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Agree to disagree. I think now you are starting to see it reported more because they have been hammered about their viewership. You can find countless 1 season and done Netflix originals. The difference is that they didnt have headline grabbing casts like Sense8* (LGBT) or The Get Down (diversity) or Girlboss (about a woman created by a woman) and no one was really putting their viewership under a microscope.

*Sense8 also had insane production costs.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:13 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Quote:
I disagree. Prior to May 24, they had only canceled ten series...
You can find countless 1 season and done Netflix originals.
This is simply not a true statement. The number wasn't "countless". I counted. The number was 10. It's now 14. Countable. They aren't one and done because you feel they are; they aren't one and done until Netflix cancels the series. And Netflix hasn't cancelled 147 series. And that was my point. If your disagreement was contingent on your assumption that the number of canceled series was countless, then you should reconsider on that basis alone.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
This is simply not a true statement. The number wasn't "countless". I counted. The number was 10. It's now 14. Countable. They aren't one and done because you feel they are; they aren't one and done until Netflix cancels the series. And Netflix hasn't cancelled 147 series. And that was my point. If your disagreement was contingent on your assumption that the number of canceled series was countless, then you should reconsider on that basis alone.
Fine it is countable since we're hanging on that word. It doesnt change the point. The point is that their renewal cancellation has always been contingent on number of viewers. How else do you gauge the success or failure of a show? How else do you justify production costs for a show? It is just getting the press now when it didnt before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV