Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 05:30 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times

Advertisements

Since they keep doing it the Nielsen way, we are lucky anything good is ever on. I liked 666 Park Avenue. It was finally picking up steam with the going back in time with the secret stairway,etc. I like the supernatural theme of it.
It seems most networks are going the "reality" route with less and less good quality programs. Or sitcoms that I never watch. Hate canned laughter, even worse is when they laugh when it's not funny.
Even Animal Planet went down the toilet. Instead of showing series like "Meerkat Manor" which my cats always loved watching, they now show stupid shows like people with no teeth wrangling alligators and some other not worth watching series. Soon, there will literally be nothing on TV, so make sure you have a lot of books on hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 05:39 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Since they keep doing it the Nielsen way, we are lucky anything good is ever on. I liked 666 Park Avenue. It was finally picking up steam with the going back in time with the secret stairway,etc. I like the supernatural theme of it.
It seems most networks are going the "reality" route with less and less good quality programs. Or sitcoms that I never watch. Hate canned laughter, even worse is when they laugh when it's not funny.
Even Animal Planet went down the toilet. Instead of showing series like "Meerkat Manor" which my cats always loved watching, they now show stupid shows like people with no teeth wrangling alligators and some other not worth watching series. Soon, there will literally be nothing on TV, so make sure you have a lot of books on hand.
yeah no kidding good thing I like to read huh ? my husband does not read so I dont know what he is going to do ...poor thing .LOL .

Old 12-26-2012, 11:28 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
Post #11 on this thread has the link to the FB page I mentioned earlier trying to save 666 Park Avenue. Besides low ratings and a slow start, the One Million Moms went on a huge "boycott the sponsors" and started a cancelling campaign to get the Devil's Number show off the air. ABC said it would show the remaining 4 episodes in January, but they've now postponed them to this summer. Instead, ABC has said a show called "Red Widow" will be on as a replacement, as well as a couple of comedies (with canned laughter, I'm sure) in that timespot.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:37 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Post #11 on this thread has the link to the FB page I mentioned earlier trying to save 666 Park Avenue. Besides low ratings and a slow start, the One Million Moms went on a huge "boycott the sponsors" and started a cancelling campaign to get the Devil's Number show off the air. ABC said it would show the remaining 4 episodes in January, but they've now postponed them to this summer. Instead, ABC has said a show called "Red Widow" will be on as a replacement, as well as a couple of comedies (with canned laughter, I'm sure) in that timespot.
While I didnt want 666 to be cancelled and I amped for Red Widow. Looks awesome.

For those that havent seen the preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKef_4ci8Ag

Old 12-27-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
While I didnt want 666 to be cancelled and I amped for Red Widow. Looks awesome.

For those that havent seen the preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKef_4ci8Ag
The comments on this clip weren't very kind. I don't like this kind of show, so I'm super disappointed that ABC cancelled 666 for this...not my cup of tea at all.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
I wonder how many shows are cancelled that could of been hits if they were given a chance to develop.
jericho was 49# in ratings, second in its time slot(dancing with the stars was #1), better ratings than How I Met Your Mother (same network same slot ranking, but had less viewers #62 overall), Bones(directly competed with), Law and Order (#59), Prison Break(#61) and many other shows that got renewed, like 2 of the Law and Orders.

and Big Band theory came in 3rd in its time slop, only averaging a little over 8 million viewers.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
jericho was 49# in ratings, second in its time slot(dancing with the stars was #1), better ratings than How I Met Your Mother (same network same slot ranking, but had less viewers #62 overall), Bones(directly competed with), Law and Order (#59), Prison Break(#61) and many other shows that got renewed, like 2 of the Law and Orders.

and Big Band theory came in 3rd in its time slop, only averaging a little over 8 million viewers.
I dont have the numbers in front of me but if the vast majority of that 8mil for Big Bang Theory was in the 18-49 demo that it is huge hit.

That said, I firmly believe many shows benefit from "right place right time". A show may not be a hit right away but maybe the network doesnt have another comedy to take its place so they let it run for a bit. It then takes off and becomes a ratings hit. Could also be the relationship between the show runner and the network. That could give the show a little leeway or have the plu pulled earlier than most. Point being there are a lot of factors.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:37 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Well this is disappointing. I am sure the One million Moms should be really proud that they succeeded in knocking off a quality program and replaced it with a show about a woman forced to continue her husbands business involving drugs. Plus the children play with guns, that is so totally wholesome, right? I am going to boycott the One million Moms.
And I will not be watching Red Widow. Not my kind of series.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:07 PM

One Million Moms is more concerned with an agenda to worry about any aftermath of said agenda

Old 12-29-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Well this is disappointing. I am sure the One million Moms should be really proud that they succeeded in knocking off a quality program and replaced it with a show about a woman forced to continue her husbands business involving drugs. Plus the children play with guns, that is so totally wholesome, right? I am going to boycott the One million Moms.
And I will not be watching Red Widow. Not my kind of series.
Red Widow doesn't look like my kind of show...not really interested in that genre...but it'll be interesting to see if any boycott effort goes on. I wonder what their criteria is for boycotting shows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV