Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 11:58 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
Nor am I a fan of stupid TV, I don't mind silly but have a low tolerance stupid.
Amen to that! In particular, I hate stupid + formulaic. Those 70s shows were so loaded with catch phrases that there was almost no time for plot, and the plots they did have were formulas.

This is the typical Laverne & Shirley plot:

First 3 minutes: Mildly funny joke about an unfortunate or embarrassing event from the night before, in which Laverne says something cynical and Shirley counters with something perky. Laverne rolls her eyes.

1 minute: focus on Laverne's "L". Discussion about how Laverne drinks milk and pepsi and some joke that clues us in that these are "working class girls" who aren't very sophisticated but have "hearts of gold". Often a good place for a few 1950s references.

2 minutes: Entrance of Lenny & Squiggy. Every entrance they waste lots of time saying "Hello" in a signature dopey voice. Time is wasted while the staged audience cheers and whistles as if this was the funniest thing they had ever seen.

2-3 minutes: Discussion with Lenny & Squiggy about whatever weird thing they did that day. Shirley gets grossed out, and/or Laverne makes some "oh geez"type of remark. Discussion about how they love Bosco Chocolate Syrup. More 1950s references.

5 minutes: Today's plot. will be presented in 5 minutes. Not much time, and you don't even get the full 5 minutes because during this portion of the show the following formulaic things will take place: Frank will call his daughter "Muffin". Carmine will spin or do a little dance. Shirley will say "a little vo-dee-o-doe-doe" (usually either to criticize some other woman, sometimes to brag about her own love life.) The song "High Hopes" will be sung, usually as a manipulation. There will be an excuse to mention "Boo Boo Kitty", a large stuffed cat which sits next to a bed. There will be a reason to mention the Feeney Family Photo Album. Laverne will go "wah," trying to sound like Lucille Ball.

1 minute: The Insult! At about the same point in each show, something happens that insults the girls or hurts their feelings.

5 minutes: The slapstick portion of the show. Takes two forms: Revenge for the Insult or Retrieving Something They Accidentally Left Somewhere. Either way, you can count on something getting stuck and other typical slapstick moves. There isn't much plot in this portion of the show, it's usually just a series of slapstick routines. After 5 minutes they either succeed or at least get out of the situation.

Final 2 minutes: At least one of the girls feels bad over what happened, but they cheer each other up, and decide to make the best of their misfortune that day. If they didn't sing High Hopes before, you'll probably hear it here.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Last edited by Caladium; 06-16-2012 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 12:02 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times
M*A*S*H was by far my favorite sitcom from the 70's. I still watch re-runs of that one at times. Three's Company and Laverne and Shirley were both funny but IMO, Three's Company was funnier.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:44 PM

841 posts, read 1,916,999 times
Two more shows I can no longer sit through. I tried a few times recently with Laverne and Shirely. Just could not do it.

I think The Odd Couple still is watchable and funny. (Caught it on ME TV the other night). And Star Trek.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:54 PM

958 posts, read 2,132,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Amen to that! In particular, I hate stupid + formulaic. Those 70s shows were so loaded with catch phrases that there was almost no time for plot, and the plots they did have were formulas.

This is the typical Laverne & Shirley plot:

First 3 minutes: Mildly funny joke about an unfortunate or embarrassing event from the night before, in which Laverne says something cynical and Shirley counters with something perky. Laverne rolls her eyes.

1 minute: focus on Laverne's "L". Discussion about how Laverne drinks milk and pepsi and some joke that clues us in that these are "working class girls" who aren't very sophisticated but have "hearts of gold". Often a good place for a few 1950s references.

2 minutes: Entrance of Lenny & Squiggy. Every entrance they waste lots of time saying "Hello" in a signature dopey voice. Time is wasted while the staged audience cheers and whistles as if this was the funniest thing they had ever seen.

2-3 minutes: Discussion with Lenny & Squiggy about whatever weird thing they did that day. Shirley gets grossed out, and/or Laverne makes some "oh geez"type of remark. Discussion about how they love Bosco Chocolate Syrup. More 1950s references.

5 minutes: Today's plot. will be presented in 5 minutes. Not much time, and you don't even get the full 5 minutes because during this portion of the show the following formulaic things will take place: Frank will call his daughter "Muffin". Carmine will spin or do a little dance. Shirley will say "a little vo-dee-o-doe-doe" (usually either to criticize some other woman, sometimes to brag about her own love life.) The song "High Hopes" will be sung, usually as a manipulation. There will be an excuse to mention "Boo Boo Kitty", a large stuffed cat which sits next to a bed. There will be a reason to mention the Feeney Family Photo Album. Laverne will go "wah," trying to sound like Lucille Ball.

1 minute: The Insult! At about the same point in each show, something happens that insults the girls or hurts their feelings.

5 minutes: The slapstick portion of the show. Takes two forms: Revenge for the Insult or Retrieving Something They Accidentally Left Somewhere. Either way, you can count on something getting stuck and other typical slapstick moves. There isn't much plot in this portion of the show, it's usually just a series of slapstick routines. After 5 minutes they either succeed or at least get out of the situation.

Final 2 minutes: At least one of the girls feels bad over what happened, but they cheer each other up, and decide to make the best of their misfortune that day. If they didn't sing High Hopes before, you'll probably hear it here.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
As Yogi Berra said. "It's deja vu all over again"

Old 06-16-2012, 04:57 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Some of those shows were bad then and are still bad now.
WKRP in Cincinnati was a much better show all the way around. It was an original show with some real life experiences. Not a copy like Three's Company which came from a british comedy (man about the house) or a spin off like Laverne and Shirley.

MASH, Mary Tyler Moore show, All in The Family were shows with political or social commentary at it's core. I'm not really a fan of that style of "entertainment". Nor am I a fan of stupid TV, I don't mind silly but have a low tolerance stupid.
Also back then people watched them because there were only three networks to choose from.

Yup the same reason Gunsmoke and Bonanza did well in the ratings back then, there was not much competition.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Two more shows I can no longer sit through. I tried a few times recently with Laverne and Shirely. Just could not do it.

I think The Odd Couple still is watchable and funny. (Caught it on ME TV the other night). And Star Trek.
That's how I felt about Mork and Mindy last night and can't not understand why that show was so popular

Old 06-16-2012, 05:09 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
Laverne and Shirley!

The Original British Sitcom (which Three's Company copied)- Man About The House, is far superior to Three's Company in my opinion.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:11 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Those are your picks for the "best 70's sitcom"? Really? Both sucked and should be pretty much at the bottom of anyone's list.

I'd pick the best among the following: All in the Family, Mash, Sanford and Son, Mary Tyler Moore Show and perhaps a few others.
Those never held my interest.

Three's Company had more likeable and compelling family characters.

Of course, I watched these as a kid.

None of them are any good to me now. But if I had to pick, I'd pick 3's company every time.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:40 PM

958 posts, read 2,132,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Yup the same reason Gunsmoke and Bonanza did well in the ratings back then, there was not much competition.

Gunsmoke and Bonanza were actually good that's why they are ranked among the longest running drama series on tv. They withstood the test of time appealing to more than just one generation of viewers during their respective runs.
Can't say the same for Lavern and Shirley and Three's Company.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Gunsmoke and Bonanza were actually good that's why they are ranked among the longest running drama series on tv. They withstood the test of time appealing to more than just one generation of viewers during their respective runs.
Can't say the same for Lavern and Shirley and Three's Company.
Gunsmoke and Bonanza didnt come along during the cable tv era and that's why the shows were so popular. At that time it was only 3 channels and most CBS stations were a lot clearer than ABC and NBC stations which also explains the higher ratings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV