Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 02:37 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,754,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
What I don't get is why do you people watch something that you don't enjoy? Why complain about him when all you have to do is change the channel. I hate Jay Leno but my solution to that is I simply don't watch him.
Luckily there are still plenty of people, myself included, who feel Dave is one of the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 04:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,376,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
What I don't get is why do you people watch something that you don't enjoy? Why complain about him when all you have to do is change the channel. I hate Jay Leno but my solution to that is I simply don't watch him.
Luckily there are still plenty of people, myself included, who feel Dave is one of the best!

Well to be fair, you have to watch something before you judge it otherwise how can you form an opinion? I watched Letterman a few times and found him misogynistic. Joy Behar once described him as such too.

I agree that it doesn't make sense to watch something you don't like but you have to watch it to see if you like it. I didn't so I don't.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:32 PM

746 posts, read 1,674,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well to be fair, you have to watch something before you judge it otherwise how can you form an opinion? I watched Letterman a few times and found him misogynistic. Joy Behar once described him as such too.

I agree that it doesn't make sense to watch something you don't like but you have to watch it to see if you like it. I didn't so I don't.
Agreed.
I used to watch him all the time, haven't watched him for awhile and recently tuned in. I gave my thoughts of what I am seeing - namely, a miserable old man that has lost his touch.
Just my .02

Old 09-20-2013, 04:45 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,673,898 times
Question Letterman Question

Not that I am a fan, but I wonder why it is that he runs to one side of the stage and then walks out to start the show. Anyone know why he does this?

Old 09-27-2013, 05:43 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,452,899 times
I am a fan, and I don't think there's a real reason. It's just one of the little things he started doing and never stopped. Kinda like the jokes he repeats every dang night till everybody's sick of them.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:39 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,265,550 times
I would bet that it is a superstition. Lot's of comics have them. So do baseball players.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:16 PM

16,175 posts, read 32,413,442 times
I was fortunate enough to be able to attend a taping and sit on the front row. There is no reason for it. He started doing it, it stuck and not it's a trademark of sorts.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:36 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,566,225 times
Speaking of Letterman . . .

I started watching him almost from the very beginning on NBC. I once saw him walking down lower 5th Ave. in NYC, very exciting! Anyway, for 8 years or so with plain old plug-in tv I didn't get CBS, so I got used to watching Jimmy Kimmel, and I like him. Now that I'm on satellite and can watch CBS again, I find Dave to be pretty boring, so sad.

Here's the Letterman question. Do you think now that Leno's finally being booted out, Letterman will retire soon too? With their rivalry, there was no way he was going to leave before Leno, but now he has an out. How long does his current contract run?

He really seems as though he's running on fumes. I do know that he suffers from depression, so that may be it. I see his running across the stage first thing as a way to get himself revved up for the show.

And when Letterman does retire, who does CBS have waiting in the wings???

Old 09-28-2013, 05:54 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,410,130 times
At one time I was a huge fan. His sense of humor was a delight and I considered him a comic genius. I'm not sure what changed, but, somehow or other, he must have decided to forego hanging onto his waning creativity and primarily be political.

Imo, the comedy in D.C. will not replace a comedic tv talkshow and it would not make a difference if he'd chosen the more conservative side of politics. Neither is funny to me.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:03 PM

16,175 posts, read 32,413,442 times
Mod Note: Merged Letterman Intro Question into Letterman thread so that the posts weren't considered off topic and the thread could continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV