Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:29 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Yes, Lucille Ball was not an idiot, but her Lucy character reminds me that all things in the 50s were not wonderful.

Women conning the men to get things instead of having a job themselves.
And, I think they had kind of a lame apartment if Ricky was supposed to be a famous band leader. I know it was NYC and that place is expensive but their apartment is just "eh."
and ralph and alice had a dump too---with an icebox from the40's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 08:31 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Lucy had a nice apartment, she was always getting new furniture.

I just wish that from time to time the window in the apartment would have of been open with the curtains blowing once and a while to really feel like it was an apartment and not a set.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:34 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Funny, when these shows come on I can't stand either. I hate how women are portrayed and my son gets the same way (Alan Alda junior we call him).

It really bothers me Lucy has to bribe or con Ricky for money for clothes, or a hat or whatever. Get your own career, woman!

Alice is just a damn shrew. Did she have a job in The Honeymooners? Today they'd call her a leach, a stay home woman with no kids.

Ralph reminds me of too many obnoxious people I grew up with.

Because in those days the man supported the wife. His job was to make the money and pay the bills and her job was to maintain the household and make dinner. Of course that changes 20 years later

Old 07-10-2012, 04:52 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,542 times
From what I have read, it was very difficult for married women to get hired in those times. Even if you wanted to work, people felt the job should go to a man who would either be or eventually supporting a family.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:13 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,872 times
Both shows were good, but I gotta go with I Love Lucy.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
From what I have read, it was very difficult for married women to get hired in those times. Even if you wanted to work, people felt the job should go to a man who would either be or eventually supporting a family.

they felt that the woman would get pregnant then leave because of the baby, so men were always hired because they had families to support.

remember the episode when Alice got a job and the boss came over while she was typing in the kitchen

Old 07-12-2012, 08:35 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Because in those days the man supported the wife. His job was to make the money and pay the bills and her job was to maintain the household and make dinner. Of course that changes 20 years later
Yes, that was back in the day when the mom was home with the children. Big healthy meal on the table every night and you ate dinner together when your Dad got home. Lots of children outside playing together all day and at night,(blind man's bluff, hide and seek, catching lightening bugs) parents talking to other parents on the porch and everybody watched TV together on Saturday night. You watched a few cartoons on Saturday morning with your brothers and sisters, then you went out to play or had ball games in the alley.
Today I hardly see a child outside, let alone neighbor children playing together. It's all about play dates.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:46 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
they felt that the woman would get pregnant then leave because of the baby, so men were always hired because they had families to support.

remember the episode when Alice got a job and the boss came over while she was typing in the kitchen
I'm not a big Honeymooners fan, so I have only seen a few episodes. I had no idea Alice ever got a job!

Old 07-13-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Yes, that was back in the day when the mom was home with the children. Big healthy meal on the table every night and you ate dinner together when your Dad got home. Lots of children outside playing together all day and at night,(blind man's bluff, hide and seek, catching lightening bugs) parents talking to other parents on the porch and everybody watched TV together on Saturday night. You watched a few cartoons on Saturday morning with your brothers and sisters, then you went out to play or had ball games in the alley.
Today I hardly see a child outside, let alone neighbor children playing together. It's all about play dates.

tell me thats not sickening.

I had the life you described above to a Tee.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I'm not a big Honeymooners fan, so I have only seen a few episodes. I had no idea Alice ever got a job!

just one episode, then she quit because Ralph was jealous. (ofcourse)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV