U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 04:56 PM

14,294 posts, read 20,539,012 times

Advertisements

I hate it when they start shows that have an open storyline and don't finish them before cancelling! I hope Missing wraps up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 05:33 PM

19,825 posts, read 10,542,345 times
Awake is the best new show to come out in years and of course they have to cater to the moronic masses in the country who want to watch reality garbage TV.

The dumbing down of America is really depressing. I wish they would start a channel for smart people. If you can't answer a daily question you are locked out.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:50 PM

462 posts, read 518,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Awake is the best new show to come out in years and of course they have to cater to the moronic masses in the country who want to watch reality garbage TV.

The dumbing down of America is really depressing. I wish they would start a channel for smart people. If you can't answer a daily question you are locked out.
I like it but then again I am considered intelligent and I like to be challenged unlike the masses that want to be spoon fed moronic reality (Jersey Shore) shows. Even shows like American (ugh) Idol, The Voice, and Dance with the Stars are for the thinking-challenged in my opinion.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:58 PM

5,677 posts, read 2,788,030 times
Quote:
I hate it when they start shows that have an open storyline and don't finish them before cancelling! I hope Missing wraps up!
The network bean-counters can't decide what to keep and what to toss until after most of the TV season is over. They watch all the ratings (esp. the season-ending eps, since they typically air in Sweeps) and THEN announce their decision. Of course, in order for a show like GCB (multi-plot soap opera) to "wrap up" they would have to know they've been cancelled well ahead, since the writers have to turn in scripts well before they are filmed, and the filmed eps don't get on the air until some time after that. The writers of some of these shows purposely write juicy cliffhangers as a "dare" to the networks, saying "look at this great stuff! You couldn't possibly cancel us and leave THAT plot hanging." That usually doesn't work, since the bean-counters probably don't even WATCH the shows. They just analyze ratings and demos. The writers also would probably not willingly write the show as having wrapped up all stories ("just in case"), because if the show gets renewed, then they have nothing to do the next season!

Old 05-12-2012, 08:19 PM

4,896 posts, read 2,955,461 times
Quote:
Never heard of History channel or Travel channel? Those were great until producers put garbage shows on those channels.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 3 days ago)

14,418 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
The network bean-counters can't decide what to keep and what to toss until after most of the TV season is over. They watch all the ratings (esp. the season-ending eps, since they typically air in Sweeps) and THEN announce their decision. Of course, in order for a show like GCB (multi-plot soap opera) to "wrap up" they would have to know they've been cancelled well ahead, since the writers have to turn in scripts well before they are filmed, and the filmed eps don't get on the air until some time after that. The writers of some of these shows purposely write juicy cliffhangers as a "dare" to the networks, saying "look at this great stuff! You couldn't possibly cancel us and leave THAT plot hanging." That usually doesn't work, since the bean-counters probably don't even WATCH the shows. They just analyze ratings and demos. The writers also would probably not willingly write the show as having wrapped up all stories ("just in case"), because if the show gets renewed, then they have nothing to do the next season!
Jericho, season one, ended with Jake saying Fire and the people of Jericho opening fire on the people of the neighboring town, ready to take them over. How could we not start sending peanuts???

In that case, they had every reason to expect one, as the network was heavily hinting. Now, netflix is heavily interested and counting views and letters and emails to fund and CBS produce season three. I think while the producers might not have made it so dramatic, if they'd known, that it was really glavanized the fans who were already calling and writing.

I too really hope Missing ends the current story. Leave what she and her son do after open, fine, but no does he live or die.... Sad thing is its one of the only new shows I bothered to watch aside from givens like Grimm. So netflix will get lots of attention following the last shows of the season.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:54 AM

665 posts, read 487,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The last episode of Missing airs May 17. Don't know if the show will tie up loose ends or not.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:12 AM

828 posts, read 1,402,785 times
I knew Harry's Law would be cancelled. I didn't like the way they changed it from the little show store to a bigger law firm. It lost much of the little people's feeling.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:28 AM

469 posts, read 729,155 times
Pan Am was a joke.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:44 AM

893 posts, read 1,427,169 times
Quote:

couldn't agree more. there's hardly space anymore for actual stimulating television with all the reality crap out there now. seems it takes up 89% of the available options. cant believe "pawn stars" continually gets some of cable's highest ratings. but as long as people watch, they'll keep inventing others and copy cat shows. the risk/reward is evidently "no-brainer" too with most of them inexpensive to produce for the ratings they get. and many are not really "reality" anymore since a lot of the action shown is actually scripted. I'm always reminded of the movie "network" which was a hilarious parody of network tv decades ago, but funny as hell and seems to be more true today than ever before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or