U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 06:12 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,214,655 times
Default The Newsroom

This just started on Sunday nights, after True Blood on HBO.

It was very interesting for an opening show, setting the scene. I loved the initial statements by the news presenter who was asked why America is the greatest country in the world. He said we used to be and then listed all the bullet points in which we had fallen behind the rest of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 12:58 PM

4,699 posts, read 4,632,726 times
I liked this one, fast paced and heavy on dialogue, like the West Wing. In an interview last week, Sorkin remarked "around the dinner table when I was growing up, if you used only one word when you could have used ten, you weren't trying." Sorkin will be adapting Walter Isaacson's book on Steve Jobs for the big screen.
The NYT didn't give Newsroom a very positive review. I think they're wrong this time.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:40 AM

17,594 posts, read 24,535,215 times
great pilot! already season passed it ...

Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 AM

13,321 posts, read 29,633,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I loved the initial statements by the news presenter who was asked why America is the greatest country in the world. He said we used to be and then listed all the bullet points in which we had fallen behind the rest of the world.
It began well, but as time went on, felt a bit preachy/cheesy/pretentious to me. I love Jeff Daniels, and his character is likable too, but the whole thing, especially with the stirring, manipulative music, just felt icky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
In an interview last week, Sorkin remarked "around the dinner table when I was growing up, if you used only one word when you could have used ten, you weren't trying."
I'm really not trying to diss or be contrarian, but I deplore that attitude. It's not that I dislike dense prose (whether written or spoken) but I can't stand using more words simply for the sake of doing so.
I enjoy dialogue (and grand exhortations!) as much as the next person, but I need it to sound natural, not scripted and rehearsed.
But I understand that Sorkin's characters are speaking for him, and he obviously has a lot to say.
BTW, I loved The Social Network. Maybe Sorkin's writing was a bit more reined in for that one.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 AM

2,624 posts, read 2,612,992 times
It's a keeper on my DVR! Really enjoyed it. I think what I like best about Sorkin is his idealism. Things are so discouraging right now in America, it feels good to be reminded of what we once were and can be again.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:14 PM

1,556 posts, read 853,821 times
"I have a BLOG?"

LOL

I will tune in next week. I wonder if they are gonna cover other real life events from a newsroom's POV. I'm surprised they didn't cover 9/11. Too cliche or too poainful?

The cast was cliched also. Nave young intern? Check. Brassy, sassy female lead? Check. Douchebag boyfriend/antagonist? Check. Golden boy/naive girl/douchebag triangle? Check.

Did anyone else thing Nave Girl was the same college student from the opening scene?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 PM

23,791 posts, read 15,782,780 times
HBO has another good one!

I think this show has lots of potential and will only get better as it continues to move on each week. Great story lines and acting, I wish the time-slot would be easier to tune in to,,,, but I won’t miss next week’s show that’s for sure!

Old 07-23-2012, 06:15 AM

980 posts, read 427,786 times
I watched the first 2 episodes...but quickly got turned off by the heavily liberal viewpoint of the writing and the show. Way to preachy and just tough to watch.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:33 PM

4,699 posts, read 4,632,726 times
Liberal bent or not, I find the show so far factually accurate. I suspect the show will criticize liberals also at some point. Bill Clinton was recognized last night for signing the Glass-Steagall Act into law.

Newsroom has been renewed for a second season. The viewership has remained steady for the first four episodes. However, Sorkin is replacing almost all the present writing staff for the second season.
I do find Alison Pill's character, Maggie, extremely annoying at times. For example, her rant to Jim last night regarding Valentine's Day.
Clip:
Viewership for “The Newsroom” has remained healthy over its first four episodes, drawing about two million viewers for broadcasts of new episodes and between six million and seven million viewers over multiple showings.
Writing Staff Gets a Rewrite at HBO's 'Newsroom' - NYTimes.com

Last edited by tigerlily; 07-23-2012 at 02:36 PM..

Old 07-23-2012, 03:53 PM

1,068 posts, read 889,095 times
I am a big Aaron Sorkin fan but have felt excrutiatingly underwhelmed by the first two episodes of 'The Newsroom'. This is the second series in a row after 'Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip' where Sorkin has used the catalyst of a Howard Beale-esque on screen meltdown as the big bang to propel the drama from the perspective of a highly intense rant that I suppose is a deliberate attempt to lure the viewer in and ensnare the audience from the off.

So far, so Shakespeare and so many other writers of quality who realise that the first ten minutes of a show are critical in reeling an audience in. However this for me has been the highlight of the show so far and ever since it has been heavily propped up by a stirring performance from Jeff Daniels who has carried the show for a lack of likeable or convincing characters alongside him dragging down the team.

The main problem with 'Newsroom' is the fact that the main plot line is already old news. The BP oil spill was going to turn into a big News story so unlike Martin Sheen preparing for a big speech in the West Wing or Josh in West Wing having to make grudging concessions to a foreign dignitary or Republican in order to clinch an unappetising but necessary compromise or settlement we know exactly where the story is going and as such can ease back from the edge of our seats in full certainty that all we are left with is an empty vaccuum of hot air and tittle-tattle until the dots are joined and the inevitable story arc comes to an end.

Unlike 'the West Wing' or indeed 'Studio 60' 'the Newsroom' just doesn't strike me as convincing and some of Sorkin's interplay and sledgehammer to crack a nut bruiser semantics come across as a little overbearing and needlessly smug at times. There was no need to be so dismissive of the 'sophomore' 20 year old student for example and what was with all the i-phones waving in the air? Yeah we know it's 2012 and we are at the pinnacle of technological evolution but can we please think of something better to do when we see something that grabs our attention other than robotically taking out an i-phone and thinking to ourselves "Youtube, Eureka!" Especially when the damn thing being filmed is going out live on television anyway. Arrrgh

Yes, ther are some redeeming features about 'The Newsroom' but unfortunately here Sorkin has given his detractors alot of material to aim at as they focus their ire at what could have been an interesting and worthy complement to the clunky, rabble-rousing ignorance of what passes for News these days.

I wanted it to be better but it just isn't. For one thing he appears to have grown into that most stagnant of middle-aged fau paux's. That of the rose-tinted reminiscence of a golden era of broadcasting that quite simply never existed. Sure there are some salient points made and integrity does seem to be at an all time barrel scraping low but since when has the News ever been this 'nuanced' vehicle of bi-partisan worthiness? I've never seen a News broadcaster that doesn't have an angle and even supposedly neutral organisations such as the BBC are merely and inevitably the middle-ground as reflected from the lopsided prism of the rest of the press than any sincerely meaningful definiton of balance.

The staff are extremely irritating and what's more I am getting so bored of hearing those shrill and monotone 'British' accents on television. I know American networks get a large pull from British audiences and that Murdoch has bridged the Atlantic and there is alot of cross-over material now but when I watch American dramas I want to see quintessentially American characters and not the most banal British accents ever and this romantic allure you currently have in America with Indians (as in from the country India) being this new thing that's kind of exotic and intriguing (see also Big Bang Theory) is wearing extremely thin.

It may be a new phenomena in the States (as far as TV appearances for actors/actresses are concerned anyway) but it is something that is dinosaur age in terms of old hat in the UK as Indians have been part of the furniture here since the 1950's and stopped being treated as spicy, aromatic flavours that were there as these new vibrant, melting pit bunnies of zen in the 1970's.

ENOUGH! What's more, I used to live just down the road from that intellectual colossas of an Indian/English blogger/journalist and it kind of kills the whole concept stone dead when 1) I've met the fella and he's not that intelligent and 2) He's as dull as Fish & Chips and Marmite. Please, enough with British actors in American shows already.

Except Daphne in Frasier, gotta love the Daphers.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 07-23-2012 at 04:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV