Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:25 AM

468 posts, read 785,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I remember "That Darn Cat" back in the 70's with Grayson Hall on TV .

"The Taking of Pelham, 1, 2, 3" was with Walter Matthau, and Jerry Stiller, it was a book first, I believe then on TV. John Travolta did the remake in the movies

Hey Chris B,

PS: Walter Matthau's name ( the long russian name) was when he was playing the dunk man in "Earthquake"

easy mistake, Earthquake was one of my favorites also

The original version of "Pelham 1,2,3.." was a theatrical release:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tak...ree_(1974_film)

The story of Walter Matthau's original "long Russian name" is told toward the bottom of this Wikipedia article:

Walter Matthau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

God bless.

CKB

P.S. I didn't say ALL 1970s TV movies were "schocky", but some of them were in the "so-bad-it's-good" category!

Old 10-10-2012, 04:04 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Can you find these movies on Amazon?

Old 10-11-2012, 11:53 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
The Burning Bed starring Farrah Fawcett. I read the book first and had to see the movie. That's when I realized Farrah could be a serious and good actress.

Was Brian's Song a big screen movie first? My memory wants to say I saw it on the big screen. Of course my memory plays tricks on me nowadays.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:46 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
there was a TV movie that I remember when I was a kid, it was about this family, a dad and his teenage kids, they go off to the woods to go camping one weekend but the mom couldn't make it because she had stay in the city to work or something, and then while they're camping, armaggedon happens and there's like a nuclear war or something, and all the major cities are nuked and they try to find their way back home to save their mom, and in their journey they have to find food and survive and then finally they reach theri home and it's all destroyed and I think they find their mom's body there and then they have no choice but to just move on and find a place to live that's not destroyed. I can't remember the title or the stars, just the story and random images in my head

Old 10-11-2012, 12:52 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
It was d u m b, but my family still laughs about the movie, "Killdozer".

Old 10-11-2012, 01:29 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
70s TV movies I remember well:

A Girl Named Sooner
A little girl being raised and neglected by an old hillbilly relative gets taken in by "normal parents" and has to adapt to going to school, wearing shoes, etc. I think Lee Remick was the adoptive mom, because in the 70s there was the law the Lee Remick had to be in every TV movie. I remember crying when some schoolyard bullies killed a bird that Sooner tried to save, and she wanted so bad to be accepted, she started throwing rocks at it too.

When Every Day Was the 4th of July
A subtle homage to To Kill A Mockingbird starring my favorite 70s child actress Katy Kurtzman. Dad is a lawyer in the 1930s who defends a mentally ill albino man for a murder he didn't commit. Little girl sticks up for the man and helps dad solve the case. This used to come on as a late night movie a few years later (after the News, at 11:30 PM in my area) all the time and I would watch it over and over. It was almost the same story as Mockingbird, except instead of racism it was about how "people who are different" get treated by society.

Like Normal People
All young girls in the 70s loved Shawn Cassidy, so we all watched him play a mentally retarded young man who falls in love with a similarly disabled young woman, and they want to get married. But this movie is mixed up in my head with another 70s TV movie about two young people with mental retardation wanting to get married, but that one starred John-Boy from the Waltons. They were pretty much the same movie, according to my memory. In one of them, there was some quote about Bugs Bunny, so the boys in my class would say it over and over in a voice as if they were mentally retarded(very wrong, but that's how little kids were).

Orphan Train
True story of a bunch of orphans from the east coast in the 19th century being sent by train across the west to get adopted by families. My favorite was the little girl, Melissa Michaelson, who convinced everyone she was a boy and then later revealed that she was a girl.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:29 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
It was d u m b, but my family still laughs about the movie, "Killdozer".

A young Robert Urich (RIP) co-starred in this:

Killdozer (1974) - Full Film - YouTube

Old 10-11-2012, 04:26 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
The Burning Bed starring Farrah Fawcett. I read the book first and had to see the movie. That's when I realized Farrah could be a serious and good actress.

Was Brian's Song a big screen movie first? My memory wants to say I saw it on the big screen. Of course my memory plays tricks on me nowadays.
No - it was an ABC TV movie of the week.

It was one of a handful of jewels from that era, along with "Duel"

Old 10-11-2012, 04:29 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
there was a TV movie that I remember when I was a kid, it was about this family, a dad and his teenage kids, they go off to the woods to go camping one weekend but the mom couldn't make it because she had stay in the city to work or something, and then while they're camping, armaggedon happens and there's like a nuclear war or something, and all the major cities are nuked and they try to find their way back home to save their mom, and in their journey they have to find food and survive and then finally they reach theri home and it's all destroyed and I think they find their mom's body there and then they have no choice but to just move on and find a place to live that's not destroyed. I can't remember the title or the stars, just the story and random images in my head
That sounds very familiar....very similar to "Panic in the Year Zero" with Ray Milland. Only in that one I believe it was the grandmother that they left in the city.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I think "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pitmann" would qualify? Man, Cicely Tyson did one beautiful job on the acting in that movie. It was not released to movie theatres otherwise she would have definitely won an oscar for that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV