Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times

Advertisements

I miss it too. I have all 7 seasons on DVD. I liked the first 4 the best. After Luke's daughter entered the picture, I lost interest. I loved Luke & Lorelai together.

I miss the Stars Hollow quirky characters. And as BTL stated, Hart of Dixie is most like GG as far as current shows. I like that show too--just not as much as GG.

ASP had created a new show on ABC Family called Bunheads or something like that. It looks like a show about ballerinas/dancers. I might check it out but I doubt it will hold my interest like GG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
LOL I must have been a script writer in a previous life because now I'm on a re-write roll. Since Debsi mentioned how annoyed she was by Lorelie & Chris' breakup I've realized she's right. Who in their right mind ends a marriage because one person writes a letter to support a friend's child custody case? Weak writing! So let's rewrite that too.

Here's how I'd write the breakup:

1. In Paris, they're drunk and not thinking straight due to jet lag. Chris makes a joke about getting married, Lorelie (who regularly does dumb things when she's drunk) doesn't realize it's a joke and says yes--Chris realizes this might be the only way to get her to agree to a wedding. He also thinks it's a frickin' hilarious joke because you can't just get married in Paris on a weekend trip without so much as a wedding license. So he starts staging this fake wedding, all the while convinced Lorelie will catch on and call a halt to it, and it'll just be a big gag they laugh about in years to come. But she never sees through it. Why? Because she wants to hang onto her 13-year-old-girl fantasies so she just turns her brain off and ignores her common sense. So they go through with the fake ceremony. (We learn a lot of this later when the truth about the wedding is revealed. We also learn that as he says "I do" Christopher thought to himself "What have I done...")

2. Emily sees through it, but even though she's angry about it she agrees to go along with it because Christopher has "good breeding" and she wants a grandchild with good genes and a father with money who can provide for her (after all they can't keep putting their grandkids through school).

3. After the return from Paris, Emily blackmails Christopher into agreeing to have a legal wedding and to start a family. Of course, this "legal" wedding will have to be staged as a re-enactment since Lorelie still has not figured it out. This explains why Emily pushes the re-enactment so much... she knows they have to hurry because once Lorelie starts thinking about her "wedding" in Paris she'll realize she's not married at all and will call the whole thing off.

4. Complications arise as they try to stage the legal wedding without Lorelie catching on. When they try to get her to sign the license she finally figures out that something's up and Christopher confesses. This leads to a very interesting discussion, in which Lorelie realizes she has to let go of her little girl fantasies, and she also realizes she can't be married to someone who would lie to her about a major thing like that, especially since Chris was in cahoots with her mother! Now those would be believable reasons to get a divorce. Chris' defense would be that he had to do something so extreme because Lorelie sabotages every wedding she plans. That would be a wake-up call for her, too.

After the initial anger wears off, Lorelie and Chris have the first adult conversation of their life. No witty banter, just real feelings. It's a civil conversation, since they realize they've both been foolish. They part as friends.

5. Emily has a wake up call, too. The longer the wedding planning proceeds the more she can't hide from the fact that it's scummy to trick her daughter this way, and does she really want her daughter to be married to a man who would do such a thing. She also realizes her attempt at tricking her daughter has backfired and led to a divorce and her hopes of getting the two of them together are finished. This is a wake up call for Emily to stop meddling and results in a healthy adult conversation between the two women where they learn to respect each other and start a much better relationship.

6. When Lorelie tells Luke about the end of her marriage she tells him what an ass she's been and how stupid she was to believe some of her little girl fantasies about marriage. Luke tells her not to be so hard on herself, after all he's been an even bigger ass. I know they had an apology scene, but it needed to be more. They needed to face up to how stupid they both had become and have a conversation strong enough that they would stop being that way from that point on.

7. The episodes where they re-establish their friendship were fine, but after Lorelie serenades Luke they need to get back together. That wussy scene in the diner the next morning was more bad writing. At this point in their relationship, it's time for no more games, no more misunderstandings. That stopped being funny--the writers should have just put them together at that point.

Last edited by Caladium; 05-22-2012 at 12:05 PM..

Old 05-22-2012, 01:37 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
To quote George Costanza: "I say this from an unbroken record of male heterosexuality..."

The Gilmore Girls was one of the best TV shows ever. Loved it.

That being said, it was never the same after Palladino and team left.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:40 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,130 times
Haha, love this show as well! Although, it needed to be said, Alexis Bledel cannot act to save her life -- strangely I did not care.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:46 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
I had the feeling that they show changed writers at some point in the middle, because the characters weren't as good after that. For one thing, they stuck Rory with that fairly air-headed snobby guy, which was a terrible match, personality-wise. It seemed forced. I was always rooting for Rory to find a better guy. And I can't imagine why they decided to kind of give Luke the ax. I suppose they thought it would be an interesting plot twist to bring Christopher back.

yeah, Max was interesting. Whatever happened to Max, I don't remember.

I see no reason why the show couldn't have followed Rory on her first job after graduation, and continued the story. They could have centered the show on Rory after that, it could've been great.

The best show I'd seen in decades, really. Very sharp, intelligent, hip, quirky and good for both teens and their parents--very cool. Thanks for this thread, OP.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:18 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,613 times
Absolutely loved that show myself. Rory was the girl you actually WANTED to be friends with (unlike what you see in most girl characters on other tv shows), and Lorelai was the kind of mom you wanted, or mom to be friends with. Loved their bond. Loved the guys Lorelai dated. Not so much the guys Rory dated, but I did develop a crush on ... don't even remember his name in the show... the blond guy that broke her heart in the last season. Or she broke his heart. don't remember. Would love for a new show like this to come out, or for a movie reunion.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:55 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I miss it too. I have all 7 seasons on DVD. I liked the first 4 the best. After Luke's daughter entered the picture, I lost interest. I loved Luke & Lorelai together.
I thought the daughter character was really interesting, though. I don't see why Luke and Lorelai couldn't have continued with the daughter in the picture.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:19 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,257,207 times
Default Hart of Dixie/Gilmore Girls Town Square

I also really like Hart of Dixie. I mentioned in another thread (I don't remember which) that the town square on Hart of Dixie looks just like the one on Gilmore Girls. I was expecting to see Kurt, Miss Patti, Taylor and others from Gilmore Girls walking around on Hart of Dixie - LOL.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:25 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
I also really like Hart of Dixie. I mentioned in another thread (I don't remember which) that the town square on Hart of Dixie looks just like the one on Gilmore Girls. I was expecting to see Kurt, Miss Patti, Taylor and others from Gilmore Girls walking around on Hart of Dixie - LOL.
I'm hearing all good things about Hart of Dixie. I'm going to have to finally watch it and give it a chance.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:32 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I thought the daughter character was really interesting, though. I don't see why Luke and Lorelai couldn't have continued with the daughter in the picture.
I liked her too. It was a dopey plot but at least they cast a striking young actress who made the role interesting. I hope we see her on other shows.

It's interesting how many of the actors from GG have gotten plum parts in other shows. The two I'm still hoping to see recast were the women who played Gypsy and Mrs. Kim. I thought both of them were very good actresses. The girl who played Lane and the various members of her band were also very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV