Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At What Price Would You Cut Off Basic Cable?
$50 or Less 26 31.33%
$75 18 21.69%
$100 12 14.46%
$125 9 10.84%
I Will Never Give It Up No Matter The Cost 18 21.69%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:28 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times

Advertisements

All I really need is just the local channels as I have internet for watching the shows I want. When I move out, I'm just getting the basic channel. We're now paying over $100 a month and don't get any channels at all. Plus it keep climbing every month too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 12:31 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
I dropped cable, Uverse, and Satellite and am using antennae and a bluetooth DVD.

I am loving it this last 6 months and have barely scratched the surface of the capabilities offered.

Can see objective (not political slanted) news from worldwide outlets. an loving swedish and italian shows with subtitles. local broad cast channels. plus all the things i can get with the blue tooth.

who needs cable?

Old 01-05-2014, 01:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlarue1 View Post
We have roku on our TVs and a outdoor antenna that picks up Ota networks. We get NBC CBS abc fox. We seem to watch more shows now, where before we used to flip around alot before. We have no plans to ever go back to cable.
I wish I could convince my landlord to install and outdoor antenna but everyone in my small apartment complex has cable so he won't do it. My indoor antenna usually works just find but there are times when I have to constantly adjust it depending upon which shows I want to watch.

I checked with an expert to see if I had the correct additional hookups for a roku box or something similar but I only have one set of the proper plug ins that have to accommodate my digital converter box. When my analog TV dies, of course, I will buy a digital TV so I will be able to have them and I will definitely be looking into one of roku type devices.

But I am with you about never going back to cable. It's fine for those who like it and can afford it but I am in neither category. When I had it my picture was grainy and the DVR's they kept giving me never worked very well. The price kept going up for all sorts of little "extras" I didn't want or need. There was a time when I could negotiate price with them but once they became just about the only game in town, that option disappeared. It just isn't worth it.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:37 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,491,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
I can't afford cable and make do with the rabbit ears. Unfortunately my channels don't always come in, and I have to constantly adjust the antenna to get reception. This can be frustrating, especially when there's a program I really want to watch on and I can't get it to come in. I never had this problem before the switch to digital five years ago. Part of me thinks the cable industry was involved in the decision to go digital in an attempt to increase subscribers (since cable doesn't require bunny ears).
That's so annoying! Before HDTV sometimes I'd get some snow or something, but the show was still watchable. Now I just get a No Signal.

I bought this antenna which works better than the outdoor antenna I had, plus is easier to adjust since you don't have to go outside to do it. I do have to have it in my window, the signal won't come thru the wall.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
That's so annoying! Before HDTV sometimes I'd get some snow or something, but the show was still watchable. Now I just get a No Signal.

I bought this antenna which works better than the outdoor antenna I had, plus is easier to adjust since you don't have to go outside to do it. I do have to have it in my window, the signal won't come thru the wall.
I have that very same antenna and I have to adjust it all the time. I don't believe it's the fault of the antenna, I think it all depends upon where one lives and the atmosphere. I don't have it in the window though, in order to do that I would have to move my entire living room furniture configuration around. But it is not far from the window and there is no wall in between it and the window.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:31 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,491,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have that very same antenna and I have to adjust it all the time. I don't believe it's the fault of the antenna, I think it all depends upon where one lives and the atmosphere. I don't have it in the window though, in order to do that I would have to move my entire living room furniture configuration around. But it is not far from the window and there is no wall in between it and the window.
If you have an extra cable hanging around, it might be worth it to string it across your LR to see if that helps. It's super annoying to have to get up and move the antenna every time you change channels!

Old 01-05-2014, 05:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
I can't afford cable and make do with the rabbit ears. Unfortunately my channels don't always come in, and I have to constantly adjust the antenna to get reception. This can be frustrating, especially when there's a program I really want to watch on and I can't get it to come in. I never had this problem before the switch to digital five years ago. Part of me thinks the cable industry was involved in the decision to go digital in an attempt to increase subscribers (since cable doesn't require bunny ears).

Even if I could afford cable I doubt that I would get it. There simply aren't enough good programs to warrant the outrageous monthly charges that just continue to go up. Besides I can usually find what I want to watch online anyway.
It was the federal government that pushed the conversion to digital to free up spectrum. You can carry a lot more digital information over the same broadcast signal than you can conventional analog information.

Anyway, rabbit ears suck for digital TV. The "rabbit ears" themselves are designed to pick up VHF signals and nearly all digital signals are broadcast on UHF, which is picked up by the hoop not the "ears." Get an antenna designed to maximize UHF signal reception and it should make a significant difference.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:55 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It was the federal government that pushed the conversion to digital to free up spectrum. You can carry a lot more digital information over the same broadcast signal than you can conventional analog information.

Anyway, rabbit ears suck for digital TV. The "rabbit ears" themselves are designed to pick up VHF signals and nearly all digital signals are broadcast on UHF, which is picked up by the hoop not the "ears." Get an antenna designed to maximize UHF signal reception and it should make a significant difference.
Another thing which really helps digital TV reception is a signal amplifier like these:

Motorola 484095-001-00 Signal Booster - Cable + 15db Broadband Drop Amplifier at TigerDirect.com

http://www.hometech.com/hts/products...hcda1fraa.html

Lots of companies make them, so you can probably find one similar to the above in any electronics store like a Radio Shack, etc.

Some digital HDTV antennas already have signal amplifiers built in. They really make a difference.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:47 PM

48 posts, read 111,366 times
Never... It gives me live events, over a hundred channels at the click of a button, new and old, news, background noise, and raised me.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:48 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,769 times
I haven't paid for cable in over 7 years. I was totally happy with broadcast TV. But then we moved to Oregon, in the mountains, and no indoor antenna will bring in any channels in our apartment. There's too much interfering with the signals. Really, it's just been kind've weird having my TV off all the time.

Looked into PAYING for broadcast channels with the cable company... which is only $12, but then, actually, it's not. That's if you're paying for a bunch of their other services, which we're not. So, I didn't have that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV