Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 07:59 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Bob wasn't, technically, the original host of TPIR and Christopher Reeve wasn't the original Superman. Those would be Bill Cullen and George Reeve... And as far as Superman goes, there might have been someone before that.. And, certainly, you could argue the Bill Cullen thing, as it wasn't really "TPIR" that we know.

I don't think anyone would argue that Johnny Carson, while not the original host of the Tonight Show, was likely the best at it.

So, replacements can be found that are as good or better than the originals.. But, yeah, I think Drew Carey was about as wrong a choice as could have been made and I don't know that you could find someone better than Bob for TPIR.
There was no replacement better than Bob which is why they should have ended it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,518 times
There is a huge problem with the audience on The Price is Right! Its because they can't participate. I have a great solution which would be a little modification but would bring the whole audience into participation. If you change the focus on how the showcase showdown is set up and utilized with the audience it would tremendously improve audience participation and greatly increase the happiness of the audience at home. Here's how it works----When the six contestants have done with their game and won or lost their prizes----there has not yet been spinning of the wheel----all of the audience members have received a number when entering the studio----George Grey draws 6 numbers from a hat and the members of the audience whose numbers they are come on down and line up at the wheel. Same rules apply in spinning the wheel. Two biggest winners or highest numbers go to the showcase showdown, with the highest number being first to bid or pass. The previous contestants will have given their numbers to Drew and do not participate in the showcase showdown. This will bring far more hope to the audience that they may be able to participate in The Price is Right Show and truly increase both studio audience and home audience enjoyment. I believe this idea which is my personally thought out modification will vastly improve The Price is Right Game Show. I hope you will pay me for my idea, sent to you on Feb.10, 2017 Sincerely, Lee Clark [email]email---zazz7zazz@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 02-10-2017, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,518 times
Hope you will forward this message to Drew Carey, Thanks. Lee Clark

Old 02-11-2017, 03:21 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather
I can't bare to watch it.
Its disgusting....I dont watch it either.....

Nope. That show died when Bob left

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey
Too much money to lose. It has been #1 in that time slot for 25 years plus so CBS not going to let the cash cow get away at all..
I doubt its #1 anymore!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre
I never liked Bob Barker to begin with. Another poster said he was condescending to the contestants. I agree. He would say in a fake, whiny, condescending tone "Oooooh I'm sooooo sorry" (if they lost.) (gag)
At least BOB has compassion.... DREW CAREY IS COLD AND STERILE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18
Bob wasn't, technically, the original host of TPIR and Christopher Reeve wasn't the original Superman. Those would be Bill Cullen and George Reeve...
No but George Reeve and Bill Cullen WERE GOOD ALSO!!!!!

Those shows went from GOOD TO GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

After the 80s alot of people started turning into re-programmed robots and couldnt think for themselves,etc.......

Last edited by Dude111; 02-11-2017 at 03:35 AM..

Old 02-12-2017, 04:16 PM

894 posts, read 586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
It involved more than Diane. Read the link below.

Bob Barker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Whoa! I had no idea that Bob Barker had that many lawsuits & issues! Thanks for the link.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:18 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
I like Drew Carey, so I like him as host of the show. I never watched much with Bob Barker, and never thought to tape it; I do now.

What's not to like? Cash, cars...happy people rooting for each other. I'm not a fan of celebrity intrusions into every show, but they're doing it this week. The celeb stays for the entire show and gets the cash value for charity of all contestants' winnings. Jack Black was a lot of fun, and whoever was on yesterday (don't remember and didn't recognize him) sent the young women to the moon lol. Haven't seen today's yet.

I do have to say that Carey's contractual homage to Bob Barker's cause (get your pets spayed or neutered) seems perfunctory. I'm not even sure he's an animal-lover and, if he is, it doesn't show.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:19 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
I guess I am the only one who feels this way, you all seem to love Bob Barker so much... But IMHO he is a has been - who is also a never was. I don't see why so many fall all over him gushing. Com'on, he was a game show host. He didn't split the atom, nor was he in any other way really entertaining.

As for Drew Carey, he has been the host of TPIR for ten years now. It seems to me it is time he starts acting like it is HIS show and that he is not some long term stand in for BB.

"Please remember to Spay or Neuter your pets." Isn't that a BB tag line? A BB cause?

Now I must admit that I only see the show from time to time, but I seem to remember a show or two where Drew dressed like BB and did a whole homage show. Does this happen often? Is there something in the contract for the show that Drew must try to imitate Bob as much as possible?

This is the main problem with TPIR; as long at they tie the host to a has been that by now many viewers don't even know, it will always be boring. Time to let Drew lose to run the show as he likes. His show "The Drew Carey Show" was funny and had a huge fan base, they should bring in some of Drew's comedy style and let BB era sink to the bottom of the Ocean - just like Jack did in "Titantic."

Go find Mimi Bobeck and let her replace one (or two) of the models for a few shows. Yes, they are beautiful women, but the show needs an injection of wacky and fun.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:40 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
I think with Drew Carey, it has actually brought in a younger crowd to the show. When it was Bob, it seemed like all the contestants were already one foot in the grave.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:27 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
I havent watched it since Drew took over,I really cant stand it............

I miss Bob!!!!!!!

Old 03-31-2017, 02:55 AM

939 posts, read 788,187 times
At first I didn't even like the idea of him hosting, after all, Barker had achieved the devoted fan base and clout of Johnny Carson, but I made my peace with it.

No matter who they picked, he was going to get compared to Barker, especially if they tried to replace him with someone who was similar in demeanor and appearance, so they went in the other direction and it seems to work.

Heck, Dick York was only on Bewitched from (1964–1969) and people threw a fit when he was replaced.

Carey's younger, quick-witted, funny, and I like the fact that they are finally using women models that are at least a little more visually in line with the majority of the female population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV