U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-02-2011, 09:47 AM

12,171 posts, read 6,287,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
What was that? I had to fast forward a lot.

What was what, Gies???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-02-2011, 12:55 PM

313 posts, read 624,980 times
Agree with the OPs, that was horrible. I liked the songs, but not the show - I thought it was too contrived and think they should have kept the story more real, maybe where Callie lost her baby. And the singing added nothing to the story. Of course, I'm sure the next few episodes will deal with the baby's trauma.

I have watched GA since the beginning and I think they're running out of story lines, unless the characters all switch chairs and they start again--and that will be incredibly boring. It may be time to start thinking about an ending before the show becomes too predictable--and it's gaining ground on that already.

Unread 04-02-2011, 01:53 PM

7,117 posts, read 3,858,952 times
It would have been an amazing episode if the only time there was singing was when we knew Callie was "dreaming", which would make sense for her to imagine all her conversations in songs. But all the singing outside of Callie's mind was utterly ridiculous. And they should never have had Owen's character sing. He sucked, and every time his singing voice started, it took me totally out of the story.

I'm actually disappointed that Callie apparently hasn't suffered any brain damage. It's completely unrealistic that she retained any immediate-term memory. That pretty much never happens. Long-term memory may stay intact, but in nearly all cases, the person doesn't remember the time immediately prior to and including their injury. My cousin lost an entire year's memory when she had her brain injury. Gabby Giffords doesn't remember her shooting.

And not only does Callie remember immediate events, she hasn't lost speech, either. Is she going to have suffered any repercussions from such a traumatic brain injury? Not that I want her to, mind, but it's utterly absurd if she doesn't.

Unread 04-02-2011, 03:42 PM

520 posts, read 364,039 times
I didn't like it at all, in fact it was a serious story line and I couldn't help but laugh. I remember went Izzy was in a coma I was crying and really felt for all.

Unread 04-02-2011, 06:52 PM

2,616 posts, read 1,786,922 times
That makes sense. They probably went too far with the very serious injuries in the first place, then went too far in the opposite direction, with her quickie recovery. She should be on ventilation and in really critical condition for quite a while! But if it means the musical stuff is really over and done with, I'm, going to go along with the 'miracle'.

Unread 04-02-2011, 11:00 PM

13,859 posts, read 11,860,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
It would have been an amazing episode if the only time there was singing was when we knew Callie was "dreaming", which would make sense for her to imagine all her conversations in songs. But all the singing outside of Callie's mind was utterly ridiculous. And they should never have had Owen's character sing. He sucked, and every time his singing voice started, it took me totally out of the story.
I totally agree. Although her seeing Owen singing to her, when she was being wheeled in, worked for me okay because it captured the kind of disoriented quality of being wheeled in after a traumatic accident fairly well. (I didn't imagine anyone singing, but I think I heard lines from plays and saw writing that wasn't there) It wasn't so much about seeing Owen sing, like the later stuff, as her reacting to thinking he's singing.

I was going with it when it was like that. Like her singing the theme's lines "nobody knows where they might end up", as she's splayed out on the hood, was nicely chilling. I think if it had stuck like that, snippets of songs and songs limited to her vantage point, it wouldn't have thrown me off. It did throw me off though and I kind of quit it halfway in to watch Parks and Recreation. (An old one, but I've only recently gotten pretty into that show so it was new to me)

Quote:
I'm actually disappointed that Callie apparently hasn't suffered any brain damage. It's completely unrealistic that she retained any immediate-term memory. That pretty much never happens. Long-term memory may stay intact, but in nearly all cases, the person doesn't remember the time immediately prior to and including their injury. My cousin lost an entire year's memory when she had her brain injury. Gabby Giffords doesn't remember her shooting.

And not only does Callie remember immediate events, she hasn't lost speech, either. Is she going to have suffered any repercussions from such a traumatic brain injury? Not that I want her to, mind, but it's utterly absurd if she doesn't.
Yeah, but that's Grey's. Remember way back when Meredith was essentially dead for an extended period of time, but had no lasting physical or brain damage at all? I mean I thought that was pretty out there to the point I think it was part of why I quit watching for a couple years.

At least what I saw of this Callie was speaking, if incoherently, when she was wheeled in. Is that even possible? I don't know, but I think maybe. At least I've heard of cases where people are damaged much less than one would expect. Although you're right that her memory of events near the accident should probably be, at the very least, hazy and compromised. More likely just absent.

Unread 04-04-2011, 10:09 AM

313 posts, read 624,980 times
Quote:

Totally agree, it was just too much "over the rainbow" for me! The story was just way too sugar-coated. The show is based on medical events and stories, and cases like Callie's just don't fit--even if it was wrapped in a pretty ribbon & bow. Seriously.....stay real for crying out loud!

Unread 04-06-2011, 06:20 AM

4,885 posts, read 6,771,394 times
I hated it! If I want to watch a show with singing, I'll watch Glee. No more musical episodes of Grey's please!

Unread 04-06-2011, 09:40 AM

5,740 posts, read 5,524,098 times
My god, that was horrible. That episode could have been good too.

Unread 04-06-2011, 05:04 PM

15,387 posts, read 20,499,736 times
Guess i'm wierd.......I loved every bit of it.....
It perfectly captured the cacophony of a trauma unit on high emergency and working on someone that they know....It captured it in a somewhat differant manner but it still captured it.....

Seems like the ony one that didnt sing was Sandra Oh....which is probably good....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV