Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At What Price Would You Cut Off Basic Cable?
$50 or Less 26 31.33%
$75 18 21.69%
$100 12 14.46%
$125 9 10.84%
I Will Never Give It Up No Matter The Cost 18 21.69%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 01:03 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,800,754 times

Advertisements

Years ago I canclled cable, but now might turn it back on since I have a roommate that's home alone and wants to watch cable as a pasttime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 01:44 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,990,710 times
Oh noes! A whole group of people are not watching our obnoxious commercials and hyperconsuming stuff they don't need, whatever shall we do?

Broadcasters Worry About 'Zero TV' Homes
Some people have had it with TV. They've had enough of the 100-plus channel universe. They don't like timing their lives around network show schedules. They're tired of $100-plus monthly bills.

A growing number of them have stopped paying for cable and satellite TV service, and don't even use an antenna to get free signals over the air. These people are watching shows and movies on the Internet, sometimes via cellphone connections. The Nielsen Co. started labeling people in this group "Zero TV" households, because they fall outside the traditional definition of a TV home. There are 5 million of these residences in the U.S., up from 2 million in 2007.

Winning back the Zero TV crowd will be one of the many issues broadcasters discuss at their national meeting, called the NAB Show, taking place this week in Las Vegas.

The Zero TV segment is increasingly important, because the number of people signing up for traditional TV service has slowed to a standstill in the U.S.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:49 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Oh noes! A whole group of people are not watching our obnoxious commercials and hyperconsuming stuff they don't need, whatever shall we do?

Some people have had it with TV. They've had enough of the 100-plus channel universe. They don't like timing their lives around network show schedules. They're tired of $100-plus monthly bills.

A growing number of them have stopped paying for cable and satellite TV service, and don't even use an antenna to get free signals over the air. These people are watching shows and movies on the Internet, sometimes via cellphone connections. The Nielsen Co. started labeling people in this group "Zero TV" households, because they fall outside the traditional definition of a TV home. There are 5 million of these residences in the U.S., up from 2 million in 2007.

Winning back the Zero TV crowd will be one of the many issues broadcasters discuss at their national meeting, called the NAB Show, taking place this week in Las Vegas.

The Zero TV segment is increasingly important, because the number of people signing up for traditional TV service has slowed to a standstill in the U.S.

I bet none of those of people are sports fans.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:07 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,739,581 times
Quote:

Because of a bundle deal, our cable was only around $10-15 a month for the most BASIC offerings, our internet being the highest part of the bill, but even so, we dropped the cable because no one in the house ever watched it. The one time I wanted to watch a particular episode of a program on MSNBC, I discovered it was not part of my basic channel lineup and that annoyed me to the point where we just dropped it entirely.

We watch Netflix, we use Amazon instant play, Hulu, and various sites to see what we want to see, when we want to see it. We use the PS3 for streaming in the living room or occasionally one of us will watch things on our own on an individual computer. I can't imagine ever going back to cable. Our apartment building won't allow a mini-dish but we probably wouldn't go that route either. There is no shortage of stuff to watch and when someone starts a sentence with "Have you seen that commercial for..." my answer has been "Nope!" for years now.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:05 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,179,010 times
Wellllllll now that the networks are seeing we the people don't need them to enjoy TV why aren't they releasing broadcast rights to things like Google box? We paid for that box to do away with cable when we moved into town last summer only we can't see very many popular channels through it like they claimed we would.

Next all these companies that offered these really to good to be true packages are now tossing them for full rates in our area now. So AT&T Uverse internet will go from $14.95 to $90.00 per month that we use to view TV shows online. Are these types of companies the new cable companies of today that will hold us hostage to much higher prices monthly? Eventually will cable go away and internet/digital charges will be unaffordable to many?

Old 04-07-2013, 08:21 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Wellllllll now that the networks are seeing we the people don't need them to enjoy TV why aren't they releasing broadcast rights to things like Google box? We paid for that box to do away with cable when we moved into town last summer only we can't see very many popular channels through it like they claimed we would.

Next all these companies that offered these really to good to be true packages are now tossing them for full rates in our area now. So AT&T Uverse internet will go from $14.95 to $90.00 per month that we use to view TV shows online. Are these types of companies the new cable companies of today that will hold us hostage to much higher prices monthly? Eventually will cable go away and internet/digital charges will be unaffordable to many?

Well of course

Old 04-07-2013, 08:40 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:

I can't go out and try to adjust an antenna to get tv stations, which is often necessary here. And cable is outragious. There basic local is almost 40 dollars for about 25 channels. I have the bareboned dish instead where its less and I get more options besides the free preview premium channels.

if I could do a twenty channel deal cheap I'd love it. But *I* pick the channels. Fair enough, movie channels should be extra, but cable channels regardless of tier would be so much for the do it yourself bundle.

Are they likely to do that? No, of course. I'd have to buy a dvr with some tivo like device or I'd miss everything too, but that would be a one time buy.

I've considered trying one of the inside the house digital antennas, but my addiction is hgtv, cooking, diy and Food. Give me those four and the main networks and pbs and a few more and I'd be VERY happy. I'd want science, history, military History 2 I could be happy with that small collection and never miss any of the others since I seldom watch them anyway.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:24 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,054,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I bet none of those of people are sports fans.
Really? I'm one of them.

Both the NBA and MLB have comprehensive online streaming services. The NHL has one too, though I've heard it is not as good as the other two. The NFL doesn't have it yet, but they will soon enough, probably. In the meantime, all games are broadcast mainly on FOX and CBS, with the night games on NBC and ESPN. FOX, CBS and NBC are all available OTA, and the ESPN games can be accessed with ESPN3.com (available with most ISPs). Only the NFL Network games would be more difficult to obtain.

And that's not even mentioning the less "legitimate" methods, like torrents and offshore streaming sites.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
I haven't tried NBA but the problem with streaming games from MLB is they black out your home-market teams because networks that bought the rights to show those games aren't going to let the party they bought the rights from be a direct competitor to their broadcasts.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:02 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,033 times
I'm thinking about it. And I have the bare minimum basic. I could have an extra $72/month in my pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV