Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 03:57 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times

Advertisements

Yuck, no way on Ferguson. I started watching him but his shows always end up being pretty much the same thing - imitating a gay man, connecting everything everyone says to sex. Pretty juvenile, even though he's around 50.

They'll have to look at someone young to follow Letterman - some young CBS star? Someone from the internet? I remember when Letterman first started at CBS they asked Jon Stewart to follow him and he turned them down. Now he makes more money than Letterman!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 05:16 PM

12,266 posts, read 2,968,089 times
I'd be happy to see David Letterman retire.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:08 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
NEW YORK (AP) - David Letterman, already the longest-tenured talk show host on late-night television, has agreed to extend his contract with CBS to remain on the "Late Show" into 2015.

The deal means Letterman will compete directly for at least a year with the two Jimmys - Kimmel, on ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live," and Fallon, who's taking over at NBC's "Tonight" show this winter.

Letterman joked on Friday that he had a lengthy discussion with CBS Corp. President Leslie Moonves "and we both agreed that I needed a little more time to fully run the show into the ground."

Letterman, 66, has been on the air for 31 years since beginning at NBC in the time slot following Johnny Carson in 1982. His contract was set to expire next summer.

It's unclear how long into 2015 the new contract extends. Neither CBS nor Letterman made any mention in Friday's announcement of this being a final contract at the "Late Show."

In the increasingly competitive late-night world, where Letterman also competes with new Emmy Award winner Stephen Colbert on Comedy Central, Letterman averaged 2.89 million viewers for the TV season that ended last month. That's down 3 percent from the previous year.

Jay Leno and the "Tonight" show averaged 3.55 million viewers, the Nielsen ratings company said. NBC is getting ready to take Leno off "Tonight" for a second time, with his exit scheduled for Feb. 6. Fallon, who's moving the show back to New York, starts after the Winter Olympics on Feb. 24.

Kimmel's show on ABC has averaged 2.42 million viewers since it began competing directly with Letterman and Leno in January.

Letterman moved to the top of the ratings when Leno was briefly replaced by Conan O'Brien. But Leno took over again when he returned to late night.

Letterman has remained healthy following quintuple bypass surgery that temporarily took him off the air 13 years ago.

- - - - -
Since Leno's gone by the time this contract expires, I expect Letterman to retire too. I guess retiring when his present contract was up would look too much like he was following Leno's lead. LOL

Old 10-05-2013, 04:26 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Since I've watched late-night talk shows from the time they began, I know all of them are far from scintillatingly funny for long stretching of time. The cd showing the highlights of the Carson show is highlights. Definitely very entertaining. Every Carson show could not be included because many of them were boring.

One of the funniest Letterman shows was when Cher appeared and told Dave in her opinion he was an a&&holl and she said it very clear. It was easy to know what she said due to her moving lips. Letterman looked as if he'd been hit by a sack of wet cement.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Yuck, no way on Ferguson. I started watching him but his shows always end up being pretty much the same thing - imitating a gay man, connecting everything everyone says to sex. Pretty juvenile, even though he's around 50.

They'll have to look at someone young to follow Letterman - some young CBS star? Someone from the internet? I remember when Letterman first started at CBS they asked Jon Stewart to follow him and he turned them down. Now he makes more money than Letterman!
How much money do they both make? Letterman is very very wealthy. Is Jon Stewart?

Old 10-05-2013, 05:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Since I've watched late-night talk shows from the time they began, I know all of them are far from scintillatingly funny for long stretching of time. The cd showing the highlights of the Carson show is highlights. Definitely very entertaining. Every Carson show could not be included because many of them were boring.

One of the funniest Letterman shows was when Cher appeared and told Dave in her opinion he was an a&&holl and she said it very clear. It was easy to know what she said due to her moving lips. Letterman looked as if he'd been hit by a sack of wet cement.
Oh I wish I had seen that. I wonder if it's on YouTube. That's a big thing I can't stand about Letterman. He is so nasty to most of his female guests. He is also stupid when it comes to dealing with strong women like Cher. It's not surprising she would wipe the floor with him.

But I have tuned in to see him making fun of younger more inexperienced female performers. I remember one young woman he got so flustered I thought she would burst out crying while the audience laughed. That was when he first took over the show. I knew then and there I would never like him and I never have.

I found Carson boring most of the time but he was never mean and never belittled his guests.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:02 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Letterman just renewed his contract into 2015.

Here ya go Minervah...

Cher Calls Dave An ******* - YouTube

Old 10-05-2013, 06:34 PM

I see my memory changed some of that event!

Old 10-05-2013, 06:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Letterman just renewed his contract into 2015.

Here ya go Minervah...

Cher Calls Dave An ******* - YouTube
Loved it! Thanks. The fact that Cher is such a strong personality and had control over the situation really humbled Letterman and he actually behaved like a human being. Also, I think as he got older, so did his arrogance. But it was really fun watching that.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:00 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,168 times
I really like Letterman. Before he had a kid, he seemed like he just was ready to lay down and die. I remember he used to walk out onto stage each night and bend over and groan. Then he had a kid, and he really seemed to become happier. I like watching him because you can tell if he really likes his guest or not. And I feel like he's the only late night host who regularly has people on his show that he really wanted on. Like the other night he had Ariel Tweto on (she was on a show, I think Flying Wild Alaska) - her show ended last year, she's not doing anything else in entertainment and didn't have anything to sell, she was just there because Dave and his son had watched her show in reruns and fell in love with it, and Dave wanted to meet a member of the Tweto family. I love watching those types of interviews, because Dave is truly interested in the guest.

Cher was brought up above. Dave recently had Cher on his program, and they seemed to get a long well. You could tell that Dave really was interested in what Cher had to say. I love that. Most talk show hosts are there to showcase the person they're interviewing and help that person sell whatever it is they're selling. Dave actually seems interested.

On the flip side, you can tell when Dave isn't interested in the interviewee. But that's a little funny, too.

He definitely went through a period - a long period - where it seemed like he'd rather be doing anything else but hosting a late night show. But I don't think that's really true anymore. I think maybe having a son has mellowed him out. Additionally, I think, maybe with age, or maybe after having some slices of humble pie, he's started to take himself less seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV