Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:16 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,541 times

Advertisements

This is one of my all time favorite shows. I loved the town and the quirky characters, and it still ticks me off it ended the way it did. I want a reunion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 04:54 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,257,207 times
That's my favorite show of all time! I miss it a lot, and every time I see a rerun being shown, I watch it. A reunion would be great.

I wish there really were small towns like Stars Hollow.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:14 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
Hart of Dixie is probably the most similar show on the air currently. It too has a cute and almost-too-perfect little town, with quirky townspeople. And it's the same kind of light-hearted quirky drama, where being good is rewarded and even the bad, isn't that bad.

The biggest difference is Hart of Dixie's fish out of water theme - think Doc Martin or Northern Exposure, except with a young female doctor as the lead, set in a Southern version of Stars Hollow.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:57 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
I think Rory's graduation from Yale was an appropriate ending, and I thought the show had run out of steam. I wish the final episode had been very different, though. Here's how I would have ended it:

Use the first 20 or so minutes of the episode as written. Then...

...everything melts away when an insistent "Mom, you're stories are way too long" from Emily, Lorelie and Luke's daughter, snaps Lorelie out of a reverie, It turns out Luke, Lorelie and Emily are sitting under the chuppah that Luke built for Lorelie in season 1. It turns out the entire series has been one long story that they are telling Emily to help her resolve a problem with her boyfriend Kwan (son of Lane). The point of the story is to be honest with people you care about and not play games. Emily walks off to deal with her issues and Luke and Lorelie reminisce about how they finally learned to be honest with each other, and then ran off to on the trip Luke had planned with his daughter, got married, had lobster, etc.

They then start reminiscing about how the chuppah played a role in many important events... including Gypsy and Andrew's wedding, Rory's book making the New York Times Top Ten list, the grand opening of Babette's yard gnome company, and the wedding of Taylor and 10th Street Tessie (I think I got the name wrong, but I'm talking about a gossipy character who's mentioned a lot but never seen), etc. Everyone gets some sort of mention except maybe Logan. Jess has an unexpected future. Lane's kids grow up wanting to become Korean ministers (and one of them is dating Lorelie's daughter Emily). And something for Michel under the Chuppah--not sure what. Maybe a chance encounter with Celine Dion?

The ending is Emily coming back to say she followed their advice, stopped playing games with Kwan, and the fight is over. She gives them bulbs that Miss Patty is handing out in honor of the daffodil festival. "Oh boy bulbs! Now I'll have color coming out of my ying yang!" says Lorelie. "You always did" says Luke. The end.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:58 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,618 times
I miss Gilmore girls!! what a loving show <3
I have the first 3 seasons on DVD i just love watching them
It was my happy show hehe

Old 05-22-2012, 08:38 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,283 times
It was one of the few shows I looked forward to each week. Now I have less and less to watch on tv.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:54 AM

I liked the first few seasons but the endless game playing got annoying and that bizarre wedding in Paris was very annoying. I kept hoping it was a set up to show that Lorelie would fall for a scam, since you just can't get married in a foreign country like that. Surely it had to be a fake wedding. But no. Also, I don't know why tv producers think dysfunctional relationships are so hilarious and it's funny when people mislead their partners. Healthy relationships can be funny too!

At any rate, loved the town and the quirky towns people. East Side Tilley was the gossip I was trying to remember last night. Oh, and I forgot to note Kirk and Lulu have to get married under the chuppah, too. And Jackson and Suki have to do something under it. Maybe Jackson can write a best selling book about how to sleep with vegetables, and have the book signing under it.

Also, as long as we're rewriting the final episode, it needed to have that snarky harp payer from the first season returning to Stars Hollow. She could open a dress shop, with Ms. Celine as a buyer who shows up and the two "feel a connection--it's as if we were the same person!"

Old 05-22-2012, 09:14 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
I liked her better with Christopher. The way they broke up ticked ME off. If she and Luke were meant for each other, it wouldn't have taken them years and years to get together. He also wouldn't have bailed on her because he found out he had a daughter, or because her parents were jerks to him.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 AM

I actually liked Max the best. He was the only emotionally healthy male, once they destroyed Luke. You're right that they ruined the Luke character by making him so weak and deceptive. Christopher's character was nauseating to me--he seemed very phony, which is why I kept hoping the wedding in Paris would turn out to be just a fake ceremony. A scam of some sort, or maybe a joke that went too far because he kept hoping Lorelie would see through it. When she didn't catch on, he gave into his deceptive side and set up a fake wedding. I could see Emily knowing the truth all along but going along with it because tricking Lorelie would be the only way to get her married off. That whole story with Christopher was just so badly written, so difficult to believe--making it a set up for a scam would have explained a lot, and made the plot with Christopher a little more interesting.

Last edited by Caladium; 05-22-2012 at 09:51 AM..

Old 05-22-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
If she and Luke were meant for each other, it wouldn't have taken them years and years to get together. He also wouldn't have bailed on her because he found out he had a daughter, or because her parents were jerks to him.
Gotta agree. The Luke from the first two seasons would never have acted that way. And I generally hate it when love stories are strung out like that. When writers do that they ruin the characters. Better to let relationships mature, and find the humor in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV