Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:59 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,293,805 times

Advertisements

I lovedlovedloved this show! I am totally putting the series on my Amazon wish list now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,859,290 times
Do people actually talk to each other the way Rory and Lorelai did to one another? The best part of the show was watching them get in their quick little quips.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:51 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,965,377 times
I think some people talk like this - not a whole town though. They were all pretty clever.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:31 PM

13,032 posts, read 24,591,266 times
I loved "Gilmore Girls" primarily because Lorelei was such an attractive character (as a straight woman I mean from a character perspective though she is one seriously gorgeous and sexy woman).

She was the kind of woman I would want as a friend and I don't tend to like women much... witty, super sharp, independent but also deeply vulnerable and kind. Rory was IMO only a pale imitation of Her Mother. And always in her shadow so to speak.

But also the "minor" characters were also well drawn and I love people like Babette, Kirk, Taylor , Miss Patty, Mrs Kim etc....

I must admit I think Alexis Bledel acts like a plank of wood and her character to me was really annoying, a bit of a non entity. Kelly Bishop as Emily was superb and Edward Herrman played Lorelei's Dad perfectly. I loved Sookie and Jackson's relationship.

I did find Logan a rather repulsive character and found it astonishing that Rory would find anything remotely attractive about him. I am obviously one of the only people to have had that reaction. Dean was a bit dull, if well meaning. Jess to me was the most interesting character , I think intellectually he was the only one who could keep Rory interested, he was far more interesting than Logan and Dean put together.

Christopher was nice enough but weak and not the most interesting person ever, I did like Max and thought He could have been good for Lorelei.

But to me Luke was the one meant for Lorelai. He had always loved Her and cared deeply about Her, knew her warts and all and his inability to articulate his feelings did not negate the feelings he had for Her. Also he loved Rory like a Daughter which I think was crucial to Lorelei.

One character which I absolutely adore and had some of the best lines is Paris though. Liza Weil was absolutely wonderful in that role and really made it come to life. This caustic, sarcastic, bossy and rather over earnest girl still somehow managed to come out as vulnerable, loyal and I just loved her. Brutally honest, socially inept, damaged but also rather endearingly soft and insecure.

I would love to live somewhere like Stars Hollow which on the outside looks quaint, quiet and frankly boring but is vibrant, full of life and never has a dull moment with a lot going on and great community.... And the "Living Paintings" festival is genius ! What a fabulous idea !

Old 01-23-2013, 03:48 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,571,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
...One character which I absolutely adore and had some of the best lines is Paris though. Liza Weil was absolutely wonderful in that role and really made it come to life. This caustic, sarcastic, bossy and rather over earnest girl still somehow managed to come out as vulnerable, loyal and I just loved her. Brutally honest, socially inept, damaged but also rather endearingly soft and insecure...
Did you catch her on Bunheads Monday? As soon as I heard her voice, I knew it was Paris. She portrayed, Milly, Truly's sister. She exhibited some Paris-ish traits on this show too.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM

22,896 posts, read 28,171,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I did find Logan a rather repulsive character and found it astonishing that Rory would find anything remotely attractive about him. I am obviously one of the only people to have had that reaction.
No, you're not. I couldn't stand him and never saw why Rory would be interested in him. Why was she interested? 'Cause he was cute? That's just shallow. It never really explained the attraction. He was only a slightly less obnoxious version of Tristin from Season 1, whom Rory couldn't stand.

As much as I loved the show, the character of Rory didn't grow well. She started out as a lovable, intelligent kid. But the character became a lot less likeable as she grew, especially in college. But maybe that's true of most people. Come to think of it, most college kids I know are fairly obnoxious.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 644 times
I totally love this show and I'm so happy it's on Netflix. I watched all 7 seasons over the course of several weeks and just finished this weekend, and miss it already! I miss Stars Hollow, but saw the set on a Hollywood lot; Melissa McCarthy did a little tour for people back when the show was on and it's posted online. I also watched a bunch of Lauren Graham's appearances on Ellen online. I thought season 7 was good. I was not a big fan of season 6, too many boyfriend stories, and the show lost its core relationship that season, IMO. It was great when Rory and Loralei hit their rough patch, but then the storylines tanked. I even wondered if it was due to a writer's strike, but I don't think that was happening during season 6. But I thought they rallied in Season 7 and I was very sorry it didn't come back for another season.

It's weird, that show with the chuppah that Luke built Loralei, I had that pegged as the last episode in my foggy memory. I was never a regular watcher of the show, which made it even better to be able to watch all of the seasons. In my mind, that chuppah and the final episode go together, as the building of that chuppah was itself a loving act. Luke's point of view on marriage, and the fact that Loralei's marriage didn't work out, and neither did Rory's relationships, that would be a good angle (in my opinion) for a reunion. That meaningful truth never really found a place, and the show became overrun by conventionality when it came to relationships, so I think it's better that Luke and Loralei didn't marry. It means they were still true to who they each are, rather than buying into convention. But I did like what they did with Lane Kim's family. That was the good story of season 6. Ok, gotta go!!

The thing that is stuck in my mind now is the episode where Loralei got drunk and she makes one unfortunate speech, but you get to hear about the rest of her behavior later through other people. My favorite is when Sookie was saying goodbye and was waving her arm in the air and told Loralei it's what she doing and saying that night when she was drunk: "This is how Super-Cool Party People bid you Super Cool Adieu!"

Old 02-18-2015, 01:05 PM

421 posts, read 327,200 times
Yep I do I watch the Reruns sometimes good show

Old 02-18-2015, 09:38 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,223,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I lovedlovedloved this show! I am totally putting the series on my Amazon wish list now!
It is free on Netflix.
Watching it now.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:01 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,965,377 times
I have every disc from every season, but still watch it on netflix sometimes. Ridiculous, I know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV